• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice needed...6 week PLATEAU or STABLIZING ?

Men rarely stall TBH, especially those who take regular and effective exercise. What did happen with me was the change in my body fat percentage. When you lose weight a portion of it will be muscle loss. As someone who had previously been a very serious weight trainer in my twenties I knew how important it was to try to maintain my lean body mass while maximising fat metabolism.

So as soon as I was strong enough to get back to the gym I got a personal trainer to write me a programme of cardio and resistance exercise that would give me the best chance of success.

So I embarked on a routine of three days weight training where I trained each body part just once a week to absolute exhaustion. Three of the other days I did spin classes or the elliptical trainer and on my day off I'd ride my road bike for 45 miles or so.

This kept my weight loss steady throughout, but more importantly it reduced my body fat to 8.5% which for a guy my age is spectacular if I say so myself, average for my age would be 23% and my skeletal muscle percentage was 47% which is good for and old chuffer (Average would be 37%)

Your two hours of fast walking is great but as you do it every day there comes a point where it stops giving you results simply because your body gets used to it. Think of people that perform really heavy manual labour eight hours each day, even though it would kill most of us, they don't get bigger muscles or lose weight doing it because they do it every day, their bodies adapt.

If you can just lift a fifty pound weight it will always feel heavy when you try to lift it. If you try to lift a sixty pound weight then after a little while fifty pounds feels light because your muscles have had to get stronger and bigger to lift the heavier load. It's just bio mechanics

I was never a fan of working out at home, home is not the place to workout until you're almost killing yourself, I always got greater results when I switched training to the gym, both cardio and resistance. The surroundings and other people just inspired me to train harder, better, longer

I hope I haven't come across as criticising you in any way (A natural gift I have sadly LOL) because that really is the last thing on my mind, I applaud your desire to reach goal even now after nearly 18 months out, and that you are not prepared (As so many sadly are) to just accept that the ride is over.

You will reach goal if you maintain this desire I am sure of it x

Karlos said:
Men rarely stall TBH, especially those who take regular and effective exercise. What did happen with me was the change in my body fat percentage. When you lose weight a portion of it will be muscle loss. As someone who had previously been a very serious weight trainer in my twenties I knew how important it was to try to maintain my lean body mass while maximising fat metabolism.

So as soon as I was strong enough to get back to the gym I got a personal trainer to write me a programme of cardio and resistance exercise that would give me the best chance of success.

So I embarked on a routine of three days weight training where I trained each body part just once a week to absolute exhaustion. Three of the other days I did spin classes or the elliptical trainer and on my day off I'd ride my road bike for 45 miles or so.

This kept my weight loss steady throughout, but more importantly it reduced my body fat to 8.5% which for a guy my age is spectacular if I say so myself, average for my age would be 23% and my skeletal muscle percentage was 47% which is good for and old chuffer (Average would be 37%)

Your two hours of fast walking is great but as you do it every day there comes a point where it stops giving you results simply because your body gets used to it. Think of people that perform really heavy manual labour eight hours each day, even though it would kill most of us, they don't get bigger muscles or lose weight doing it because they do it every day, their bodies adapt.

If you can just lift a fifty pound weight it will always feel heavy when you try to lift it. If you try to lift a sixty pound weight then after a little while fifty pounds feels light because your muscles have had to get stronger and bigger to lift the heavier load. It's just bio mechanics

I was never a fan of working out at home, home is not the place to workout until you're almost killing yourself, I always got greater results when I switched training to the gym, both cardio and resistance. The surroundings and other people just inspired me to train harder, better, longer

I hope I haven't come across as criticising you in any way (A natural gift I have sadly LOL) because that really is the last thing on my mind, I applaud your desire to reach goal even now after nearly 18 months out, and that you are not prepared (As so many sadly are) to just accept that the ride is over.

You will reach goal if you maintain this desire I am sure of it x

Thank you do much Karlos,
I must have read your reply about 10 times to get a better understanding of what is needed to do regarding exercise.
You have done so damn well !!

I would never think of your criticising me at all,your knowledge is extremely helpful.
I haven't the confidence to go to a gym,so
all my exercise is done at home.
And having younger children its a bit hard to find the time for myself!

Thanks again,for taking the time to help me out x

Back