• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

milk diet questions L&D

Yvessa

Hi,

I've tried to introduce myself a couple of times but my post doesn't seem to show up. I've had my first two ultra long appointments at the L&D and have been put on the milk diet and I was hoping that someone could answer a couple of questions.

The dietician said that I could replace milk with a serving of slimfast, but I can't remember whether she said that I could only have one serving a day. Does anyone else know?

Are you allowed to add herbs and spices to your stock? I have added cinnamon and vanilla to milk but it says on the sheet that its okay.

Also, I took one sachet of the Fybogel and hated it; I have seen other threads mention alternatives- are we allowed to switch? I get the feeling L&D are stricter than some hospitals.

thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yve

I used Slimfast instead of milk for my pre op diet. Did really well on it too :). Fybogel can be quite harsh I find and much prefer Movicol. I had one the other day and it worked within an hour so very pleased with it. Fast, comfortable, easy and reliable. Hope this helps but I am sure someone will be along soon with more advice :)

hi, i was with l&d and the slimfast was mentioned and if anything, i think it was only one serving. i was on the milk diet 100%. you can add herbs and spices to things. and i gave up on the fybogel, as for me, it didnt really work. just drink as much water as you can. good luck x

Hi,

I've tried to introduce myself a couple of times but my post doesn't seem to show up. I've had my first two ultra long appointments at the L&D and have been put on the milk diet and I was hoping that someone could answer a couple of questions.

The dietician said that I could replace milk with a serving of slimfast, but I can't remember whether she said that I could only have one serving a day. Does anyone else know?

Are you allowed to add herbs and spices to your stock? I have added cinnamon and vanilla to milk but it says on the sheet that its okay.

Also, I took one sachet of the Fybogel and hated it; I have seen other threads mention alternatives- are we allowed to switch? I get the feeling L&D are stricter than some hospitals.

thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yve

Hi ya,

I'm a L&Der, I had the bypass in June this year, so if I can help at all, please feel free to ask.

As far as the milk is concerned, I stuck to milk, but I think you can have one slimfast a day, but others on here maybe able to help you more than me on that one.

With regards to the fybogel, I believe others can be used, but only use them if you need too, I didnt actually use any at all.

And dont forget with the milk drink plenty of water or NAS, its the last thing you will want,but it really does help with the weight loss.

Hi first of all, welcome to the site. Hope you find it very helpful and useful to you on your WLS journey.

Everyone who follows the milk diet seems to have some variation. I wasn't allowed to have any slimfast. My diet consisted of 2 -3 pints of Skimmed/Semi Skimmed milk per day, 2 portions of fruit, 3 portions of veg, 1 sugar free jelly and 2 low fat yogs in addition to unlimited water/tea/coffee/and no added sugar (NAS) juice. (I didn't need any laxatives due to the amount of water that I was drinking.) All in all in the tree weeks that I was on the diet I lost 12 pounds, some people are on the diet for less time than I was and some more, again this depends on the hospital and the area that you are in.

Following my surgery I asked my surgeon if my liver was ok and he actually said that it was very small, and in fact fell through the medium retractor that he used to hold it away from my stomach, I told him at that point that I knew three weeks was far too long to be on the MD :8855: Good job I know him very well. (work for him as I am a secretary within the Colorectal/Bariatric Team at the hospital where I had the op.)

Good luck with the Milk Diet and feel free to ask any more questions. xx

I've just finished the milk diet at L&D, lost 7.3%, (17lb) during the four weeks, found I didn't need any laxatives, but really drank a lot of fluid in addition to milk, in my case this consisted of pepsi max, diet 7up and tea. Strange thing is now I'm back on food I didn't go for three days (tmi).
I kept to milk, with crusha, made lattes, drank it hot and cold, but there again I do like milk. I had more trouble with the stock cube and couldn't stomach it after the first week despite trying several varieties. Had the sugar free jelly everyday and the chewing gum. Never felt hungry on this regime but really missed the actual eating process after two weeks.
Anyway welcome to this site and as one L&Der to another if I can help in anyway or another please ask as I only seem to be a little further on than you.

Thanks so much for all the replies. Have decided to stick to one slimfast a day, just for variety. Am not hungry but am finding myself getting a bit bored and actually looking forward to the stock, although I have to really water it down.

Yve

Regarding fybogel, most GPs prescribe the orange flavour automatically or, if not specified, the pharmacist gives that flavour. There is a 'natural' flavour variety (in a green box I think) which can be sprinkled onto food or added to soup/milk rather than being mixed with water and drunk.

Be careful if you plan on switching as fybogel is simply an isophagic husk product (adds fibre to your diet) whereas products such as movicol are laxitives and have greater action on the gut and really should only be used for constipation treatment not as fibre replacement while on the milk diet. We have to be careful as, overuse of laxitives can cause problems with gut motility .

Not aimed at scaring people here but wanting to look out for each other!

Tatiana

Hi Chris,

were you at L&D on the 26th September? I think from your profile pic that I saw you, but I felt to nervous to say hi to anyone.

Yve

Hi Chris,

were you at L&D on the 26th September? I think from your profile pic that I saw you, but I felt to nervous to say hi to anyone.

Yve

i get like that as i'm quite shy away from the keyboard ..............although the other half would say different :D:D:D

I will be at the l&d again on the 25th October. Is anyone else going to be there?

Am finding it quite easy to stick to actually; I always drink quite a lot anyway (pepsi max goes down easy!) and I drink tea and squash normally. I dilute the stock a lot as well so am easily getting my extra fluids. I can't always manage all 5 of my pints and I can't even think of the 6th! But GP has said that this is fine and I will just have to live with side effects.

Hi, me again, no it couldn't have been me on 26th, was there 29th, next visit 31st Oct. Maybe you could make a milk jelly with your last pint, I'm not not sure how to myself but I know someone will tell you how if you are interested

Hi ya,

I'm a L&Der, I had the bypass in June this year, so if I can help at all, please feel free to ask.

As far as the milk is concerned, I stuck to milk, but I think you can have one slimfast a day, but others on here maybe able to help you more than me on that one.

With regards to the fybogel, I believe others can be used, but only use them if you need too, I didnt actually use any at all.

And dont forget with the milk drink plenty of water or NAS, its the last thing you will want,but it really does help with the weight loss.

Hi mate

Just wanted to say hello as 1..You're a guy! & 2...I have also put down that i would like to go to Luton & Dunstable for my choice of Hospital.

Congrats on the weight loss mate,I certainly hope to be in a position like yours one day!

Take care

Andy

Hi mate

Just wanted to say hello as 1..You're a guy! & 2...I have also put down that i would like to go to Luton & Dunstable for my choice of Hospital.

Congrats on the weight loss mate,I certainly hope to be in a position like yours one day!

Take care

Andy

theres a few of us on here ;)

Back