• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2.5 weeks post-op - how did you feel?

TiaLi

So, I'm 17 days post-op today. I keep reading stories about others feeling great, having no issues with foods/liquids, no pain etc etc. Almost sounds like people just rolled out of bed after surgery and got on with their lives.

It's starting to make me a bit worried - my experience is quite different.

I'm still in pain. Admittedly not as much, but it's still there. My right side is still very sore, I can't bend over, can't sit down on chairs that are too low etc as it forces me to use the abdominal muscles too much (which hurts). I spend most of the day in bed, but do try to get up and walk around for a while at least 4 times a day.

On the food side, I was meant to move on to purees a couple of days ago. However, I'm having a really hard time eating. It's not that my pouch rejects food, it's that my whole body and mind rejects the food before I even swallow it. The smell and taste makes me gag. Everything disgusts me. I can't have milk anymore - tastes too sweet. Can't have my home-made protein smoothies - they now taste far too sweet as well. Hot, savoury stuff is virtually impossible, I find it revolting. The only thing I can really get down are cold, acidic things. So at the moment, I'm basically eating 2/3 of a 150g Skyr yogurt a day, and drinking about 0.5 litres of pomegranate juice mixed with loads of ice.

So I guess my question is: is my experience very abnormal? Or did anyone else have similar issues and can reassure me that it's fine, I'm just a bit slower in term of healing? Seems like everyone else are recovering so quickly!

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Oh dear, sorry to hear your having a hard time.

The important thing to remember is this is your journey and everyone will have a different one. So stop trying to compare yourself to others and give yourself a break! You had major surgery just 17 days ago and by now your probably experiencing a bit of the post of blues - double whammy!

On the food side, I would suggest you get back in touch with your team for some advice, they will no doubt have some pearls of wisdom and advice on what you could try.

It's really, really common for tastes to change post op and they may very well stay that way, so its important you try and find something that will keep you going as not getting enough in will only delay your recovery further.

Sending you a gentle hug and hoping you feel better soon x

Hannah2

Honest answer? Crap!

It took me a long time to recover. I didn't go outside for about 2-3 weeks. I went from bed to the armchair and back again.

I struggled with sweet things - I had to stop protein shakes as they were just too sweet. Luckily I found some Waitrose fresh soups that I liked when blended and had them with grated cheese in.

I would contact your team and see what they suggest re. Food.

Really don't compare yourself, we are all different! I had 7 weeks off work whilst I have seen others here go back after two!

I know it seems like an eternity to you now but 17 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things - to you, your whole world has changed in a short space of time and you have gone through a lot. To everyone else it has only been just over 2 weeks. Don't panic about how long you think it is taking to improve - just take one day at a time and do what your body is asking you to do - sleep if you need to sleep!

nafpnd

So, I'm 17 days post-op today. I keep reading stories about others feeling great, having no issues with foods/liquids, no pain etc etc. Almost sounds like people just rolled out of bed after surgery and got on with their lives.

It's starting to make me a bit worried - my experience is quite different.

I'm still in pain. Admittedly not as much, but it's still there. My right side is still very sore, I can't bend over, can't sit down on chairs that are too low etc as it forces me to use the abdominal muscles too much (which hurts). I spend most of the day in bed, but do try to get up and walk around for a while at least 4 times a day.

On the food side, I was meant to move on to purees a couple of days ago. However, I'm having a really hard time eating. It's not that my pouch rejects food, it's that my whole body and mind rejects the food before I even swallow it. The smell and taste makes me gag. Everything disgusts me. I can't have milk anymore - tastes too sweet. Can't have my home-made protein smoothies - they now taste far too sweet as well. Hot, savoury stuff is virtually impossible, I find it revolting. The only thing I can really get down are cold, acidic things. So at the moment, I'm basically eating 2/3 of a 150g Skyr yogurt a day, and drinking about 0.5 litres of pomegranate juice mixed with loads of ice.

So I guess my question is: is my experience very abnormal? Or did anyone else have similar issues and can reassure me that it's fine, I'm just a bit slower in term of healing? Seems like everyone else are recovering so quickly!
As everyone on here has said, we're all different and surgery affects us in different ways. I was a day case and have never had any real issues (apart from the occasional dumping) due to the wls which is a good thing but then I ask myself sometimes if I would have lost more weight if I had felt the effects of the surgery more, as it is most of the time it's like I never had anything done and my weight loss is so slow.

Last edited:

melanie27

I'm 4 days banded post op not feeling too great have pain in my side's and top of my back not sure if its wind and also just below my bread bone and keep goin dizzy was anybksu else like this x

x.Nicky.x

I'm 4 days banded post op not feeling too great have pain in my side's and top of my back not sure if its wind and also just below my bread bone and keep goin dizzy was anybksu else like this x

Hey babe yes its normal. My side was the worst, spesh near the incisions and also my shoulder but it does improve. Drink lots and it will soon wear off xxxx