• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2nd fill only 0.5ml is this normal?

Had my 2nd fill today and only added 0.5ml. Was really gutted she said she could add 1ml but thought this would be too much and for me to go back in 4 weeks time.
Started off with 1ml then had 3ml now 0.5 so all in all 4.5 in 10ml band. I was banded on the 31/8/2013 is this normal?
I was hoping for another 3ml so was really suprised.
Someone in the waiting room said all the time your loosing they are slower at adding fluid. She also weighed me and said you have lost 6lbs and I was suprised as thought was 10 or 11. They always weigh me in Kgms and when I converted it I have lost 10lbs. Maybe the nurse was having an off day.
Im seeing the dietican next week. Which is good as only had telephone appointments prior to this. Im going to start a mega exercise kick this week wish me luck.... I really want to try anhd drop 1stone4lb for xmas maybe im dreaming haha

With a small sized band, which is what you have, it is normal to have much smaller fills. The point of restriction is generally a lot lower than it would be in a large or the 14ml sized bands.

As such, they often find that restriction begins to kick in from about 4-5mls and for many is in place at around 6-7 in a small band (not everyone mind as some people need to go higher just as they do with any sized band) as such, fills at this point will be smaller so that you can work to finding that right point of restriction.

Even with a large band, when we begin to reach the point of when restriction is usually felt then they start putting in small amounts, I had several which were only 0.5mls. So yes, it is quite normal.

Another thing they will also go on is when they are placing the liquid into the band - they can feel the amount of pressure from the liquid that is already inside it. If that pressure is quite strong, again they will only put in a small amount.

When I had my defill the other week due to over restriction, when they placed the needle and then the syringe, there was so much pressure it emptied the 2mls out on its own without her having to draw it out.

A very small amount of fill can make a big difference and believe me, you really don't want to be over restricted and its much better to take it slowly and more regularly than big jumps so it gives you the chance of finding the right level of restriction, without being over restricted and for the longer term to give you room to have future fills should you need them :)

I guess they judge everyone to need different amounts..

I started off with 1.8ml (after being told it was empty after surgery!), then was given 3ml at my first fill, so I'm at 4.8ml in a 10ml band.

Maybe I'll only be given a tiny amount for my second fill, who knows?

I'd rather have not enough than too much, I know that!

With lots of people becoming over-restricted they maybe are choosing to take the fills slower also. I definitely think the cautious approach is best. Over-restriction can result often in 1. Eating the wrong foods or 2. Damage to the stomach. You are losing so that is GREAT :)

Thank you for all your replys. It must have had an impact as I couldnt finish my soup earlier and Im not hungry. I think I loose sight of the fact that I havent weighed this in about 7 years so I am so happy.

it can make a huge difference even in a small amount and also can take past liquids and mash and even a while on normal foods before you feel that restriction :)

My consultant emphasised the fact that the band presses on nerves that help to stop trigger hunger pains. Perhaps that is a factor in not feeling so hungry. X

I've also just 0.5 ml this afternoon in my second fill, I also have a small band. I'm in this for something that is life changing, not the usual quick fixes that I crave, so slow is good for me.

Back