• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

4 week Milk diet under L&D, what next?

Hi all, I'm in the process of doing the milk diet (1 week down, 3 to go) and just wondered what comes next? I'm craving a curry and need something to focus on! Thanks

Hi and welcome, I'm also at L and D, the answer depends on whether it's your pre op milk diet or you initial milk diet following your first appointment ?

Hi, I never had a first milk diet, this is the only one. The consultant said they would probably see me one more time before the operation.

if it is your first, initial milk diet as at L and D we have to do it right at the start of our journey and just before surgery? So the tier 3 assessment last 1 year or 6 months, if your BMI is above 40 (I believe) it's 6 months if it's above 35 with other co-morbidities it's 1 year, I'm assuming this is your initial milk diet, the reasoning behind it is to prove commitment, show you can tolerate a high protein diet and to help you lose 5% of your body weight which you need to do to continue with the journey, you then have to maintain that loss until you Have the surgery, I've just reached the end of my assessment which was 1 year, you then have another appointment with the hospital doctor who checks your fit enough for surgery and asks you if you want to carry on the journey or continue trying to lose weight yourself, he will ask what diets you have tried and how much you have lost on them, the next appointment is the MDT followed by another appointment with the surgeon and anaesthetist, you then actually go onto the waiting list, I have been told my surgery could be UPTO another year the first year assessment but I know others have been quicker so don't be disheartened by that, I'm looking at a year in my head IF I am accepted, with the NHS there a a lot of hoops to jump through but it does give you time to reasearch wls, consider which procedure you would like and learn about living with your surgery, it is a tool to help you and means a complete lifestyle change which lasts forever, I wish you luck in your journey, there are lots of really useful diaries on here for you to read and the support and advice is amazing.

I've been with L&D for almost 3 years, I was a week before the triple app when I found out I was pregnant in May 2015. I had my daughter in Jan 2016 and had to rejoin back at tier 3 in March 2016.

This time I had my triple appointment last month and discussed the different surgery options (I chose bypass) and the consultant put me on the milk diet for 4 weeks and said they would see me probably once more before surgery. I'm just wondering what happens after the milk diet, but I think you said I just have to maintain until surgery. Are we able to eat again or do we stay on the milk?

Aw I see, your journey is already different to most at L and D then, yes you just have to keep that 5% off under normal circumstances so I guess you will be the same, you do eat, they put you on the re-feed diet which should be fine for you and it doesn't sound like you'll be on it for long, good luck

Back