• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep Apnoea Sleepiness Test

DaisyMaesy

Most people will have to go through the sleepiness test prior to WLS so I thought it would be handy for people to have a link to the Epworth Sleepiness Test. This will give you some idea as to whether you will be asked to do a sleep study as part of your journey.
Sleep Apnoea causes excessive tiredness and once diagnosed and on CPAP therapy the difference to daily life is amazing.
There are many sites that hold this test but the link below holds information for partners too so that they can say if you have any of the symptoms that neither of you have thought of any importance before. I have put the scores below.

Score
0 - 10 = Normal
11 - 14 = Mild
15 - 18 = Moderate
19 - 24 = Severe

Interestingly I had a score of 18 but only because I was not driving in that period of time (body had obviously stopped me from doing so, I really could not be bothered to drive and had been like that for some time) so I really class myself as severe.
http://www.midyorks.nhs.uk/NR/rdonlyres/1E1174AC-7983-472C-9B35-EA4DA2E0F1AE/61729/questionnaire.pdf

If you do score more than ten, do take the info to your GP straight away so you can get the process started therefore speeding up you WLS journey.

Last edited:
It's a topic which I'd love to know more about Carol, I'd heard little of it before I was asked to go for wls...

Love and hugs xxx

I take it you are lucky enough not to suffer from it then Bev? I was diagnosed 2 years ago so long before wls was suggested.
I was walking around in a daze and falling asleep all the time. Now I have a full nights sleep and feel invigorated in the mornings (most of the time) If for some reason I have not used it (power cut) I certainly know about it the next day as I cannot function and I cannot believe that is how I used to walk around all the time. I used to go to the loo six or seven times a night. My sleep study discovered that I stopped breathing 90 times an hour without my machine. Now I don't even get up to go to the loo anymore I go to sleep and awake almost in the same position.

Oh my word Carol... thank goodness you are well on your way to better things health wise Angel....

Thank you for explaining it in more detail.

Love and hugs precious xxx

Hi
I'm new on here, I only joined last night and have been looking through some posts then stumbled across this one.

I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnoea in July of this year after feeling constantly tired throughout the day.
I took home the test and sent it back re next morning thinking that I would just go home and wait for some results.

Little did I know but they check them straight away... And boy I'm glad they did!

On average I stopped breathing 70 times an HOUR, and my Oxygen levels in my blood went as low as 50% :-0
I was sent immediately back to the sleep apnoea nurse who presented me with a CPAP machine to keep an use everytime I had a sleep.... An I have to say that the results are Amazing!
No longer do I fall asleep whenever I sit down... Nor standing up for that matter !

It's been an absolute godsend for me and would advise anyone to get it checked out immediately should they have symptoms of sleep apnoea.

Just wanted to share my story.

Take care

Andy xx

Daisy

Wow i thought 70 times an hour was bad enough... But 90 !!

Glad things have sorted themselves out for you... I know the benefits I'm having of using a CPAP and I couldn't live without it!

Andy xx

omg im so worried :( i wake myself up snoring and screaming and am waiting for an appointment from the hospital for a sleep apnoea test. But last night i googled the symptoms and i have most of them :( but the worrying thing is, im a bus driver and im so worried that i might lose concentration or something :( i dont know what to do :(

I am only at the begining of my journey but would love to have a test done now. Is that something a gp could help me with ?

I am only at the begining of my journey but would love to have a test done now. Is that something a gp could help me with ?
i think your GP will only send you for a test if they think you may have it :) xxx

I had enough problems proving I was obese at over 20 stone so I think proving my sleep is problematic would be a no no. Xx

omg im so worried :( i wake myself up snoring and screaming and am waiting for an appointment from the hospital for a sleep apnoea test. But last night i googled the symptoms and i have most of them :( but the worrying thing is, im a bus driver and im so worried that i might lose concentration or something :( i dont know what to do :(
im a bus driver and im so worried that i might lose concentration or something
I don't want to add to your woes Caren,But if you do indeed have Obstructive Sleep Apnoea ( OSA),They will have to inform you that you should NOT drive until it's under control by use of CPAP.
They don't normally inform the DVLA as they have covered their Backsides if you like by telling you.It's down to you to advise the DVLA -I didn't to be honest as i don't drive that much- But if you're a Bus Driver then that may be different.
The last thing i want to do is give you more grief,But it's something you may have to consider if indeed you do have OSA.

Take Care
Andy x

I don't want to add to your woes Caren,But if you do indeed have Obstructive Sleep Apnoea ( OSA),They will have to inform you that you should NOT drive until it's under control by use of CPAP.
They don't normally inform the DVLA as they have covered their Backsides if you like by telling you.It's down to you to advise the DVLA -I didn't to be honest as i don't drive that much- But if you're a Bus Driver then that may be different.
The last thing i want to do is give you more grief,But it's something you may have to consider if indeed you do have OSA.

Take Care
Andy x
cheers Andy, well ive been off sick since that post and will stay off sick until i get the results, having no money is driving me nuts, especially this time of year :( But id rather that and have an accident and injure people or worse. I drive my little car around to go shopping etc but wont go back to work. I'm looking for another job anyway :) xxx

Oh Okay mate....Hope all goes well with the Sleep Ap test...Where are you having it done Papworth?

x

Oh Okay mate....Hope all goes well with the Sleep Ap test...Where are you having it done Papworth?

x
no Basildon, thats where i live :) xxx

no Basildon, thats where i live :) xxx

Okay...Wish you well for it hun.....i know it's a ridiculous thing to say but it played an enormous part in getting my funding...How sad is that ? :(

Okay...Wish you well for it hun.....i know it's a ridiculous thing to say but it played an enormous part in getting my funding...How sad is that ? :(
i know, its awful but im hoping i have it hahaha hmmm :D

Just like to add that when i was at L&D yesterday at my 1st appointment,I did the Epworth Sleepiness Scale test...It was just 'for the record' as i have already been diagnosed with OSA.

The score BEFORE i was diagnosed was 22

The score yesterday( bearing in mind i have been on CPAP for 5 months) was.... 5

CPAP has possibly saved my life...Please please get it checked out if you're in any doubt.

Andy x

Just like to add that when i was at L&D yesterday at my 1st appointment,I did the Epworth Sleepiness Scale test...It was just 'for the record' as i have already been diagnosed with OSA.

The score BEFORE i was diagnosed was 22

The score yesterday( bearing in mind i have been on CPAP for 5 months) was.... 5

CPAP has possibly saved my life...Please please get it checked out if you're in any doubt.

Andy x
5?!?!? omg thats great!! mines 17

Back