• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A couple of post op questions?

Sarah Metcalf

Hi, on the night of my op I was told to sleep propped up, but I forgot to ask how long for. Can I sleep flat now (I can sleep fine on my side)?

How many weeks did you have to keep your surgical socks on for? My surgeon has told me 6 weeks, and I was wondering if this is the norm?

Also, is it normal to have a slight cough after surgery?

Thank you xx

Hi, on the night of my op I was told to sleep propped up, but I forgot to ask how long for. Can I sleep flat now (I can sleep fine on my side)?

Hiya Sarah, i slept propped up for about a week, you will know when its comfy to lay flat, laying on your side may take a little longer with port pain as that takes the longest to heal x

How many weeks did you have to keep your surgical socks on for? My surgeon has told me 6 weeks, and I was wondering if this is the norm?

6 weeks is the normal, the more active you become the less time you will need to wear them, they are to prevent Dvt's x

Yes the cough is from the ventilation tube this will ease in a few days.

Thank you xx

Welcome to the losers bench i hope you feel better soon..........Liz x

Thanks Liz, how're you?

Your welcome Sarah, im fine thanks all going well here for me & im ajusting really well to my convertion and im 6 weeks post op today, each day will get better with your band as the swelling and wind is what causes the discomfort x

Hi Sarah, Liz has already answered your questions. Just wanted to welcome you to the losers bench and wish you well in your post op journey.

Welcome to the Losers' Bench Sarah.
Grace xxx

Hi, on the night of my op I was told to sleep propped up, but I forgot to ask how long for. Can I sleep flat now (I can sleep fine on my side)? As long as you feel comfortable Sarah! I sleep propped up anyway, I couldnt sleep on my side for a couple of weeks.

I didnt have to wear these after my band, I was up and active and back to work after a week but I did have a weeks worth of clexane which is used to prevent DVT - it was quite an experience injecting myself!. I suppose the hospital are either being cautious and following their own procedure for after a general anesthetic.

I had a sore throat for a fews days after the op.

Thank you xx

Take care Sarah! x

My dr said to sleep propped if I get heartburn, I haven't, so I've been sleeping flat or on my side. I don't have the socks, so I can't help you there. I have a cough too, the nurse said it's fluid from having the breathing tube and it should go away in a few days. My throat was terribly sore too (from the breathing tube) but it's much better today.
Just curious, have you felt like eating at all? I just want water, but I've not wanted to eat anything. I did force myself to eat a few bites of chicken broth yesterday.

Hi Sarah

Right i was never told to sleep propped up, not sure why you were told to unless it's for comfort with your wounds... I spent 1 night in hospital propped up and then when i came home i just had 3 pillows instead of 2. I was sleeping (for a few hours - we know we don't sleep properly for the first week or two post op) on my side by night 3... I kept my socks on for a week but like someone else said i was active going for short walks and keeping moving around the house. Wish i had them on now my feet are sooo cold!

Hope you're feeling well and enjoy the ride xxx

Thanks everyone, the wind and cough are easing now and I'm sleeping normally.

Disneymom how's it going? I'm eating small amounts regularly, things like fruit juice, soup, yoghurt and icecream. However, I'm developing a major problem with soup, the thought of it makes me want to gag!! So today I've had some pasta sauce (no pasta) and I've ordered some veg to make my own sauces but I'll thin them out.

Back