• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

5 days post gastric Bypass

geminilady75

Good Evening,
Just wanted to stop by and say hi to everyone.
I really wish I had found this forum prior to my GB but I've found it now.

I am 37, married with 2 sons aged 17 and 10.
Been overweight since I was 10.
Got bigger simply due to eating far too much but when the time came to admitting enough was enough, weight loss became near on impossible.
Tests showed I had PCOS and an Underactive thyroid.
On top of that I have degenerative discs which are crushing the nerves...it's called Cauda Equina syndrome,

Can you say "VICIOUS CIRCLE"? LOL

Bariatric surgery was mentioned a few years ago but I felt I wanted to keep trying weight loss the conventional way.
Besides, I was "only" 17 stone.

Fast forward 2 years and I went to the doctors feeling unwell...turned out I had Viral Meningitis...I also decided to get on the scales and they screamed 128kgs at me...over 20 stone :eek:

That was the moment I knew my life needed to change.

I was referred to Chelsea & Westminster Hospital and got my appointment within 2 months.
When weighed I was down to 120kgs BUT that was more to do with not being able to eat.
At my 2nd appointment I was up to 124kgs but THAT was because I was eating normally :(
I was told to go away and lose 4kgs in 8 weeks.
I attended 2 pre-op workshops and by the second one I was down to 118kg :D
I couldn't wait for my next appointment with the consultant and finally get a date.

But that day I felt my world had caved in.
According to the consultant, despite reaching all the goals, the criteria for surgery had changed in April and I didn't meet any of them.
I ran out of the room, locked myself in a toilet, curled up into a ball and sobbed and sobbed like a baby.

My husband was still with the consultant and in my absence talked about paths we might be able to take...such as the glucose test.

That was arranged for the following day but for 24 hours I felt numb.
Couldn't talk to anyone, just kept hearing the words "not eligible" over and over in my head.
I won't lie, I considered doing something ridiculous...again...that's another story.

I went ahead and did the blood test, hopeful but knowing it was going to be a waste of time BUT by the time I got home I had a call from the Bariatric Nurse telling me the consultant had made a mistake.:confused:
I did in fact come under one of the categories for sub-fertilitiy due to the PCOS.
She told me my case was being discussed the following day and she would ring me as soon as she knew the outcome.
I was an absolute bag of nerves waiting for the call.
It came at 9am and she asked if I could get to the hospital within the hour.
I have NEVER moved so fast.
Long story short...I WAS ON THE LIST!!!!!:eek:

I received a call a month ago asking if I could do the 25th October....well duh!!! OF COURSE

An hour later another call telling me the surgeon wasn't available that day :(
"How about the 18th?"

Are you freaking crazy?!!!!!! HELL YEAH!!!!!!

So started the LSD at 117kgs and on day of op down to 112kgs.

I also quit smoking on the day of the op and have been using E-Lites...something else to discuss at some point.

5 days post op 109kgs

My new life has just begun and I can't wait to see where it's about to take me :D

Thank you for letting me ramble.
I look forward to getting to know you all.

Tina x