• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice needed...6 week PLATEAU or STABLIZING ?

emma-louise

my new life!!
Im 14 months post op,and for the last 6 weeks I've not lost any weight.
Infact I had gained 5lbs due to medication(I think) and now the scales I use at boots have not moved for 6 weeks.
Im just wondering if this is the end of my weightloss or a plateau.
My food intake has always been the same amount as I've lost 8 1/2 stones so far,but need to lose another 2 stones for my height.
I'm just a bit worried I'm not going to get the last bit of weight off.
I'm extremely happy with what ive achieved so far,but would love know from others who had gastric bypass,if/when weight slowed down or if you had a plateau,and if you starting slowly losing weight again.

Many thanks x

Does anyone know if the weight might move again ?
I know it will be slow loses if it does..
Need my mind put at ease x

Hi Emma... if you are eating the same amounts and doing the same, your body may just need a little shake up.. ie extra fluids.. or extra protein... or doing some excercise or changing the excercise you are doing. are you able to contact your dietician so they can look at your fod intake? xx

Hi

I've already contacted the dietician,
To be honest sometimes it better to speak to people ..who have actually had the bypass done as they have had real experience.
Just worried want to know if this is quite normal at my stage,,and if the scales might move again x

i have heard a lot of people plateu at some stage or at various stages. sometimes its for a couple of weeks, sometime a couple of months.
Hopeflly somebody with more experience will be along later to help you. they prob al at work at the mo xx

Raynebubble said:
i have heard a lot of people plateu at some stage or at various stages. sometimes its for a couple of weeks, sometime a couple of months.
Hopeflly somebody with more experience will be along later to help you. they prob al at work at the mo xx

Thank you,hoping someone who's long term may offer some assurance the scales will move again!
Take care sweet x

someone will be along dont worry hun xx

I'm no expert but let me ask you this. How tall are you and what do you weigh now? Is it possible your target is unrealistic, in which case maybe your body has stabilised? eg. I put my target at 9st 4 or something I forget, but I'll be happy if I end up in the tens or the high nines..I'm being relatively flexible about it.

Or...you say you are eating the same all the time; maybe that's the key; change what you are eating, up your exercise, push your body a bit and see if that kickstarts it to lose?

Ruthiep said:
I'm no expert but let me ask you this. How tall are you and what do you weigh now? Is it possible your target is unrealistic, in which case maybe your body has stabilised? eg. I put my target at 9st 4 or something I forget, but I'll be happy if I end up in the tens or the high nines..I'm being relatively flexible about it.

Hi ruthie,
I'm 5.1 and currently 11.10,
I want to get into the 10 stone Mark if possible.
I

I know this does not answer your question totally as I am only nine months out, but I saw the dietician today and was asking her about weight loss slowing down (lost 1/2 stone a month roughly the last few months). She did a muscle/fat stats on me and said that my muscle had increased by 2% in three months and she would have expected it to be higher. She went on to explain that having more muscle means that your metabolism is increased and any weight loss should be a bit faster.

It may not be the case with you, but I know I have just relied on walking for the last few months and not toning/muscle building exercises, so I am going to up my exercise level and see if that helps.

Yes my main exercise is fast walking,
Maybe it's the case I need to up on exercise then.
I have had small stalls before where ivd not lost on the scales but lost on inches.
But it's a concern when its been this long without any movement on inches or scales.

It could be worth trying to up the muscle making exercisess and see if that helps - it can't do any harm.

