• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pouch Test - why protein is good.

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Found this on another (shhh) forum, and its extracted from an article on weight gain after surgery.

Patients who regain some or all of their weight back after surgery seem to have one behavior in common which has been dubbed “soft calorie syndrome.” Symptoms of “soft calorie syndrome” include eating many soft or liquid, calorie dense foods that will pass rapidly through the stomach and leave you feeling hungry an hour later. Typical foods that fall into this category would be ice cream, sugared liquids, mashed potatos, juices and chocolate/sweets. However, any food that dissolves in water would be considered a soft calorie food. This would also include chips, biscuits pastry … I think you get the picture.

If you want to do a test on your own just take a cup of water, add one teaspoon of white vinegar to mimic the acid in your stomach that helps dissolve foods, and put a small amount of simple carbohydrate food (white bread, potato chips, pastry) into the water mixture. You will find that the food dissolves very rapidly. Now, put a piece of protein based food (meat, egg, cheese) into the water mixture and you will find that it will not dissolve for hours. This is not a very scientific test; however, the same principle applies to the way your new stomach pouch responds to food post-operatively. Protein foods will stay in the pouch longer, keeping you full longer.

Have been reading that second post lots, and decided I'm going to do the 5 day pouch test next week. Need the chance to get in some supplies first!

im gonna read up on that now...its so strange but i was gonna ask the question how easy or common is it for people to gain weight after surgery..would they need to be eating these soft calories on a very regular basis...also i thought we only consumed 30% of calories from food we eat so i always imagined you would have to consume loads of food??? there is so much still to learn xxx

Some people do eat alot. I was looking at a thread on another forum entitled what did you eat today - 12 months + post op and it was scary the amount of cr@p a lot of them are eating, pizzas and chips and chocolate all day long.

Some people do eat alot. I was looking at a thread on another forum entitled what did you eat today - 12 months + post op and it was scary the amount of cr@p a lot of them are eating, pizzas and chips and chocolate all day long.

see its nice to have a treat but why after putting yourself after the trauma of surgery would you try and eat the same way as before...i honestly cant understand it...but i suppose if food is your friend is hard to let go. :confused:

what a great find...how interesting. i had obviously heard about bypass and bands 'not working' for a few people and could not get my head around it...but this explains why. x

My bariatric nurse told me why; people dilute their favourite foods with water or a hot drink to get it through. Hence the band being easier to cheat with sweet foods in particular (in her words) because there is no dumping risk v bypass.

see its nice to have a treat but why after putting yourself after the trauma of surgery would you try and eat the same way as before...i honestly cant understand it...but i suppose if food is your friend is hard to let go. :confused:

I totally agree. We all know WLS is not the easy option; not just because of the physical side of it, but also because the demoins need to be worked on too.

Ta Teen :) Have ordered some vanilla protein shake as there are some nice looking recipes on the site for days 1 & 2 but I only have chocolate and strawberry! It's due to arrive Monday morning so that will be my aim to start then.

Will be watching with interest...good luck

*bump* for the non scientific but helpful test at the top :)

Cheers for digging this out Sal, had forgotten all about it!

Cheers for digging this out Sal, had forgotten all about it!
Lol thanks Shel:DI was just reading it though and thinking "why does shel need to do this?", then I saw it was from last year:eek::eek::D

P NP ladies...I have been searching recipes for 5DPT and came across this :) Thanks Shell x

Wow well done! Thats fantastic news :p Good on ya! x

Sal I have the 5dpt book here sat doing nothing. pm me your address and I'll post it to you.

I am just finishing the 5 day pouch test today and I have lost a total of 6 1/2lbs since I started!!

Wow well done :happy096: thats brilliant i'm on day 2 so got another 3 days but i will be glad when i can eat proper food again :D

Back