• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice for pre-oppers with long term pain condition!!

Clare*

Hello All..

I have thought long and hard as to whether i should write this post,as i didnt want to scare anyone , but today i thought i must say something as it may help those pre oppers.

I had Gastric Bypass Surgery last Wednesday , The first hurdle was during the fasting , as we are nil by mouth from midnight the previous day , the morning of admission i couldnt take my pain medication ... i was 3rd on the list to have my op and so i had a very long wait in lots of pain , i managed to speak to the anaesthetist in the morning ,and he allowed me to take some meds , but i still missed my midday dose , so make sure you have a back up plan or you investigte this before your admission day... i didnt - FOOL .

I went down for my op at 1415 , it was textbook ... until i woke up .... I was in alot of pain , my back and my tummy was unbelievably painful ... i tried to talk to the staff that were busy all around me and they said " of course you are in pain , you have just had an operation " it wasnt until my heartrate went bonkers that they took me seriously , and they gave me oramorph (10ml).... no difference at all, i was very taca cardic, they were worried and so monitored me closely .... an hour later , more morphine .... nothing , still same level of pain , more morphine ... no benifit whatsoever , i started to think there was something wrong with my heart , which there wasnt at all , it was just the pain that was making my heart race .... at 9pm the anaethetist came down and prescribed pethadine .... within 5 minutes i was coping , within 10 , i was fine , i was back on the ward by 10pm , in the meantime , my poor mum and boyfriend had been tearing their hair out with worry ........

I had a comfortable night , i had some pain , but nothing in comparison.

The next afternoon , after i sat up for a drink the pain came back , every breath was stabbing , i was put back in the bed , given oramorph... and the pain continued... an HOUR AND A HALF later , pethadine was prescribed, and again, within 10 minutes , i was fine again ....

The reason for this extreme pain is because i have been taking strong pain relief for many years , so that whatever they gave me , just did not work as i had built up a tolerence to it ... the reason for the long delays is because pethadine needs to be authorised by a senior member of staff ... and they are all very busy.

I MUST STRESS ... This was the only negative part of the experience, all staff were so kind and caring , extremely efficient ... i couldnt have been in a better place , it was amazing ... and although i am still uncomfortable ... im sure i would do it again once i reap the benefits

So to all those with a chronic pain condition .... pre prepared !!

Thanks for reading . Best Wishes xxx

THANKYOUSHARING.gif

Very useful thread but so sorry you had all that pain. I hope you are fighting fit very soon x

Welcome to the losers bench, hope they sort your pain properly for you and you're soon home and feeling back to normal pain control soon.

Back