• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A little help and advice pls

kellsbells

Hi guys not been around for a while had so much going on anyway those of you that know me know the trouble I've had with my band in the beginning thins is I'm on 6.75 ml in a 10ml band I sometimes have horrendous pain when I eat other days its fine but I'm still hungry in between meals this happened a couple of fills ago but once I'd had another fill it settled so I'm wondering do I go for another small fill of will I be over filled I'm struggling and know I should have lost more weight than I have but sometimes the wrong food just slips down easier :-( I've only lost just over a stone since October but had an empty band till jan does anyone else get days where they struggle with most things and others where the band feels looser? Just don't know wether another fill will help as may just be on a little nerve like a few fills ago or what :-( due to having a bit of a crappy time personally I havnt really stuck to a diet of any type either please be gentle with me :) thank you Kel xxx

It is a natural thing with the band that the level of restriction can vary day to day. Even during the day. I had salad at lunchtime the other day and it was ok, but struggled to get it down a little in the evening and that is with very minimal restriction.

I spoke to my provider on my last visit and he said there is even an argument that if you have times when food wont go down or you can't physically eat that it could suggest you need a defill rather than the other way! Because if you can't eat foods, the right foods, then you will turn to things because they are easier to eat and that is when the issues and problems start. - There is definitely something to be said for his thoughts as I know it is easier to eat the foods that can go down easily.

However, the band doesn't always stop the hunger, 11 months in, mine hasn't taken any of my hunger away (10 mls in a 14ml band!) and it is actually very very rare where I will not feel hungry either between meals or even after eating! It really is a case of controlling what we eat but a review of what you're eating to more band friendly foods could help you get underway, not only with getting on with your band better, but in terms of losing weight too.

Maybe this is the time to get back on track, to work with a diet/eating plan that is going to work for you, your band and to achieve what its therefore, but don't always think that a band will take away or stop the hunger - for many it doesn't in the slightest and then it is very much down to control and willpower with what and how you eat :)

If you're already having pain and struggle with some foods, I would say that a fill is probably not the best idea, but working with your dietician to work to find out what foods you can eat which work with the band and which will then keep you feeling fuller for longer.

im one of the lucky ones that didn't get hunger pangs anymore but I always kept my band very tight which also meant most meats were a bugger to get down so I used to eat veg first then potatoe then meat I find very small tweek fills can do wonders the way I knew is from eating the same meal at least once a week that way when I could eat slightly more of it I knew it was time, not everyone likes or works well with such tightness in the band and if that's the case kat gives great advise

Thanks guys the thing that gets me is I can still eat a pretty big amount when I can eat? Will book in with my nurse as havnt heard from dietitian since April! Xxx

That isn't unusual either - I can still eat exactly the same size portions as I did before I had my band - my band hasn't given me restriction in terms of easing the hunger or reducing portion sizes - it has been down to my choice and even though I could eat it - not doing so!

Back