I am going to try Nordic walking as that also gives your upper body and core a workout whilst walking.

im five foot one aswell and although i havnt been given a target i would like to be 10stone... but i would be more than happy to get to 12stone xx

Raynebubble said:
im five foot one aswell and although i havnt been given a target i would like to be 10stone... but i would be more than happy to get to 12stone xx

Lol,,,I always said I would be happy to get to a size 16 clothes!
But then you want to go smaller.. Then smaller...then smaller!
I bet you will be the same x
But in all honesty I love being a 12,anything else is a bonus x

I had my op in november and was a size 28/30 top and a size 30/32 bottoms... im now a size 22 top and size 24 bottom... and i am so happy being just that... ive lost nearly 6 stone... but of course i would like to be a size 12/14 so i can by clothes which are not plus size lol x

Yes my main exercise is fast walking,
Maybe it's the case I need to up on exercise then.
I have had small stalls before where ivd not lost on the scales but lost on inches.
But it's a concern when its been this long without any movement on inches or scales.

Even fast walking is a relatively poor form of exercise in relation to the time spent doing it. If you want steady weight loss you have to keep your body guessing. Doing the same thing constantly results in your body adapting and as we are predisposed to store fat, that's what it tries to do.

You should change your cardio exercise routine at least monthly, and find something more productive to spend your time on, like riding a stationary bike, or Zhumba, or spin class etc, keep your body guessing. Interval training gives you the best returns, this is where you go flat out for a short time, then slow down, then speed up then slow down etc, your body has no idea what to expect so it has no chance to adapt.

Any exercise regime without some resistance workouts is flawed. Unless you stress your muscles to the point where the fibres break down two or three times a week causing them to have to increase in density and size, then a fair percentage of your loss is lean body mass, the more LBM you lose the slower your metabolism. The higher your LBM or percentage of muscle for a given body weight, the higher your metabolism, the more calories you burn just to stay alive, so the easier it is to lose weight or at least maintain.

So in summary, forget the rubbish about your body stabilising after time, it just gets harder the lighter you become to reach a state of calorific deficit. It's a question of physics not stabilisation. If you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight. If you eat the right foods high in protein low in fats and sugar then you are less likely to store the excess as fat.

If you increase your muscle size your metabolism will increase. So eat well, change your cardio exercise to one that gives better results, and introduce resistance exercise into your regime. Then watch the weight start to fall again. At your stage post op the hard work really begins so it's really up to you now, the operation has helped all it can. If you want to get to goal you have to do your bit, or not

Good luck

Karlos said:
Even fast walking is a relatively poor form of exercise in relation to the time spent doing it. If you want steady weight loss you have to keep your body guessing. Doing the same thing constantly results in your body adapting and as we are predisposed to store fat, that's what it tries to do.

You should change your cardio exercise routine at least monthly, and find something more productive to spend your time on, like riding a stationary bike, or Zhumba, or spin class etc, keep your body guessing. Interval training gives you the best returns, this is where you go flat out for a short time, then slow down, then speed up then slow down etc, your body has no idea what to expect so it has no chance to adapt.

Any exercise regime without some resistance workouts is flawed. Unless you stress your muscles to the point where the fibres break down two or three times a week causing them to have to increase in density and size, then a fair percentage of your loss is lean body mass, the more LBM you lose the slower your metabolism. The higher your LBM or percentage of muscle for a given body weight, the higher your metabolism, the more calories you burn just to stay alive, so the easier it is to lose weight or at least maintain.

So in summary, forget the rubbish about your body stabilising after time, it just gets harder the lighter you become to reach a state of calorific deficit. It's a question of physics not stabilisation. If you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight. If you eat the right foods high in protein low in fats and sugar then you are less likely to store the excess as fat.

If you increase your muscle size your metabolism will increase. So eat well, change your cardio exercise to one that gives better results, and introduce resistance exercise into your regime. Then watch the weight start to fall again. At your stage post op the hard work really begins so it's really up to you now, the operation has helped all it can. If you want to get to goal you have to do your bit, or not

Good luck

Very impressed Karlos!
You certainly have put me in the picture now,I understand what I need to do now.
I should of mentioned I have a cross training exercise machine which I use.
My fast walking for a couple of hours is something I just do everyday to keep active,as don't use a car.
Thanks for explaining things,just out of interest did you ever stop loosing weight at any stage?and it started again once you mixed things around?

Thanks x

Back