• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie: Pillar to Post

Chrysalis_x

Hey guys and dolls!

I'm new(ish) to the group, I've been somewhat lurking and reading stories before I decided to post my own!

If you don't like essays, you won't like this however it's all relative so please read on....

I was first referred for bariatric surgery in 2010! Yes 2010. Had to jump through all the hoops, referred to a dietician, saw her for a few months, referred to the physical activity group for a few months, all whilst a 'decision was being made'. It went quiet for a further few months so I contacted the hospital (Homerton) to find out what the hold up. Allegedly, my files 'had been lost' and I should have received a response in the post and was asked to call back in a few days whilst this was investigated. With that time a letter had been sent to me... Stating that due to finding, surgeries were in hold, and once the bar had been lifted my case would be re-assessed. After several months of finding out if said bar had been lifted, my efforts were futile. I then pushed it to the side to 'go it alone' and battled for the next four years gaining, losing, gaining, you know the rest.

I contacted my doctor in May 2014 for a re-referral, appointment was scheduled for July 3rd and July 28th to see the surgeon and attend the assessment group. Surgeon stated that she felt I should have the surgery and dosent understand why I did not have it back in 2010 or been contacted since then, she was as perplexed as I was. She stated at the MDY she would be vouching for me but that alone was not a guarantee, however, my BMI was just over 50, therefore I fit the criteria.

I contacted the hospital today to find out when I was discussed at MDT, I was told by the outpatients that my case had been heard last week Tuesday. Now I'm not expecting the co-ordination to jump up and contact me ASAP, however a little over a week is more than enough time to type a letter out or call (I may be wrong but because of my last experience, I'm extremely anxious). The outpatients also mentioned that after the meeting a note was placed stating 'appointment to be made at a later date'. I then contacted the co-ordinatior who stated that my case had been heard last week and she had even contacted by the Eating Disorder psychologist to arrange an appointment to see me. The co-ordinator then stated that she was on holiday so hadn't been able to arrange an appointment but would be doing so shortly (same reason she gave me back in 2010 when my files were allegedly lost whilst she was on holiday). I then contacted the outpatients myself to arrange an appointment (yes, I took it upon myself), the next available date is DECEMBER! For the psychologist to see me and say yes or no. That really angered me, I took the appointment, had I of waited on the co-ordinator (remember notes said book at a later date) it would have been in 2015.

Now please tell me, why am I experiencing such delays? I feel as if I'm embroiled within a tick box affair. Is it normal to have to wait so long? The co-ordinate told me it is part of the process to see the eating disorder lady and all applicants have to?

I was hoping to have surgery this year, at least within a 7 month referral to surgery timeframe. Am I being over zealous in expecting this?

Hi
I tried to go down the route of nhs band took over 2years to be assessed and then went on a weight management thing for 6 months for them to say it was a go for surgery but then got denied by the counselling woman as she felt there was an underlying reason to why I was obese! Was told they would re assess me in 6 months!
I've never heard back from them! My doctor declined me to have a band and said I needed to have a bypass I didn't agree so went privately and had a band fitted 3 weeks ago it's all about where you live to weather you have it, so I've been told also I've been told it depends how much your doctors surgery have in the kitty to allow surgery to go ahead! I feel the nhs is failing and letting us all down! Hope this helps good luck on your journey! :)

sorry to hear of the shoddy way you seemed to have been treated .
I hope things sort themselves out for you and soon .do keep us in the loop with your progress

I went down that route for two years then gave up, as they said I had to get bigger and develop type 2 diabetes first , So I have to get worse before they make me get better! what a joke, that's why I have gone down the private route. hope all turns out ok for you x

Hi Chyrsalis, what a nightmare journey you have had. Fingers crossed it will be smooth for you from now on.

I am so sorry you've been through this, you must be livid! However, it sounds like you only need to see the psychiatrist before being added to the waiting list. Please cheer up, I'll be rooting for you. Big hug

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks everyone!

I have indeed cheered up!, an appointment was offered to me for October 15th (bringing it forward 2 months which I was pleased with), then for the Psychologist herself to call me and offer me a group session of September 8th! (Just gone) result! I attended, it was informative and now my case is to be re-discussed at MDT shortly... fingers crossed I am then supplied with an actual date!

I hope they dont feel I need some one on one counselling, I was very vocal and contributing to the sessions, I know they also use these sessions to quietly assess so heres hoping!

xo

Thats great news. Fingers crossed.

Hi
I hope you get the news you need and want soon
x

Back