• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A swifty question for the bypass losers

Brunetteandred

Officially a loser
This is prolly a no-brainer, but just wanted some clarification.
Why is it important not to drink with a meal and is it right one shouldn't drink for a period after a meal?

Thanks chaps and chapesses! x

I thought no fluid 1/2 hour before and the same after cause the before will fill you up and the after will wash the food through to quick

This is prolly a no-brainer, but just wanted some clarification.
Why is it important not to drink with a meal and is it right one shouldn't drink for a period after a meal?

Thanks chaps and chapesses! x
hi im new at this so please bare with me if you drink with or before a meal it fills you up and does not allow much room for food,if you drink straight after a meal there is no room for it so it makes you very bloated or will make you sick(im 9 month post bypass) hope it helps sarah

Ok its really simple, you dont have anything at the bottom of your pouch to stop food dropping through the tiny stoma your surgeon has created, therefore if you eat and drink at the same time you turn the food in your pouch into a slurry an it falls through quicker, this way you find you can eat more, and you'll find you get hungry quicker, the idea is to fill your pouch to restriction and keep the food in there digesting as long as possible, thus preventing you snacking or feeling hungry quicker.

So we dont eat during a meal, or for at least an hour and a half post meal !

Drinking before a meal........ well the juries out on that one, water loading is a good way to make the roux limb swell and means you'll find it takes less food to reach restriction, but if you drink minutes before eating your pouch will be full of fluid and you'll find you wont want the food, so i try to make sure the last drink i had was at least 15 minutes before i eat, this way i go part way towards water loading and i'm maintaining hydration.

hi im new at this so please bare with me if you drink with or before a meal it fills you up and does not allow much room for food,if you drink straight after a meal there is no room for it so it makes you very bloated or will make you sick(im 9 month post bypass) hope it helps sarah

Thats correct - i drank directly after a big meal once and nearly drowned myself, the fluid backed up my osophogus and into my lungs, i coughed the fluid up, the food and god only knows what else :D

I also find if i drink just before i eat (meaning minutes) i then feel full and dont want to eat - which is a bummer if you've spent an hour preparing a meal :confused:

yup its the same for banders,it stops you been able to eat as its hard enough getting the nutrition in as it is, with out having a pouch full of liquid, drinking after the meal just leaves a bloated feeling as the liquid has no way to pass through until the pouch empties, which in turn leads to vomiting.

we have plenty of other oppertunity in the day to keep the fluid intake up, i always used to have a drink with a meal b4 wls, it takes some getting used to breaking the habbit but you will get used to it.

liz x

There are some exceptions to this rule as lifes not always that simple, if your out for a meal with friends, or you get a blockage or the uncomfortable feeling when you've over eaten then sipping fluid moves things through, as a general rule though you want to avoid fluid after eating.

If i go out for dinner, i'll sip a glass of wine before and during the meal, i cant really get much more down as i tend to eat more solid foods now i'm further along, but i know i shouldn't, but now and then doesn't really hurt, i guess its all about understanding and educating yourself, once you know how it works you can bend the rules to your advantage provided you go back to the rules after.

i agree SS, its all about educating yourself and listening to what the body tells us, rules can be broken for certain needs but as you say it has to be short term only.

Back