• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

5 Day Pouch Test Friend or Foe?

Thaialina

Hi,

As most of you know I had my bypass last May and it has worked for me. Almost 10 months post op, I am now finding that I have returned to some of my naughty ways food-wise. I now snack more than I should and have discovered naughty foods that I can eat without dumping or making me dump.

I've gone to great lengths to keep my weightloss going; going to the gym and eating healthily. Although I've done all this my weightloss is still very slow in comparison to what it used to be. I really want to shed the pounds as I'm getting married in August and have a dress to fit into, so I was very excited when I heard about the 5 day pouch test website from Shel. This is designed to retain your pouch, to make sure that your pouch hasn't stretched andyou may lose weight at the same time. I had a good look at it, but had a few concerns about the protein as it makes me dump. Also in the neighbourhood, on the website, there were quite a few people who had done it over and over.

I spoke to Gordon, my fiancee, about the 5 day pouch test. After being ill, he knows everything about enzymes released by the pancreas and the absorption process that takes place in the upper stomach etc. He doesn't think that sticking to just a high protein diet is a good idea at all and disagrees with what the woman on the 5 day pouch test website says.

I know this is controversial to a lot of people, however, Gordon has seen one of the best gastrologist in the country who deals with all stomach related operations and pouch disorders as well as numerous top nutritionists. I know that he hasn’t had a bypass, but he has done the next best thing, going through my bypass journey with me! He understands how bad dumping can be and how easy it is to increase your food intake, like I have, by eating foods that we can eat a lot of and get away with without dumping.

He had a look at the 5 day pouch test for me and was amazed at how different it was to the post op diet. He was particularly amazed at the lack of vegetables and the amount of protein. I’m a vegetarian and he knows how much I can suffer if I eat a lot of protein (quorn in my case) and I was really worried about this stage of the diet. He also knows how the op has made my hair thin and knows that I, like many post op people, need all the vitamins I can get, so decided to help me out with his knowledge.

As I found his information really helpful, I asked him to type down his ideas so I could share it with you.

This is what he had to say:

“I disagree with parts of the 5 day pouch test because protein, especially complex protein from protein drinks and all the meat etc, take a long time to break down in the stomach and swell (yes, making you feel less hungry). However, it does no good for your stomach and your metabolism. In addition, protein has to be typically measured to your weight because if you have too much protein it can damage your liver, kidneys (causing kidney stones) etc. Your stomach has to work really hard to break down the protein and the protein swells and your pancreas has to work extra hard to release a lot of enzymes to deal with the breaking down process. Also, it does no good for your colon tract.

In addition, red meat is the worst thing possible for you pouch because it can take 24 hours to digest in the stomach and ferments. You should only have one piece of red meat a week and I would not have that. I have none at all. Just imagine, you eat red meat, it takes twenty four hours to break down, so in that twenty four hours food is just piling on top of it so you get a bigger pouch, a slower metabolism and end up in a sluggish mood.

You should not be messing with diets like this, they do more harm than good. The ultimate way to shrink your pouch back to normal size is to go back to when you had surgery: liquid diet, pureed food etc for two weeks... one week is not long enough anyway because your body will go into survival mode. It takes two weeks to adjust to the new intake of food. Yes, you will be hungry, but if you want your pouch to shrink and lose weight then tough because it will be worth it.

However, I can understand the woman saying about slider foods being carbs etc, but fluffy white potato and other certain carbs (not dead carbs and sugar etc) will not put weight on you at all and helps to speed up metabolism so they should be included in the diet with lots and lots of vegetables because the potato is full of fibre and roughage that your stomach needs. This is because these foods will break down really quickly in the pouch (reducing swelling and the size of the pouch) and the fibre and complex carb content of the veg etc keeps your insulin levels (sugar levels) straight without spikes or dumps. The food’s not particularly nice, but, again, if you want to lose weight and shrink the pouch to its original size, here is an example of what my diet would be:

Day one to three:
Clear soup, soft vegetables, mashed potatoes (plain, no skin, no butter or anything) pureed fish or pureed chicken, vitamin tablet and only drink water through the day.

Day four, five, six, seven, eight, nine to ten:
Vegatables, mashed potato, chicken, fish, water, vitamin tablet and soft fruit (if you don’t dump from the sugar).

Day eleven to fourteen:
Slowly introduce solid foods on the digestion process.

Please remember that carbs don’t swell your pouch or make you gain weight. Calories put weight on. Your body can’t tell if you eat a potato or a plate of veg. It is the total amount of calories you consume versus the calories that you burn a day. I.e. if you eat 1000 calories and you burn only 800, you have 200 calories left that your body stores as fat.

