• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A couple of questions.

truffle♥

Im 4 days out of surgery now and feeling a bit like my old self:)
Just a couple of things I was wondering about:

When can i sleep on my side again??

Will i ever be able to take pills like paracetamol or is it always gonna be liquids
now?

does there come a point where you can suck a polo or somethinng because i am missing my chewing gum:sigh:

Thanks in advance to the experienced banders here xxx

As soon as you feel more comfy on your side you will be fine,I felt 6 weeks was a time for feeling and doing normal things like sleeping on my side,enjoying a walk,bending down etc.We are all different so listen to your body.And yes you can take huge tablets/capsules later,once the swelling round our new bits goes down.Forceval is big but goes down no problem.Dont forget we havent had anything done to our throat!Suck away on sugar free mints or sweets but not too many as the make you poop.Later there is no problem chewing gum,just be aware of swallowing air.I can drink fizzy drinks but you can no longer gulp it down,more sedate sipping!You will feel normal again and eat most of the things you have always eaten just smaller portions.I can eat rice,pasta,bread,meat,fish,fruit,veg,trifle,ice cream,curry in fact anything,just MUCH smaller portions and they satisfy me.My surgeon is pleased I am now NORMAL whatever that is!Maz x

I think everyones experiences are completely different i am 13 days post op and have been sleeping on my side for the last few nights but my friend couldnt for about 4-5 weeks after its whenever you feel comfortable enough to do so, im on quite a lot of medications tgat i take daily and are all smallish tablets my surgeon was happy for me to carry on with them all as normal the only one i have to avoid is naproxen as its quite a large tablet. Cant help you with the mints/chewing gum ive just been brushing my teeth 4 times a day due to the horrible taste in my mouth ive started having. Think its all trial and error to be honest wot works for someone else may not work for you. Charlie xx

Banders can be different to bypassers, and I believe most providers say for banders to avoid chewing gum totally. Sucking on a sugar free or normal mint can be fine. If i remember correctly i didnt do that until i was back onto normal foods. Sugar free stuff in moderation though as the artificial sweetners can sometimes create little problems of their own :rolleyes: Re pils etc, I have normal sized ones and have done right from the start of the journey. They don't get stuck at all. I do have liquid iron, but only because the tablets make me sick. Don't need vitamins because I have a balanced diet. Just taking the iron for a few weeks in the build up to an op, as I don't want to risk it being cancelled if I am anaemic.

Truffle, normal service like sleeping on your side will be resumed as soon as you feel comfy ... Hope you are well and looking forward to the losses following xxx

I think everyones experiences are completely different i am 13 days post op and have been sleeping on my side for the last few nights but my friend couldnt for about 4-5 weeks after its whenever you feel comfortable enough to do so, im on quite a lot of medications tgat i take daily and are all smallish tablets my surgeon was happy for me to carry on with them all as normal the only one i have to avoid is naproxen as its quite a large tablet. Cant help you with the mints/chewing gum ive just been brushing my teeth 4 times a day due to the horrible taste in my mouth ive started having. Think its all trial and error to be honest wot works for someone else may not work for you. Charlie xx

Charlie the horrible furry mouth will sort itself out once eating more and back on normal foods. It's horrid though isn't it :eek:

Flutterby hehe yes it is horrible isnt it but at least the dentist will be happy with my dental hygiene : P xxx

Thanks everyone, i will definitely never have chewing gum again as i would be terrified of it getting stuck and i certainly dont want to create any more gas lol. Im glad to hear though that i will be able to have the odd sugar free sweet when the time comes i think this will certainly help me after meals.
Thanks everyone for the help xx

Charlie Im a side sleeper too and had my surgery last thursday, I really struggle with sleeping on my back but have two rather thick squishy pillows, I have set them up so that my tummy and side can rest on the pillows and have support so I am half on my side and half on my back . . .its a bit uncomfortable on one side more than the other, but I found its the only way I can get off to sleep. I have about 10 pillows propping me up so Im really kind of sleeping sitting up, supported but comfortable :)

If you're having problems with gas (I had a difficult day with it yesterday feeling so so bloated) someone suggested deflatine to me, I picked some up yesterday and you chew the tablets and it does help disperse it, maybe worth a go if you've not tried it yet.

Hey
I absolutely hate sleeping on my back too just cnt settle i too propped myself up with pillows and put a couple under my stomach for it to rest on. I couldnt sleep on my left side but im completely back to normal now : ) its heaven haha! Ive not had any wind pains upto now i thought i did coz of this pain in my shoulder but ive had rennies, windeze, peppermint cordial my best friend who is a nurse has been round this morning and she is pretty certain i have a trapped nerve in it so ive taken some nerve tablets i use wen my back goes into spasm and had an extra dose of my daily morphine it seems to have taken the edge off a little, how r u feeling? Xx

Back