• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

4+ days of diarrhoea

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Im getting bloody sick of this diarrhoea now!!!
I started with pains and cramps on Sunday and then the diarrhoea started. I did try to just let it run its course but being afraid of my blood sugars dropping and becoming dehydrated, I took some anti-diarrhoea pills, which stopped it after a little while. Thought it was done...until after a relatively normal next day I then started again in the night, so took some more so that I could get some sleep.
I seem to be relatively ok during the day, gripey but ok, its once night falls that the actual diarrhoea comes on.
What gets me is that both pre and post op I was the type that if I took Immodium etc I would be constipated for a couple of days after, so it shocks me that Im taking these things and then within a day I have the diarrhoea back again. I seriously would let it run its course but I would become rather ill, we bypassers dont take in the highest amounts of nutrients anyway, so put very little in, lose loads in the toilet...you would be left with a very sick person. Also, if it was during the day then I would not take stuff for a day and let it all out, but its not, its at night and I can handle pretty much anything if I have at least a little decent sleep, and this is happening at night...so I take the pills and then hope that if it comes back it is during the day.
I would go to the drop in centre but when hubby had norovirus and was vomitting and had diarrhoea for a week they told him to stop taking pills and just let it run its course, nothing that they could do would help, so I know exactly what they would say, so is it really worth me seeing them!?!
I would think that its something Im eating but all I had today was half of a small cup of chicken soup, a banana and a tiny bit of scrambled egg, made with only egg and about four strands of cheese and I only ate about four tiny forks of that, so I cant really see how any of that could have irritated me, so I think it really is a case of just riding it out and making sure to drink plenty so that I dont dehydrate and also get at least the soup in to keep my blood sugars stable.
It really is sucky and Ive woken up every morning since it began hoping that it has stopped. I actually thought it had today, I got all the way to half eleven before it started again. I have taken two Immodium instants and am waiting on them working, though its an hour later and they havent kicked in yet.
I know that you lovely folks will say "go see the doctor", and I appreciate why, I would probably say the same thing, but what can the doctor really do other than advise me?!
Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble on lol
Steph xx

Sorry that you are feeling poorly. Not sure that I can help with any advise. There has been a virus going around here (surrey) my friend was unwell for about a week. Just sending you hugs and letting you know that I am awake and thinking about you. Hope the pills kick in soon and you can get some sleep xx

Awww thank you xx
Yeah, I think that bug is doing the rounds in a good few parts of the country.
Steph xx

GO TO THE DOCS!!!

There I said it, best to get it checked considering you had a bypass, always best to be safe than sorry.

It might just be a bug but what if it isn't???

Please for your own peace of mind - go to the docs!!

The problem with pills is that they bung you up and hold the virus (infection) in your system for longer. Eventually it'll need to flush out.

You seriously need 24 hours on fluids only to flush your system though.

I'm pre-op and not too sure of the best ways of controling blood sugars but my reccommendation would be to have dioralite (spelling?), lucozade and water/squash ONLY for 24 hours.

I had crypto once and lived on the above diet for 5 days on advice from the doctors. I also had anti-sickness injections 3 times a day just to keep the fluids in!

I do hope you feel better soon.

Steph - go to the doctors, bugs dont usually last 4 days and with your blood sugar problems you dont want to run the risk of it developing into anything more.

Hope you get to sorted soon x

i will say the same as the rest, go to your doctor sweetpea, check your not getting dehydrated, and i hope your feeling more yourself very soon x

Go to the doctors, but i would also say to you to think about lactose intolerance. I know i had it immediately post op, but our bypass is a funny thing.... If you have a few days of waiting for a gp appt think about giving up milk for 24 hours and see what happens with the poops... Just a thought xx

Hi guys
Thanks for the advice. I am calling the doctor tomorrow. Im not quite sure whats what because I have registered with a new doctor and havent heard exactly whats what yet, but Ill phone them tomorrow and see.
Julie, I did that for 24 hours and the runs were just as bad so I added dairy back in today.
We will see what tonight brings as it tends to be at night when this is happening, I think that the pills wear off over the day and then night brings the poops.
If it starts again I wont take anything for it tonight.
This morning I was a mess, I was exhausted and dizzy and even taking a deep breath exhausted me, so instead of my not eating solids as I had been doing, I had some cereal and went back to sleep and woke up with more energy. I had a bit of pasta at lunchtime and a baked potato for dinner. Yes I know, lots of carbs, but my body needs the energy right now and my weight is the last thing on my mind. Even hubby said "well just having liquids isnt having any effect, so have a day of eating or you will get really poorly", so today I have had three meals and drunk lots to hydrate myself.
I feel more energetic now because of it, though my tummy is starting to bubble now and its a bit sore, so I reckon the pooping will begin soon.
So, if it does start again tonight I am not taking anything to stop it then I will call the doctor but I will also go to the drop in centre.
So we'll see what tonight brings I guess.
Steph xx

You can buy sachets of powder in the chemist (sorry can't remember the name but boots have them near the vitamins) that you make up into a drink to restore your lost salts etc.
I have IBS and used to suffer badly - these drinks really made a difference.

Are you taking lansoprazole by any chance? apparantly when it reduces the stomach acid it also makes us more vulnerable to bugs.
I had a stomach bug last week and spent the night alternating between rushing to the loo and vomiting into a bowl. Not nice. It seems to be going around at the moment.

Well its definately not a 'dry' night, it started again about 9pm and hasnt stopped for longer than ten minutes since. Im not taking any Immodium or anything tonight, Im going to just let it run its course, hopefully it will have gone by some time tomorrow, if I let it all out tonight maybe the bug causing it will make an exit and it will all stop.
Im spending the night drinking lots to try to keep hydrated and then tomorrow, along with calling the doctors, Ill get hubby to go and get me some rehydration sachets...are they ok for sugar sensitive bypassers?
Anyway, there we are.
And yep, I do take Lanzaprozole.
Steph xx

Back