• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Depression and Bypass - Pls read??

Hi Andrea
I was able to get my meds (citalopram) in liquid form. After 12 months came off them for around 9 months then have had to go back on them. I've done loads of reading on this and it seems that low zinc and magneisum - both trace elements that are absorbed through the tummy- are drastically interfered with when you've had an RNY. I take supplements for both. Zinc every 3 days and magnesium during week 2/3 of my cycle - pain to remember but I do feel much better. Making sure you eat above 1000 calories is important too to keep the enzyme trptophan (excuse spelling) to be produced as this promotes the creation of serotonin. Prolonged periods under 1000 calories is supposed to stop this being created.
whether this is true or not I don't know, but I do know that I'm starting to feel a bit more positive and better. Good luck. Debs

I too have depression and still take Prozac.I have no problems taking them and feel very content.
I do eat across the food spectrum as much as I can.
Take my suppliments every day without fail and get fresh air daily.One other thing I have done is let go of the past,its so negative to hang on to something you cant do anything about.Live in the day,dont worry about what hasnt happened yet.Get busy,do something for someone else,volunteer.Get out of my rut and stop internalising stuff.I can still feel bad some days but force myself to go for a walk with the dog.We no longer have food as a comfort so we should look for it elsewhere.Life is as hard as you make it.Maz x

Well the plot thickens. I've just had an email from a pharmacist that works with Mr Ammori and the antidepressant I'm on doesn't get absorbed very easily after a bypass. Now she tells me lol. Back to the drawing board for me and my GP I think. More trial and error.

Thanks for all your thoughts though, its much appreciated.
x

Well the plot thickens. I've just had an email from a pharmacist that works with Mr Ammori and the antidepressant I'm on doesn't get absorbed very easily after a bypass. Now she tells me lol. Back to the drawing board for me and my GP I think. More trial and error.

Thanks for all your thoughts though, its much appreciated.
x
oh gawd, hope you sorted :) xxx

I have been taking an anti depressant for years and am so scared it will stop me from getting surgery.. Could it? xxx

Hi Route 66, I don't think it would stop you from getting surgery. Why do you think it would? There are lots of us out there that take antidepressants and have still gotten surgery. Good luck in your journey though x

Andrea73 said:
Hi Route 66, I don't think it would stop you from getting surgery. Why do you think it would? There are lots of us out there that take antidepressants and have still gotten surgery. Good luck in your journey though x

I know weight gain can be a major part of depression and was scared if they felt you were depressed surgery may not be productive ...
I want this surgery SOO much and terrified anything gets in my way x

Are you going down the NHS route? I'm pretty sure that it doesn't count against you. They prepare you to make sure that you can cope before, during and after surgery but I'm sure someone who has had surgery through the NHS could advise better than me.

Good luck, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Well been to see the doc today, I went there armed with advice from Mr Ammori and his Clinical Pharamacist!! I told them that the current meds I am on do not get absorbed in the lower digestive tract and gave him a list of the ones that do get absorbed. I'll be starting my new meds on Tuesday as I have to wait on the old ones leaving my system. Here's hoping these work and I'm on the road to a happy place :)

Andrea73 said:
Well been to see the doc today, I went there armed with advice from Mr Ammori and his Clinical Pharamacist!! I told them that the current meds I am on do not get absorbed in the lower digestive tract and gave him a list of the ones that do get absorbed. I'll be starting my new meds on Tuesday as I have to wait on the old ones leaving my system. Here's hoping these work and I'm on the road to a happy place :)

That's very good news!! Well done x

Hope so, sweetie :) xx

Back