• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A heap of questions re the gastic band

cass1e

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you could answer the following questions ... not sure if I trust the salesman type people at the hospital group!!

So here goes ...there are alot of them!!

1. I am worried that I use food as a crutch and therefore I am going to find this very hard emotionally ....has anyone else thought this and how have they got through it?

2. What happens if I can't stick to the pre-op diet?

3. I am going on holiday in April - how soon after the surgery can I fly and can I fly if the band is inflated?

4. I love diet coke and I think I am going to have to give it up ...what happens if you drink it with the band in?

5. Do people lose weight without exercise or is it necessary to exercise as well?

6. I eat when I am not hungry - probably the emotional thing again and also sometimes boredom. Will the band stop this?

7. In general is it an overnight stay in hospital or are you discharged the same day. How long before you were up on your feet again after the op?

8. How many fills did you have to have to get it right and how did they make you feel.

Thanks again in advance. I would also like to find a "buddy" who is going to do this so perhaps we can chat and go through the whole thing together.

Jo
x

Hi Jo
I dont have all the answers as I too have not had my band yet. I am having mine on the NHS I have been told that :
Fizzy Drinks - Its a NO BUT my dietician has had many people go through the band and after a few months they can have fizzy drinks, she also said that you can open the canor bottle pour into a cup and leave in frdge for it to settle. The fizz is suppost to cause gas in your stomach and also rot the band - dont know if this is true ?

I too eat when I am not hungry so woudllove to know if the band can actually STOP you eating.

I go to the gym 3 - 5 times a week so theexcercise thing i am not sure of I am hoping to continue this.

Good luck and I hope you get all teh answers x

Helen

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you could answer the following questions ... not sure if I trust the salesman type people at the hospital group!!

hi jo ill answer best i can from my own experiences

1. I am worried that I use food as a crutch and therefore I am going to find this very hard emotionally ....has anyone else thought this and how have they got through it?

when banded it doesnt stop the habbit or want for the food after being an emotional eater, but it does help you deal with it better.

the pre op diet is to shrink the liver, its best to stick to it as much as possible, as the surgeon has to move the liver 1st to get the band in, they can tell if the diet hasnt been followed by how fatty the liver is when they go in.
3. I am going on holiday in April - how soon after the surgery can I fly and can I fly if the band is inflated?

i have never flown with a band in but ive heard that it can go a little tighter after flying.

4. I love diet coke and I think I am going to have to give it up ...what happens if you drink it with the band in?

i gave it up the 1st year as i was told the gas expands in the pouch and can cause bad wind pains, i now drink it but i have to let it go flatt 1st.

5. Do people lose weight without exercise or is it necessary to exercise as well?

initially you can loose weight with out exercising but the weight loss will stop after so long and exercise helps alot. i used to go to the gym, but now i want to do water aerobics.

6. I eat when I am not hungry - probably the emotional thing again and also sometimes boredom. Will the band stop this?

the band will not stop this as its classed as grazing, so will power will be needed between meals, crisps, choc ect will go through the band, so its about having healthy snacks available if needed.

7. In general is it an overnight stay in hospital or are you discharged the same day. How long before you were up on your feet again after the op?

1-2 nights is general, i was walking around the ward the same day.

8. How many fills did you have to have to get it right and how did they make you feel.

most 1st fills dont work, it differs with everyone to how many fills is needed and what size band you have.

Thanks again in advance. I would also like to find a "buddy" who is going to do this so perhaps we can chat and go through the whole thing together.