Also, carbs don’t make your pouch grow (except slow digestion foods which makes food pile on top of it as it takes longer to digest). “Plate size” IS THE ANSWER (SIMPLE AS THAT). You should be grazing like a cow "lol" yes like a cow. Little meals often, proven everywhere to keep sugar levels constant, speed metabolism up and the best way to lose weight. This is just what you did after the operation. Also, by eating little and often your pouch will not grow because your stomach is never completely full so it will shrink. Yes, you will be hungry, but DO YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT AND REDUCE POUCH SIZE? Also, do this for two weeks and your body will adapt and you won’t be hungry. If you are well it’s in the head!

Also, have no water at all for at least 15 minutes before or after your meal because this fills your stomach and reduces stomach acid. So it takes longer for food to digest because the body has to make more acid and enzymes to counteract the reduction of stomach acid, hence longer transit time...

So, if you want to lose weight and reduce the size of your pouch it’s simple. Graze like a cow, eat loads of vegatables, mashed potato, chicken, fish, no water before and after a meal, NO POP, No bread, no sugar etc for two weeks. Try to have four little meals a day. No snacking at all. Basically you’re back to a fist full of food maximum. Take at least fifteen minutes to eat your food.”

I'm looking forward to see what you all think about the 5 day pouch test and whether you agree with the healthier alternative that Gordon has kindly come up with.

Very interesting thread and tho I am pre banding I would agree from all that I have researched about both WLS and diet and metabolisim

Thanks for taking the time to write it all down xx

I agree to me its about a totally fresh start with healthy eating in sensible portions...I am dealing with my "head stuff" by having counselling to deal with issues from my childhood and adult life that have made me dependent on comfort eating to ease my "wounds"

I refuse to start following faddy diets as its a totally pointless exercise and it will lead me to that slippery slope and push me down it again.

Here's top health sensible eating and a long healthy life

Agreed :)

Hi,

As most of you know I had my bypass last May and it has worked for me. Almost 10 months post op, I am now finding that I have returned to some of my naughty ways food-wise. I now snack more than I should and have discovered naughty foods that I can eat without dumping or making me dump.

I've gone to great lengths to keep my weightloss going; going to the gym and eating healthily. Although I've done all this my weightloss is still very slow in comparison to what it used to be. I really want to shed the pounds as I'm getting married in August and have a dress to fit into, so I was very excited when I heard about the 5 day pouch test website from Shel. This is designed to retain your pouch, to make sure that your pouch hasn't stretched andyou may lose weight at the same time. I had a good look at it, but had a few concerns about the protein as it makes me dump. Also in the neighbourhood, on the website, there were quite a few people who had done it over and over.

I spoke to Gordon, my fiancee, about the 5 day pouch test. After being ill, he knows everything about enzymes released by the pancreas and the absorption process that takes place in the upper stomach etc. He doesn't think that sticking to just a high protein diet is a good idea at all and disagrees with what the woman on the 5 day pouch test website says.

I know this is controversial to a lot of people, however, Gordon has seen one of the best gastrologist in the country who deals with all stomach related operations and pouch disorders as well as numerous top nutritionists. I know that he hasn’t had a bypass, but he has done the next best thing, going through my bypass journey with me! He understands how bad dumping can be and how easy it is to increase your food intake, like I have, by eating foods that we can eat a lot of and get away with without dumping.

He had a look at the 5 day pouch test for me and was amazed at how different it was to the post op diet. He was particularly amazed at the lack of vegetables and the amount of protein. I’m a vegetarian and he knows how much I can suffer if I eat a lot of protein (quorn in my case) and I was really worried about this stage of the diet. He also knows how the op has made my hair thin and knows that I, like many post op people, need all the vitamins I can get, so decided to help me out with his knowledge.

As I found his information really helpful, I asked him to type down his ideas so I could share it with you.

This is what he had to say:

“I disagree with parts of the 5 day pouch test because protein, especially complex protein from protein drinks and all the meat etc, take a long time to break down in the stomach and swell (yes, making you feel less hungry). However, it does no good for your stomach and your metabolism. In addition, protein has to be typically measured to your weight because if you have too much protein it can damage your liver, kidneys (causing kidney stones) etc. Your stomach has to work really hard to break down the protein and the protein swells and your pancreas has to work extra hard to release a lot of enzymes to deal with the breaking down process. Also, it does no good for your colon tract.

In addition, red meat is the worst thing possible for you pouch because it can take 24 hours to digest in the stomach and ferments. You should only have one piece of red meat a week and I would not have that. I have none at all. Just imagine, you eat red meat, it takes twenty four hours to break down, so in that twenty four hours food is just piling on top of it so you get a bigger pouch, a slower metabolism and end up in a sluggish mood.

