• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Absorption of medication

Nellyphant

I have a chronic pain and fatigue condition which was the reason for having the bypass as my mobility was getting worse. The problem is that my pain is much worse than it was before. Could it be that the meds I take aren't being absorbed like they were before? My GP doesn't know. Should I contact my team about it? I'm feeling really desperate.

Contact team immediately they're best placed for advice - good luck.

I've changed some meds from 2 a day to 4 spaced out through the day and have had a much better result.

Wibble - that's a good idea. I've just got back from my GP and he's changed my HRT to a patch and upped some of my others. I'll try splitting my painkillers throughout the day and see if that helps. Thanks.

I have a chronic pain and fatigue condition which was the reason for having the bypass as my mobility was getting worse. The problem is that my pain is much worse than it was before. Could it be that the meds I take aren't being absorbed like they were before? My GP doesn't know. Should I contact my team about it? I'm feeling really desperate.

hi
my doctor gave me all my tablets in liquid form
ask your doctor if he can help

kay

good luck

Hi

What Pain Meds are you on, I was on Zomorph before my bypass and had to have it changed because slow release medication does not work with the bypass as it goes through the system too fast to be properly absorbed. I was put on patches, you options will depend on what you are on, Tramadol is available in both slow and sustained release so if on that you can just get them swapped over.

A big word of warning from me, as you loose weight your does may need to be reduced, I was nearly overdosed on Morphine as I was on the same does I was on at 24 stones when I was down to 14 stone, it nearly killed me before one of my Doctors Nurses recognised the symptoms. so be careful as you weight comes off.

Paul

I also am having problems with medication post bypass. Not painkillers, but my lithium.. It is not being absorbed sufficiently, so they are looking at having to change it to something else, so I think it's quite a common problem...

Hi

What Pain Meds are you on, I was on Zomorph before my bypass and had to have it changed because slow release medication does not work with the bypass as it goes through the system too fast to be properly absorbed. I was put on patches, you options will depend on what you are on, Tramadol is available in both slow and sustained release so if on that you can just get them swapped over.

A big word of warning from me, as you loose weight your does may need to be reduced, I was nearly overdosed on Morphine as I was on the same does I was on at 24 stones when I was down to 14 stone, it nearly killed me before one of my Doctors Nurses recognised the symptoms. so be careful as you weight comes off.

Paul

Paul

My pain condition is a neurological one but I do have osteo-arthritis in both my hips. As a result my needs aren't for standard painkillers as such. My Dr won't put me on stronger than codeine as a result. So I take amitrityline and duloxetine for the 'brain' bit and co-codomol, ibuprofen and codeine for the pain that is actually caused by something 'structural'.

Doesn't matter what it's caused by. It can still be malabsorbed. And as Paul said need reducing with weight loss.

Hi Nellyphant,

Nuro pain! Hope its not trigeminal nuralgar, that can be quite nasty.

Amytriptaline is fine after bypass, I have been on it for years.

Paul

Hi Nellyfant, I'm worried about you as I don't think you should be on ibuprofen .I've just come out of hospital and they confirmed no nsaids. I needed them as I had a bad infection accompanied by serious inflammation but they couldn't give them to me xx

Yes, surely you aren't taking ibuprofen? It's only ok very short term along with a ppi like lansoprazole to protect your gut. You need to get that looked at. I am allergic to loads of pain meds so cant take anything useful now except codeine, which makes me feel drunk! Having no choice but to take it atm as just had gall bladder out.

Hi Maria, Did you have your GB out laprascopically or open? i have to have mine out. I had open bypass so don't know if it makes a difference! Hope you are feeling ok after your op
xx

Yes, surely you aren't taking ibuprofen? It's only ok very short term along with a ppi like lansoprazole to protect your gut. You need to get that looked at. I am allergic to loads of pain meds so cant take anything useful now except codeine, which makes me feel drunk! Having no choice but to take it atm as just had gall bladder out.

me too lol

had to use Tramadol which was OK as helped me sleep too :)

Hi Maria, Did you have your GB out laprascopically or open? i have to have mine out. I had open bypass so don't know if it makes a difference! Hope you are feeling ok after your op
xx

Hi sorry taking so long to reply. Yes I had it out laprascopically, I went back to work as a window cleaner yesterday, i had it done a week ago today. My recovery has been very quick, all my wounds are well healed just a bit of discomfort from the bruising. Hope you'res goes as well.

me too lol

had to use Tramadol which was OK as helped me sleep too :)

Thank God for Tramadol- I wouldn't be get any sleep without it. It's the only thing that helps the pain. When I had my gall bladder and bile duct infection it didn't touch it though-only a LOT of morphine helped me then xx

Hi sorry taking so long to reply. Yes I had it out laprascopically, I went back to work as a window cleaner yesterday, i had it done a week ago today. My recovery has been very quick, all my wounds are well healed just a bit of discomfort from the bruising. Hope you'res goes as well.

A week is fabulous. I came out of hospital a week ago following the infection and I'm still under the weather. Very well done on your recovery-imagine how much longer it would havre taken when you were big ! I don't envy you window cleaning in this whether mate. I really feel the cold, especially in my hands. Great job the rest of the year though- good exercise and all that fresh air. Didn't you used to work in a chippie? Window cleaning is so much healthier a job !!
You look fabulous in your piccie btw. No where near 40 (ish) xx

Back