• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

advice needed for pre op diet

tray

firstly im new to this , i am currently on the waiting list for weight loss surgery. im worried i might fail before i even get the op. any advice on the pre op diet would be great . i have been told that for 2 weeks before the op i have to go on a liquid diet of 3 pints of milk a day plus any amount of no added sugar drinks., i know i have to shrink my liver before the op but my god how am i meant to keep to this liquid diet for 2 weeks without eating anything..

i can understand doing the liquid diet after the op as you stomach needs to heal but before the op , your body is going to crave food so much that i dont think i can do it :) i just need to know how other people have coped with the liquid diet.
:cry:

Last edited:
Hi Tray and welcome.

Can you tell us which hospital you are having surgery at , and whether private or NHS. THen someone who has been through the procedure at your hospital can advise you.

The pre-op diet varies from surgeon to surgeon, but it is vital that you stick to it to make your surgery as safe as possible. x

Tray welcome to minis x trust me when you get that date of when your having your op , doing two weeks of anything will be well worth it as you will then know your on a journey to a new you x good luck on getting your date soon x

i had it done at l&d 2 weeks ago on wednesday. i ahd to lose 5% on the milk diet which took 4 weeks and that was quite easy not eating coz i knew i had to do it to get to the next stage! then again 2 weeks before the op! horrid i cheated loads! i was scared so wanted to binge ... i didnt binge but did eat! my op went ahead and my liver was ok but i was so scared incase it wasent! xx

Not everyone has to do the milk diet.
I have been offered a choice of 5 diets, one is slimfast, one is milk and yogurt, 1 is just real food but weighed, 1 is cal counting and 1 is a VLCD.
But like someone else said, I bet when you get your date you'll be so excited it will all be worth it!
Leanne x

thank you all for your advice, i think, like you said, when i get my date, hopefully that will be the push i need to really do the liquid diet. i have waited many years to get help with losing weight. i am very scared though but also excited. the fear of having an op scares the hell out of me.

Back