• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A slight delay in test appointments

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Like many of you, I am currently in the process of going through all the tests prior to surgery:

-- endoscopy, sleep apnoea test, ECG etc

When I had my first Thoracic appointment on 3 November the young registrar who saw me (to assess likelihood of sleep apnoea) said that she would put me down for a "sleep test at home".

That way I would be able to pop into the hospital, collect the equipment, do the test at home, and then return the equipment.

But now, three weeks later, I finally get an appointment letter inviting me for an overnight stay in the hospital on 11 January for my sleep test. (I tried phoning today and asking if they could change it back to a come in collect do at home test, but no joy now --- gggggrrrrrrrrrrrr!)

Great: my surgery review has been set for 16 Jan (!).

Obviously no problem if I *don't* have sleep apnoea, but if I do, then the surgery review on 16 Jan will be put back and ultimate surgery will be put back.

Also, on a personal note I was hoping to have the op in late Feb, and be recovered enough for my Dad's 80th birthday on 25 March 2012.

If the sleep apnoea test proves positive and everything goes back a month or so, I am likely to be having the op just as my Dad's 80th birthday approaches !!! :mad:

I know I am not the only one who has problems with appointments put back etc, but sometimes it does appear that the left hand does not talk to the right hand within the hospital !!! :rolleyes:

I feel for you xxx

This can be a very frustrating journey :( Really hope your test comes back clear so you will be ok for your dads birthday :)

Sorry I only just saw your thread chick xxx

Thantks, Fuffs.

I'm just a bit annoyed that the person who makes appointments made some unilateral decision that I should be an overnight sleep study based on my address .... and not on the discussion I had with the junior registrar back on 3 November.

The junior registrar agreed that I would do a self test at home overnight in December, and the junior registrar made really big bold notes that that is what she was recommending.

But when I phoned the appointments person (who sounded a bit dimmy and clueless I'm afraid) she said she had made the decison for me to come in overnight based on my postcode, SE18 which is 14 miles away from the Whittington in N19.

However, dimmy appointments person not factoring in brilliant London Transport to her equations: (1) i live 5 mins from Woolwich Arsenal train station (I live in flat above a shop), (2) train Woolwich --> London Bridge = 20 mins, (3) tube from London Bridge --> Archway = 20 mins .... it can be done in an hour.

I tried to explain this to the appointments person but she was having none of it -- I am now down as an overnight person and that's it.

Also, if I do take the train + tube up to Archway at say 7 am I could be at the hospital by 8.15 am ..... be in and out, collect the equipment, and on my way to work in the city by 9.30 am .... bing, bang, bong, no problems.

I do feel a bit like complaining actually -- not because thise delay in itself is such a biggie -- but because my personal wishes and the written instructions of the registrar which were clearly documented (I saw her notes saying "Sleep test at home, December") have been ignored.

What is the point of having a "pre" thoracic appointment, if the eventual test appointments are going to be handed out completely at random and not according to the notes the registrar recommended in the first place ....?????

I totally understand! And would in fact complain. The lack of consistency in information these days is quite shocking.

I hate when admin whom are not the decision makers argue and make life harder. It's sooo frustrating!!

I know with the home the test you have to get the equipment back to the hospital early the next day, they couldn't stress this enough to me. Maybe this is the reason for the overnight stay.

snooky said:
I know with the home the test you have to get the equipment back to the hospital early the next day, they couldn't stress this enough to me. Maybe this is the reason for the overnight stay.

Could be....Might be worth you asking them :)

I stayed overnight with mine. It's the one time it's hardest to sleep when it's for attest lol

It was hard. Had to read then turn the lights out to tire my eyes out lol

I think I might be writing a small letter then explaining the speed of train + tube (seeing as she ignored everything I said on the phone) explaining how easy it is for me to get myself out of bed early at 5 / 6 am and travel early (I have done it several times for all my existing appointments at the Whittington).

The principle of an admin person *ignoring* a doctor's written medical recommendation is hugely worrying though ..... what if medical notes say "patient is diabetic, all meds must be sugar free" ..... and admin person goes and orders some glucose or syrup based liquid meds just because they feel like it and have made an arbitrary unilateral decision ???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Problem is it is now late November, and she will probably say too late now for even a "collect and return" appointment ..... but if registrar's instructions on 3 November had been read and followed, I would not be running out of time !!!! :mad:

Ah well, today out of the blue I got a phone call from Cathy at the Whittington offering me a cancellation:

-- initially she offered me an overnight sleep study tonight (eeek!) but I could not take that as I have no nightwear to change into, nor any spare clothes for tomorrow .... so if I went there tonight I would be staying in my same clothes and returning to work tomorrow in my same clothes ..... unless I managed to talk my supervisor round to letting me have the day off tomorrow.

-- but then Cathi offered me a 2nd option, a take home and do at home test for next week (Thurs 15th Dec). As I am already booked on leave on Fri 16th Dec I won't have to worry about returning the equipment *AND* getting to work on the Friday morning, only returning the equipment.

Hoorah !!!!

thats great news Sharon :) x

Yay!!! Good stuff!!

Thanks all. Even better news overnight. When I got home last night there was a letter inviting me to an ECG appointment on 12 Jan 2012.

Now all my pre-op tests WILL be done prior to my surgery review on 16 Jan 2012. Yeeha !!

All coming together at last !!! :)

:dancing_snowman:

(I wanted a picture of a "happy bunny" but they don't seem to have one!)

fantastic news sharon!!!! woohoo wont be long now :) xxx

Thanks, Caren !!!

Back