• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

4 days post op and milk makes me cough

Hi I'm 4 days post op with a sleeve I have occasional pain in my right side, ive done a bit of research and think it's just muscle damage. Sneezing or coughing feels like somethings ripping inside me and makes me scream. What's making it worse is that anything with milk or milk protein in makes me cough instantly. I feel really weak and need to get something nutritional inside me but not sure what to have, any ideas? Xx

First of all - make sure you press a pillow against your stomach when you sneeze or cough. It really makes a big difference. In terms of the milk, some people develop an intolerance to lactose after surgery. I think it's more common for bypassers, but I have heard of it happening to sleevers as well. I don't think I've ever heard of it manifesting itself as a cough though, but if that only happens to you when you have something with milk protein in it, then clearly there is a connection.

Perhaps try making your own shakes with soy protein powder in it. I make a home made shake (using a hand-blender) based on bananas, blueberries, almond milk and protein powder - but play around with whatever flavours you like. Berries are usually your best choice though since they are lower in sugar than fruit, and also have a lot of antioxidants. I usually freeze the bananas and blueberries beforehand and only use a little almond milk so it ends up like a thick milkshake, but since you are newly post-op I'd keep it as runny as possible. Perhaps substitute the almond milk for soy milk as well to maximize the protein content.

If you're not keen on soy, goat's milk also tends to be easier to digest for people who are sensitive to lactose. There are also other non-lactose protein powders like pea protein you can use instead, but these are incomplete proteins and lack certain amino acids.

Also, things don't have to be "milk" based - clear soups, broths etc are also usually fine at the liquid stage for most providers.

It's very common to feel weak this soon after surgery. I could barely get anything at all down for the first couple of weeks.

Thanks both, Ive had slim a soup, strained to take out the lumps but they only had 50 calories in them and nothing much nutritional, no protein. I just feel weak and want to sleep but have a banging headache.
Milk made me cough prior to the sleeve but no where near as bad as it does now. A few family members are allergic to it so I think I must have an intolerance of some sort. Thought I'd be ok post op but had no idea coughing would cause me pain.
Thanks for the tip about the pillow TiaLi. It helps alot, especially if I can stand up fast enough before I cough rather than staying seated....... is this pain on the right common? Can't feel anything on the left where the stomachs been taken from.
I have lots of almond milk so ill have a go at a smoothie, today I tried an innocent smoothie and it went down ok...... not even sure if im supposed to have them yet but it definitely perked me up a bit. I'll mix it with almond milk next time. I seem to be able to take quite a bit in...... I'm worried im not having enough then worried im eating too much :/ can't seem to win. I'm not sure I can stick the liquid diet for another 10 days but I've lost 5kg since Wednesday so that's an incentive. Good to know others felt rubbish at this stage and it's not just me x

Oh it's definitely not just you...at 4 days post op I was still in hospital! You are going to feel weak for a long time, it is a very big readjustment for your body to have such a drastically reduced calorie intake. My right-hand side was very sore afterwards, and one of the incisions there very bruised. At 4 days post op you are also still going to have a lot of gas inside the abdominal cavity as well, so it is very possible that is what is causing your pain. I wouldn't really worry about it too much to be honest (unless we are talking excruciating pain). You've just had surgery - your body will hurt.

Regarding the almond milk, just be aware that it doesn't actually contain that much protein (in case that is why you want to add it to your Innocent smoothies). Soy milk is better for that purpose. That's why I add protein powder to my smoothies, I only use almond milk to thin it out because it gives a good flavour.

Well , I use a whey isolate, but that might not work if you are sensitive to milk. Whey isolates are much lower in lactose than whey concentrates, so you might still be able to tolerate it, but it's difficult to know for sure. You should be fine with either soya, rice or pea protein powders though. Out of these, only soya is a complete protein (i.e. covers all nine essential amino acids), but not everyone is keen on soya since there is research pointing to it having oestrogen-mimicking qualities. Rice or pea protein do lack some amino acids compared to dairy- or soy-based protein, but these can easily be complemented through the rest of your food intake.

Protein powders can have a strong taste, so I'd start with buying a very small amount of something to try and see if you like it. Don't forget to compare the ingredients list to check for sugar and protein levels, these will vary quite a bit from brand to brand.

Don't forget you can also get a good protein intake from other things such as meat broths (or are you vegetarian?).

I should point out that I am not a doctor, nor a qualified dietitian - so I would contact my team if I were you, to discuss your lactose intolerance and get some guidance on how to structure your diet.

Back