You should not be messing with diets like this, they do more harm than good. The ultimate way to shrink your pouch back to normal size is to go back to when you had surgery: liquid diet, pureed food etc for two weeks... one week is not long enough anyway because your body will go into survival mode. It takes two weeks to adjust to the new intake of food. Yes, you will be hungry, but if you want your pouch to shrink and lose weight then tough because it will be worth it.

However, I can understand the woman saying about slider foods being carbs etc, but fluffy white potato and other certain carbs (not dead carbs and sugar etc) will not put weight on you at all and helps to speed up metabolism so they should be included in the diet with lots and lots of vegetables because the potato is full of fibre and roughage that your stomach needs. This is because these foods will break down really quickly in the pouch (reducing swelling and the size of the pouch) and the fibre and complex carb content of the veg etc keeps your insulin levels (sugar levels) straight without spikes or dumps. The food’s not particularly nice, but, again, if you want to lose weight and shrink the pouch to its original size, here is an example of what my diet would be:

Day one to three:
Clear soup, soft vegetables, mashed potatoes (plain, no skin, no butter or anything) pureed fish or pureed chicken, vitamin tablet and only drink water through the day.

Day four, five, six, seven, eight, nine to ten:
Vegatables, mashed potato, chicken, fish, water, vitamin tablet and soft fruit (if you don’t dump from the sugar).

Day eleven to fourteen:
Slowly introduce solid foods on the digestion process.

Please remember that carbs don’t swell your pouch or make you gain weight. Calories put weight on. Your body can’t tell if you eat a potato or a plate of veg. It is the total amount of calories you consume versus the calories that you burn a day. I.e. if you eat 1000 calories and you burn only 800, you have 200 calories left that your body stores as fat.

Also, carbs don’t make your pouch grow (except slow digestion foods which makes food pile on top of it as it takes longer to digest). “Plate size” IS THE ANSWER (SIMPLE AS THAT). You should be grazing like a cow "lol" yes like a cow. Little meals often, proven everywhere to keep sugar levels constant, speed metabolism up and the best way to lose weight. This is just what you did after the operation. Also, by eating little and often your pouch will not grow because your stomach is never completely full so it will shrink. Yes, you will be hungry, but DO YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT AND REDUCE POUCH SIZE? Also, do this for two weeks and your body will adapt and you won’t be hungry. If you are well it’s in the head!

Also, have no water at all for at least 15 minutes before or after your meal because this fills your stomach and reduces stomach acid. So it takes longer for food to digest because the body has to make more acid and enzymes to counteract the reduction of stomach acid, hence longer transit time...

So, if you want to lose weight and reduce the size of your pouch it’s simple. Graze like a cow, eat loads of vegatables, mashed potato, chicken, fish, no water before and after a meal, NO POP, No bread, no sugar etc for two weeks. Try to have four little meals a day. No snacking at all. Basically you’re back to a fist full of food maximum. Take at least fifteen minutes to eat your food.”

I'm looking forward to see what you all think about the 5 day pouch test and whether you agree with the healthier alternative that Gordon has kindly come up with.

Great post, Sara

Thankyou so much for this post, Its very informative and I think I will give it a go starting tommorow!!
I am struggling at the miniute, because I have no apitite at all and when I do decide what to eat I never really enjoy it and struggle to eat it, and I only eat because i know i need to eat to lose weight, so Maybe starting back at the begining will be good for me. so Thankyou to you and your hubby x

Hi Sara

Great to see you back and about.

I've looked at the research behind the 5 day pouch test, the idea is to just re affirm retsrictive control over your pouch, not to change the way you eat, a badly stretched pouch can only be re shrunk by surgical revision, though i've also been told by my consultant that its no mean feat to actually stretch the pouch, the part of the stomach its made from is surrounded by muscle and therefore not very stretchy.
So the 5 day pouch test re affirms control over bad habbits, re affirms in your mind that you do still have restriction, and the protien intake and reduction of carbs re starts your metabolism so you start to lose again ! I cant see cutting carbs and re establishing control over a 5 day period, by regressing to fluids for 2 or 3 days followed by primary protien for 2 or 3 days isn't going to damage you, provided you return to a healthy balanced diet following this, lets face it the Atkins diet has a degree of success as thats based on protien intake and reduction of carbs, LL and CD seem to work as they remove certain food groups for a period of time.
Also everything i've read about breaking plateau stages points at protien intake and cutting carbohydrate intake down, the 5 day pouch test sounds to me like it makes sense !

