• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2nd Timer - 10 years ago it was simple - Now there are too many options?????

BigAus101

Hiya all,

Through the internet and a lot of research I travelled to Germany in 2004 for a gastric band.

It worked great until the aftercare and getting to Germany at the time for fills or even here was just not financially possible.

I went through the NHS and my GP referred me to our local consultant who now is a minor celebrity on the matter. Sitting outside his office and hearing him talk to colleagues about my case pre appointment and how stupid I was to go to Germany and then be told there was nothing he could do was not one of the best days of my life.

Following years of recovering from a divorce and bankruptcy I finally was able to look at having my band filled privately last year only to be told the port had flipped. . . .

I am now in a financial position to have my band removed and a bypass performed. A number of my friends have had it performed, varying results, but all definitely have no regrets. All have been done on the NHS. I do not want to wait and I d only be referred to the same consultant in the area which I wouldn't lower myself to revisit.

So journey start, scour the net, find a good surgeon with good reviews, Belgium, Germany, france, maybe. . . . . .

But whoaaaaa, where to start, google brings up 1000 options, there are things called 'Medical Tourist Agencies', I have sales people ringing me from the states? ? ?

For cost and peace of mind I do not like dealing with the middleman. Back in 2004 you researched yourself, emailed the surgeon directly and went from there. Now it feels like you have to speak to their agent? Is this how it is now? ? ? ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. . . . .

I'm not far off your story. Just I have a few xtra operations done in between.

I went to Paris in 2004 and had a band had aftercare here in Ireland ( she actually flew from uk once a month) had great success lost all weight. Then not far from ur story I went for a fill and my port had flipped so I could have had it turned but I thought feck it I'm at my healthy weight a good bit now I'll take it all out. BIGEST mistake I ever made. I started regaining weight overnight. It was shocking so I then seen wraps where new thing and went for one of them but it was biggest waste of money ever. Then went for another band as it was all I could afford at time and was loosing weight steadily until I got a vomiting bug and my local hospital told me it had to be removed. ( I showed pics since to dr and it didn't) the local hospitL just didn't know how to deal with it.
So now a very long story short and 12 stone back on I am going back to France to get a bypass next month. I just hope that there is nothing hidden that could prevent them doing the operation as I'm 23 stone now and in so much pain and discomfort to do any little thing.

I hope you find somewhere that suits you but if you where looking for my advice I'd stick with France Belgium etc.

No it doesn't have to be. cut out the middle man can you afford to fund in the UK ? Here you can speak direct so quickly. If abroad I managed to speak directly to surgeons by email just do your research find out surgeons name and you should be able to get direct contact details.

Thanks Polly and sara - I ve done a load of research and found a surgeon direct and emailed him, I am due for my op next Thursday in Belgium.
Polly - I feel exactly the same way, whilst I should be worried and nervous about the surgery I ve got to such a state all I am worried about is I hope they can do it, apparently the revision success is up to 9 out of 10 rather then 4 out of 5. I ll be absolutely devastated if I get there and they can only take the band out and not do the bypass.
All you can do is hope for the best I guess and try and keep calm.
Anyone that says having wls is the easy way out needs a slap! ! ! ! !

Back