• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pains....

Claire33

Hi all
So I'm 16 days post gastric bypass.
Looking for advice. This morning I had a sharp pain in left side took Painkillers after it bought me to tears pain eased and around half hour later I had this excruciating pain that I can only describe as someone tightening a belt across my upper abdomen and most importantly all across my back.
The pain was so bad my oh rang 999.
I felt sick couldn't breathe and was sweating. The pain eased after 5 mins and around 5mins later came back with a vengeance and it did this 4 times. I was given gas and air and morphine. My observations were all good nothing wrong there. Hospital said all x rays were good but slightly raised inflammatory markers and raised liver markers have to have my bloods redone in 2 weeks.....?
I'm wondering if anyone has had the same or similar. I'm worried sitting here waiting for when the pain can come back....help please!
Thanks

It's normal to have slightly raised inflammatory markers so soon after surgery.
The pain will probably be due to trapped wind , maybe eating to quickly or eating something that doesn't quite agree with you.
Wind pain can be very severe.
I hope you're ok now x

Yeah I'm ok now thanks.....is it normal to get wind this long after I didn't suffer with it at all?just glad the pain has gone now. If it's wind does that mean I'll get it back :( x

It is normal to get it after only 16 days, that's not long really and it will take a while for your body to heal and adjust, You might get it again but i hope not. chew lots, eat slowly and hopefully you'll be ok xx

Oh God I hope I don't get it again lol....if I hadn't had my gall bladder out I'd say it was just like that pain xx

Hopefully it will never come back. I'm over 18 months post surgery now but i remember being very uncomfortable after eating, sometimes having severe pain, the yogurts i ate loads of pre surgery used to kill me post surgery and i still have a bit of an intolerance to most dairy products.
It's all learning about what kind of food suits you now.
I've always been a very slow eater so i didn't have a problem there.
Good luck on your journey from here, you won't know your self in a years time.
Through all the pain and problems it's still the best thing i ever done having my by pass xxx

I'm not really eating much as I'm still on liquids so smoothies and soup for another 2 weeks.
I guess like u say it's trial and error with the foods I can have etc. I'm sure I'll learn.
Thanks for your help and advice xx

Yeah I'm ok now thanks.....is it normal to get wind this long after I didn't suffer with it at all?just glad the pain has gone now. If it's wind does that mean I'll get it back :( x
It is normal to get wind at your stage and for some weeks after. Have you tried peppermint tea or milk of magnesia - they helped me, although my wind was never that bad but have heard of others who have had. Had gall bladder pain though so I know how excruciating your pain is. Ambulance men and I thought I was having a heart attack!!

Something else to consider is is lactose intolerance. I have seen some posts on here where people have become this after surgery because of all the milk products they have consumed pre and post op which gave them excruciating pain. Did you do the milk diet pre-op? There are lactose free alternative milks out there.

I did the low calorie pre op diet. 1 piece of chicken or fish green veg, green salad and green fruit one.
I've never had a problem with milk before etc but I know surgery changes things. Just hoping the pain doesn't come back xx

Oh bless you! Was it like a razor slash pain internally? I had this for 3 weeks post op. I think it was where I had the staples? I sat in upright chair with cushions resting on back of sofa during this time. It was so nice to be able to sit on sofa for short periods after now I have no problems. I didnt get wind though so not sure if this is your issue? I also had severe cramps and swelling like I was going to burst and no painkiller worked only buscopan. I then found out I developed milk allergy and the PPI acid reduction medication had milk in it. I don't have anything with milk in it now. There can be a few causes to pain even internally settling back down but I would contact your team who are the experts in this type of surgery and post op problems.

My consultant said she thinks it was post op pain she doesn't think it was wind or that I over did it the day before. I'm still not convinced lol x

Back