• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Telling your work about your op and time off??

rainbow27

Hello
I was wondering if you HAVE to tell your work (boss) what procedure your having done? im actually a nurse and i KNOW my boss with me horrible about this and as im not telling people about it before hand as i just need people to be positive with me right now. I work where i live so people will know im getting an op and i will be off work ( was going to lie about what procedure i was having) also time off?? they go mad when people take time off at my work, i know everyone is different but how long did you take off to feel ok about going back to work?. i know i work for the caring profession a joke eh! x

Apart from my closest friends at work, no one else knew not even my manager. Didnt want everyone to know what I was having done, so told them it was abdominal surgery :) I think everyones different, I took 5 weeks off work but could have managed to go back in sooner as its a desk job, I wanted to complete my eating stages first before venturing back

I worked as a clinical support worker in
A busy maternity ward and was only off work for 2 weeks!!

only three people know exactly what i have had done, but no you do not have to tell your works xxx docs will write abdominal surgery. xx

You don't have to say what you're having done. I was off sick for 4 weeks and definitely needed those to properly recover. After that I still needed lots of rest after work and more sleep than before.

You can ask your dr to put abdominal surgery. Initially my note was two weeks but then it got extended as i wasn't going to be ready after open surgery. I had about 6/7 weeks off as i got hit by a sudden wave of exhaustion at 4 weeks. I am a secretary btw xx

thank you for your helpful replies i have an appointment with my doctor on monday she is the only one i go to with weight issues so i will discuss this with her also.
:) x

hi, i am curious to know the answer to this one as well...i am health care assistant in a group home for disabled adults, and the job can be physicaly demanding..i am due to have a bypass, but fortunatly i have been open and honest from day one and every body at work has been fantasticly supportive and full of encouragement ,
i was open and told people in the interview what my intentions were, even though i was advised i didnt have to mention it...but my honesty got me the job !!!
i have been quoted 4/6 weeks off..but the nature of the job can be physically demanding, and i was wondering if this was enough time off ?

I think the standard recommended time off work is 6 weeks and if you job involves lifting or moving heavy objects you would be well advised to take the 6 weeks.

With regard to what you tell your employer ~ honesty is always the best policy. You are placing yourself in a very precarious position if you lie and are caught out then your employer will question if you can be trusted plus if you receive SSP or works sick pay then there is a potential fraud issue. I would imagine that if you are NHS such a lie would lead to instant dismissal. Your employer is under a duty to keep your personal details confidential. If you lie about your operation you are also placing yourself in danger if, Heaven’s forbid, you have an accident or a severe dumping episode – people close to you your immediate work colleagues and you employer need to know the truth.

When I was contemplating surgery, I decided not to tell even my nearest and dearest but very soon after realised the errors of my ways ~ I am delighted that I have not received one single negative comment. If you do get any sly comments post surgery remember it is you who has made a positive decision to get on with your life. Some folk will be jealous as once you are a stunning Pippa Middleton look alike the focus may well shift to them . . . be proud about your operation (it’s no longer rocket science) if you were having heart surgery or even laser eye surgery then you wouldn’t be afraid – shake off the stigma of being fat and join the losers bench with pride . . . x

not telling my boss - im having hernia fixed at same time so going to say its my hernia op as it is actually anyway.

Hi Interesting this one. M friend works in our HR dept so she knew. I discussed it with her and she told me to be up front in case anything went wrong and I was work longer then expected. Their response was great they fully supported my leave as long as I got letter to confirm that this was for health reasons and not cosmetic. For me personally it now means I will not be worring about getting back to work quickly and what if anyone found out. Its different for everyone so go with what you feel is best for you. xxxx good luck at the doc's xxxx

it is interesting reading everybodys posts , like i said i have been open and honest from the start, and told my employer in the interview that i was having bypass surgery, people where i work are so supportive, and i am quite often asked how i am getting on with my weight loss journey....
i have even come across someone who has had a bypass herself so i have learned loads from her.

thanks, yes i guess i am lucky that i have good work mates...i have only been in this job for 6 months,after spending 16 years on benifits!!!..i was so sure that no body would employ me because i am only 5'2 and a bmi of 60 !, not exactly supermodel material....but how wrong i was !!!

thanks for your replies i wish i could be proud of my op but where i work time off is very much frowned upon and my op would most defainatly be. I will probably tell my boss the truth cause i have to but i will be stressing to her i wish it to be kept quiet.
x

Back