Anyway good to see you back ;)

Hi Silver Surfer,
Thanks for the welcome back and your comments. I understand what you're saying about the 5 day pouch test, that it won't really damage you over 5 days. However, I wanted something that best reflected a healthy diet whilst restricting my intake, which is why I was happy to do something along the lines of what Gordon has suggested. I just feel like it's going back to the beginning, eating what we were told by our dieticians and surgeons post op. Nice to hear your opinion though, it's great to share ideas.
Keep in touch.

Day 1, 4.22pm
This morning was like Hell. I sipped my meal replacement low carb carton over breakfast and lunch and had a cup of tea and some sugar free Vimto cordial. I realised this afternoon that my stomach wasn't hungry at ll, it was just mind hunger. Grrr.
I gave in to strained spring vegetable soup and only managed a quarter of it a minute ago. Mentally I would have sipped it all, but I was physically too full.
I'm trying to keep busy to keep my mind off food, but the only thing on my mind is food. I would love to have something to chew on. At the end of the day, yes, it's hard, but it will do me good in the long run. I'll keep you all posted on how it's going later.

Hi Sara

The 5 day pouch plan was written by a US consultant to tackle bypass failures in US paitence, apparently the US has a higher failure rate than the UK, though this might be partly down to the amount of ops performed yearly.

What your really doing is the pouch plan as essentially it starts with a 2 day regression to fluids clearing you out before re establishing control over your pouch again ! i found the eating time of 15 minutes interesting too, this kind of works because the faster you eat the less you chew which makes the food in your pouch slightly more solid and therefore you gain restriction quicker and stay full for longer !

I'll be interested to see how you get on and what the outcome is at the end ?

Interesting. At the minute I'm making sure that I only have a food alternative in liquid form (milkshake or soup) 4 times a day and, even at the fluid stage, I'm trying to stop when I'm full, so hopefully this will get my brain to understand that I'm full. I will definitely keep you posted on my progress.
Thanks.

Day 1, 10.03pm
I have had another milkshake at tea time and have just had the rest of the clear soup now. Although I know I'm full, I still want to eat. I just have to keep in mind that it will take time to retrain my brain. I was also surprised at how tired I was early on tonight. I suppose it's different to post op because I've carried on with my normal daily routine as opposed to lying around as I did post op.
Tonight, when I was daydreaming about chewing literally anything instead of sipping, I started thinking about why I'm doing this. It dawned on me that I had lost the determination that I had post op to lose weight because I've lost some weight and have returned to actually living life. So, the pouch test isn't just training my brain to feel full, but is making me think the way I was thinking immediately post op. I now want to do all I can to lose the weight and feel much more motivated, just like I did after my op.
If I feel like this one day in, God knows what I'll be thinking by the end of this week!

Day 2, 9.43pm

Hooray! Today has been a much easier day. I've had a really busy day and wasn't home until gone 8 tonight, so it's either the fact that my body's getting used to being on a liquid diet or that being busy, I haven't had time to think of food. If anyone is thinking of gving the pouch test a go, then I would strongly advise you to start on a busy day, when you have too much to do so that you don't think of food.
I had a milkshake for breakfast and lunch, acegetable cup a soup for an early tea and have now just had some clear soup. I've sipped almost 2 litres of diluted sugar free vimto through the day and feel nice and full.
Although I'm doing the test to improve my eating habits and to test my pouch, I really hope that I'll lose some weight by doing it. It's the TOTM at the minute so I doubt I'll see the results, if there are any, on the scales until that's passed.
All in all though, today's been a good day and I'm now happy that I survived yesterday's mind hunger torments.

Today's been a good day again. I'm now used to the milkshakes and can actually drink them, as opposed to sipping them like I did before. I actually look forward to them now and they really fill me up.
I had one for breakfast, a cup of tea in between and one for lunch. I've been sipping sugar free vimto cordial throughout the day, as usual. I'll probably have half my clear soup at tea time and then the rest of it this evening to keep me nice and satisfied.
The 3 days seems to have gone so fast. I can't believe that I'm on pureed food tomorrow. Having shakes and soups is so easy and I'll now have to start thinking about what to make for tomorrow, which I'm not used to. I have some shakes left over so I'll just save them for a rainy day.

Hi sara

Thank you for the information it is great....... what type of soups and shakes are you having..... sorry to come across completely dumb

Hi Mandy!
You're not dumb! I'm on Carb Control shakes in cartons with straws from Tesco and I have Knorr's Florida Spring Vegetable Soup, which I strain the bits out of to make it clear. A packet makes 2 servings for me now.
I was meant to go to the gym tonight, but was absolutely knackered after tutoring tonight and had to rush home to get my fill of soup. I don't suppose it helps that I didn't sleep until 2.30 this morning and was up at 6.45 today.

Back