Jo
x

i hope my answers help a little.

liz x

THanks Liz that helped me too x

i had this problem too but im finding 3mths after banding it is getting better i still have a little square of choccy or a biscuit if i want it but am just careful with howmuch i have and counteract it against the calories iv had in the day it does take time tho to get your head around if you didnt have the problem and most of us have you wouldnt be in a position of needing a band!

it has been known for banding not to be done if the liver not shrunk enough although i think this not the norm

i was told fizzy a no no and i never had it anyway so not a prob for me
i have started with a very high bmi so it is going without me exersicing but im sure in the future that will change but finding as weight coming off i want to move about more anyways

no it wont but you get used to not eating in same way you used to and i have also when the mood takes me to graze changed the foods available to have i am a cracker monster a few of those nibbled does the trick for me
i was in over night but was offered to go home that day i was up as soon as i got back to ward and just took it easy for a week

i have had 3 fills and think im going to need one possibly 2 more im in a fine tuning stage im nearly there but not quiet and i love having fills i get all excited because i know it is one stage closer to getting things right

Hi all,

I was a huge emotional eater pre-op and still have emotional over-eating tendencies where I want to stuff my face silly - you can eat so much with the band but I can't eat anywhere near as much as before. The head hunger is still there for me, you just learn to deal with it and not reach for the biscuits....

As my surgeon told me....I wont be coming at you with my knife and fork if you don't stick to it, but you will still have to pay for my services if I open you up and can't do the operation because your liver is still too big.....scared me into submission!

Different providers say different things but I have been told flying is fine once you are a few weeks post op and there is no need for a de-fill before flying.

Ex-diet coke addict here! At least a can a day pre-op and the only time I touch it now is if something is stuck in the band and I want to move it - you will find carbonated stuff makes you incredibly bloated and uncomfy post op and it is really not worth it.

I have lost 4+ stone post op (5 stone+ with pre-op diet) and have not done regular exercise. Starting with the saggy skin now so wish I had done more.....

Band won't stop the head hunger but it will stop the volume of what you can eat. Some willpower is required - to get the best out of the band you have to work with it - it is not a magic tool or an easy way out.

One night only in hospital, walking in town 3 days post op, driving within a week and back to normal in around 2 weeks for me.

I am now on my second fill in a 10ml band - first fill at 8 wees post op lasted around 5 months for me before the second one recently which is still fine. I now have 7.5ml in a 10ml band and currently my restriction is ok. There is nothing to worry about from fills, quick, easy and painless.

Jo
x

Hope that helps. Check out my thread (secret diary of a gastric bander) which has my entire pre and post op story on if it helps you. Good luck.

I was also an emotional eater, usually when stressed or upset. I am seeing a pyschologist and doing Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to help me learn to cope with everyday problems. This was advised by my surgeon once he knew my eating habits. Strangely though, you do get through the day, as you think, "I went to all this trouble and quite a bit of pain, so why waste the oppurnity" And then there are times when you do give in and have a "naughty" but we all began with eating problems and guilt. But why go through the rest of our lives like that? I am blowed if I am going to ever be made to feel guilty over a biccie now and then.

You will do absolutely fine...its short term and as long as you keep in your mind that it is for a goal and not some odd punishment the time can fly by. I had a no fat diet with no meat, fish, cheese or eggs but what I could have was stuff like marshmallows and meringues. (Go figure?) Does the provider offer you a choice of diets?

I was told flying is ok, that you may experience a little tightness but it disappears not long after you land. I will be putting this to the test in September.

I was a Diet Coke junkie pre-op (2 litres a day) I have now not touched it since 24th September. I tried a mouthful the other day and it tasted horrid...proves I was addicted. I have developed a new love, Copella apple juice.

You can to begin with but to keep the weight coming off you have to excercise regularly but believe me that as the weight comes off this gets easier and more enjoyable.

Simple answer no.

I went in at 8am and was home by 8pm the same day, so depending on how you do, the time of your op etc, is how quick you can go. I had the option to stay a night but all I wanted was to go home and be in my own bed.

There is no easy anser to this as it differs for everyone, but from what I have read, it can take between 4-6 to get it right. They are painless and quick and they definitely mean you eat less. That feeling might not last long after the 1st one but what you have to remember is this is not quick fix and it can take sometime for them to get it just right for you. I have set myself a realistic target to get to goal within 2 years. That way the pressure and anxiety of wanting it all to happen now is lifted.

And lastly, good luck with your future journey, the fact you are asking all the right questions is a good indicator that you will have good sucess...:)

Back