• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 weeks off work but still dont feel ready??

brad scott

Hi everyone next week wednesday it will be 4 weeks since my op and i still dont feel ready to go back to work i have a job in a factory which can involve some heavy lifting i have gotta go back to the docs as i am still tired after eating sometimes was just wondering for those of you who have had a gastric bypass how long did you have off work
regards brad xx​

Sorry to hear you're struggling Bard. I'm pre-op so can't help but I'm sure someone will be along with some advice soon. Could your sick note be extended?

Try and get another sick note Brad, if you're not feeling up to it no good making yourself feel worse by wearing yourself out lifting stuffxx

yeah i will get another sick note was just wondering how long people had off work i have spoken to a few and it ranges from say 4 to 8 weeks
brad xx

Just a thought brad,
would work consider give you a lighter job for a few weeks because It would prob be better if you could ease yourself back into physical work. I bet they would rather have you there doing something light than not have you there at all.
Lynne x

lynne im afraid not my company doesnt let people do light duties i will just get another 2 weeks off and see how i feel
brad xx

I am still pre-op, but from reading various posts the time off does vary person to person.

If you don't feel ready, then I think you probably need to listen to your body, and get another sick note.

You need to be fully healed before you lift stuff so an extended sick note is the way to go I think.
Take care,
Lynne xx

Hi Brad

I have had 3 weeks and I am signed off for another 2 weeks, I too have a physical job as I am a home carer for the elderly also my wounds havent fully healed and I dont want to catch an infection let alone the bending and stretching looking after them, I am sure your gp will support you till you are ready to go back.

Take care x

I had 4 weeks off but everybody's different, so you listen to your body and get as much rest as you need. This is hugely important, do not rush back to work especially since your job is quite physical and would put strain on your body.
Take care and well done so far!! :)

brad you are probably the best judge of when you are ready to go back, but when your ready, you will know it and will probably get a bit excited about it, so just listen to your body and go from there. i still get tired when ive eaten something, specially if its something substantial, like a main meal, im not so bad with snacks, eg, 2 babybel, or fruit, but i usually find i need to lie down after a main meal, and im a year out at the end of this month, i do have other problems though, so its not all down to my bypass. good luck at the docs, id see how you feel when your getting near 6 weeks, and if you still dont feel ready, try another couple of weeks. big hugs xx

Hi Brad - I had a bypass not a band, but after 3 weeks I was absolutely not ready to go back to work - and I am office based. My GP signed me off for a further 2 weeks and I then did a phased return for another 3 weeks after that.

Back