• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

AAAH!!!! my hair is coming out in clumps.

tammy

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hi all, just wondered if anyone was experiencing hair loss after WLS. was warned it may happen but up until last week had no problems. over the last few days it has been coming out in clumps in ths shower and if i run my hands through it loads is coming out too. wasn't prescribed anything for it and can't remember what they recommended. Can anyone help please don't want to be bald!!!!!!!!x

Last edited:
Hi there, I have really thick hair and my hairdresser noticed last time I went that it was getting thinner and I have noticed that more is coming out but its not noticable at the minute.
Im seeing my nurse on Tuesday so will be asking her about it will post back what she tells me.
Im not 100% certain about hairloss after the op and what to do about it, something I need to look into maybe using different vitamin tablets maybe?

Hi Tammy,
What a nghtmare! My hairdresser noticed that my hair has thinned too. You need to get some celenium (not sure if it's written with an s or a c at the start). GPs are reluctant to prescribe it. so it may be an idea to get in touch with your surgeon to get the ball moving. I hope it works for you.

its selenium :) not sure if it's in berocca? I know you can selenium from places like holland and barratts but absorption might be an issue?

From what I understand (when I was researching for my sister) this hair LOSS should only be temporary. Your hair may be thinner than it used to be though.

It's because your body is in starvation mode. As people do not absorb vitamins/minerals well after a bypass op it is very important that they are advised which vitamins to take. It's not as easy as going into Sup*****g & buying some off the shelf!:rolleyes:

Too much selenium can be toxic and do more harm than good, so speak to your consultant.

Hair can thin, but it shouldn't be patchy. It will also grow back thicker and shinier than before once your weight settles and you increase your calories.

If it's gets really patchy, it's probably nothing to do with the lack of calories, and may be worth a visit to the doctor.

Bit scary for you. Hope it settles down soon:hug99:

hi tammy glad i read this thread hun, had my bypass 15 months ago, and i suffered with hairloss awful, i mailed my sergeon and he told me to take ZINC i take this everyday without fail and after i started taking it for 3 weeks i was back to normal hun, but i continue to take it all the same ZINC also supports your immune system as well i get mine from boots or tesco, hope this helps u take care xxx

So what do most people take for there day to day vitamin/min tablet? I take the multi vit and min chewable from boots along with an chewable calcium and a vit d & k calcium tablet. Any one take any extra ones?

hi tammy
i am a hairstylist and we loose a average amount every couple of days.. we also loose a little more after surgey,pregnancies,stress and lack of vitamins..
vitamins will help but your own hair will regain its natural cycle in time..
i know its easy to say but try not to worry hun..
emmax

I'm on forcival (vits and mins) which is what the surgeon puts all his patients on. Also calcium and iron.

Hi,

I have been reccomended Silica to help with hair loss. My friend started to lose her hair about 3 months after her RNY GB. She was told to take this supplement, and after a week, no more losing excess amounts of hair!

Kel xx

sorry to hear your losing your hair, myself i already look like Phil Mitchel and if it all falls out i'll look like Ko jack, not really worried really :D

Thank you all so much. will phone my nurse and see what they recommend i do. Sounds like i'm probably stressing a bit much sure it will settle down. Celinium thats the stuff they recommended.

As for Phil mitchell always preferred Grant myself. My hubbie is bald and find it quite attractive just not sure it will suit me! at least i will be thinner and bald though eh!!!!

thanks again everyone reading your posts has lowered my stress levels xx

I'm not so fussy, Grant OR Phil would do me! Something phwoar about a well built shaven head'd man, especially one in overalls and engine oil!

I'm not so fussy, Grant OR Phil would do me! Something phwoar about a well built shaven head'd man, especially one in overalls and engine oil!

Rose Kemp (AKA Grant) lives down the end of my road, so cant really compare myself to him :D as i see him all the time, i'm far more sexier than him anyway ! ;)

your hair is falling out as you are not having enough protine you need to eat more tuna as this will help keep your hair, good luck

Am already taking iron, calcichew and forceval tablets. will speak to my nurse to see if they can prescribe me zinc and celinium i think. Tuna is one thing that won't go down well at all and am really following a veggie diet as thats all i can manage.

will keep you all posted and thanks again for all your advice and support x

Rose Kemp (AKA Grant) lives down the end of my road, so cant really compare myself to him :D as i see him all the time, i'm far more sexier than him anyway ! ;)

Hmmmm, could I get away with agreeing with you in the hope of being allowed to move in with you so I can secretly stalk Ross Kemp?

Hello back again, nurse told me to take zinc and kelp from holland and barret and that should help, going to get some tomorrow!
So where abouts is silversurfers street??:D

Back