• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Addicted to food shopping

Twiggie

My name is Twiggie and I'm addicted to food shopping!

There, I've said it!! :eek:

It suddenly hit me this morning as I was trying to stuff the contents of this morning's grocery delivery into cupboards which are already bursting at the seams!

It's not just the (6) kitchen cupboards but I also have two large family size fridge freezers stuffed to the rafters, and stacks of tinned soup, beans, tomatoes & fruit in the cupboard under the stairs. There's only the two of us here to feed unless son has friends over :eek:

This needs to stop, as I can't be doing with buying all this food once I've had surgery. I just won't have any need for most of it. I reckon there's enough in this house to feed us for at least 6 months with a little creativity, with top-ups strictly containing fresh veggies/fruit & milk/eggs only.

Oh Yes!!! I can relate to that. I still shop as if I'm feeding a family but I live on my own now I can't resist bargains and my daughter and son often come and raid my stores when their money runs out, good job they do as I've no idea when I would be able to use everything that's in the freezer - it's a definite obsession that I wish I could stop.

I just did a replay which disappeared into space.
You are not alone, I stopped cooking for a family years ago, but I still shop the same! I know it is a hangover from my childhood when food was not so easily to hand. I bought loads for the liquids stage and I am still working my way through them. Same on purees, pureed everything and put the excess in the freezer, like I am ever going to use it! I have enough tins to feed the five hundred. I have already decided that this weekend I am going to do a stock take. We could probably make up food boxes to send to other countries without having to buy anything!

Thank you :hug99: I'm so glad I'm not alone with this, and yes, it has become an obsession. I'm also obsessed with feeding my son and making sure he has enough to eat. He plays such a lot of sport every day and I worry he'll waste away if he doesn't eat :eek:

My mum was the same though, she had to have 3 of everything in stock but I've surpassed that by a long way! I take advantage of special offers and will end up doing a full fortnightly shop when I just need to replenish the fridge to make the most of paying a delivery fee. All this "saving money" is costing me a fortune!!! :8855:

I used to do that but since I started doing a menu plan for the month I'm much better at buying just what we need. It also helped alot with not choosing a takeaway as I already planned what we were eating each day.

Stocktaking is a good idea, and I'm sure that there are many homeless shelters/charities that could make good use of your extras... and it'll make you feel good too!

I know what you mean , i'm with you my cupboards are about to fall off the wall i'm sure, another thing i'v noticed is that i have to keep feeding everybody , i think just because i can't have naughty food and fancy it, everyone else must be starving ! this has really got to stop , its costing me a fortune .

Oh Lord, me too!!!!! My friend says that if ever the three minute warning is sounded, she will come straight over here with her large family as I have enough in my cupboards to last a decade! I am also a 'two-shopper', I never buy ONE of anything, always TWO. I'm so pleased I'm not alone and that you are all as SICK as me!

And me too lol!!!!!!!!

I can't seem to function properly unless the fridge/cupboards/freezer are full to bursting and once I've been shopping and put everything away a huge sense of contentment comes over me! :D

I was never like this before the op so I wonder what's caused it? I do have a family of five (including myself) to feed but I'm sure I buy more now than I did before. I thought it was just my motherly instinct but I'm not so sure there's not another meaning behind it....

Cuppa xx

I do this too...my freezer is only small and is ALWAYS stocked! I always but fresh fish randomly, and freeze it...my whole bottom drawer is stocked with frozen fish...I will never use it! Its such a waste :)

I'm a shopaholic full stop:Food, clothes, make up etc etc, and I have gone a lot worse after my op:eek::eek:It's classic transfer addiction:eek::eek::eek:

Can't wait till I'm thin enough to be a clothes shopaholic!

From what all you horders say I bet if you all did monthly menus from the stuff you've got stored away you wouldn't need to spend on food for 6 months.
Think how many pairs of shoes you could get with 6 months housekeeping money!!

I can see a recurring theme here!!!! :D

And even more strange, my mother and I are the only family members that have ever had a weight problem! I wonder if there's a connection?

Oh...add me to the list too Twiggie. I used to do it all the time and my dad still does (hmm...he's overweight too - how strange ;)

I've stopped in the last few years. Think moving to a smaller place may have had something to do with it but really I've just become obsessed with clutter. Can't stand it and that includes inside the kitchen cupboards and fridge. Bit weird but hey.

Maybe the food shopping addiction will change to a clothes shopping addiction after the op? Better make room in that wardrobe for all those sexy new dresses!

im addicted to shoppin! but not food as much as other stuff! last week i went to buy some uggs... couldnt choose a colour so bought 3 pairs @ £190 each its gonna sting the hubby like a biiiatch! ha x

Back