• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Three weeks post-op

cherub461

and I'm feeling so fed-up. Healing really well but have developed milk intolerance causing the most horrendous (not to mention smelly) diarrhoea.

I've been on lacto-free for over a week now, also soya latte occasionally while out and on the whole have been a lot better, but even so, at least once a day and when I least expect it I still get diarrhoea.

I'm really worried that whatever nutrients I'm managing to take in with the lacto-milk are passing straight through my system.

It's miserable and I feel I don't know or trust how my body has become. Has anyone else experienced the same? Or if anyone has any advice, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks.

and I'm feeling so fed-up. Healing really well but have developed milk intolerance causing the most horrendous (not to mention smelly) diarrhoea.

I've been on lacto-free for over a week now, also soya latte occasionally while out and on the whole have been a lot better, but even so, at least once a day and when I least expect it I still get diarrhoea.

I'm really worried that whatever nutrients I'm managing to take in with the lacto-milk are passing straight through my system.

It's miserable and I feel I don't know or trust how my body has become. Has anyone else experienced the same? Or if anyone has any advice, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks.

It's quite common to develop a milk/dairy intolerance after bypass surgery - it's possible it was already there but with your new reduced sized stomach, it sort of amplifies the problem. From personal experience I understand not trusting your body and what it's doing - I felt like it went into freefall for ages!
You're only 3 weeks out, everything's new and will take time for you and your body to adjust. Keep up with your vits, etc., and have a word with your bariatric team and dietician. All the best x

Thanks for your reply Wibble, it’s nice to know you understand the feeling of not trusting your body and freefall is a very good description. In hindsight I think the milk intolerance was definitely there before as my chronic rhinitis has improved massively since I’ve been off the milk. Not on vits yet, surgeon has said to start them at four weeks post-op. Dietitian not much use just says to keep on drinking the lacto-free, so will have a word with the bariatric nurse tomorrow. Thanks again x

Some people find goats milk better, but it may be that you just need to lay of the milk for now and try again in a few weeks.

I agree with yvessa try goats milk. My daughter can't handle dairy but is fine with goats milk (she's not had bypass as she's only two lol).

Also it's still mega early days. Things you can't tolerate now you may be able to in a few more weeks. I really regretted my bypass in the early days but I love it now (well most of the time)!

Good luck x

Some people find goats milk better, but it may be that you just need to lay of the milk for now and try again in a few weeks.

Thanks for the reply Yvessa, unfortunately I'm on fluids only for four weeks post-op so can't lay off the milk as is my only source of protein. It's very strange, you would think lacto-free and soya would be fine. Will defo try goats milk though. Thanks

I agree with yvessa try goats milk. My daughter can't handle dairy but is fine with goats milk (she's not had bypass as she's only two lol).

Also it's still mega early days. Things you can't tolerate now you may be able to in a few more weeks. I really regretted my bypass in the early days but I love it now (well most of the time)!

Good luck x

Thanks Emma, will try the goats milk (glad your little un is ok with it too). I'm regretting my bypass at the moment but probably just because I'm feeling so grotty, is nice to know I'm not alone in that feeling and that there's light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks x

Back