• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

i am struggling with this pre op diet

rachael40

oh god this pre op diet is so hard, i am having my op on monday 21st and i have mostly been on liquid i have just caved and had about 10 mouth fulls of chicken chow mein :mad: is anybody having similar problems xx

Rach I'm the same!! My op is also may 21st and I'm struggling - I think it's because I binged so much before starting! I'd intended to do 2 weeks but couldn't so am doing 7 days of shakes and it's defo hard! Last night I picked at things in the kitchen but not a lot, today I've been good but finding it do hard to.

Your not alone I this and it will be so worth it on Monday when we're lying on the kp table!

i chose the milk diet - 3 pints of milk and 2 yogurts a day. milky coffee, milky tea, milky horlicks, etc etc. but not once in the 3 weeks did I feel hungary. Yes I did crave texture of food but it was not hunger...
I tried the low cal diets etc and they just did not work for me..
Hope that it goes well for you

I know it's hard girls but please don't cheat yourselves out of this op. Trust me nothing tastes as good as this feeling feels post op. It's only a few more days then it gets easier. xx

I agree with Marie. You have less than a week now. Keep your eyes on the prize.
My pre op was 4 weeks long. If I can do it, so can you.

Chow mean with it carbs and oil was prob a very bad idea. But if you want your op, draw a line under it right now and do your best x

there have been people on here who have gone down for their op, only to wake up and be told they havent been done because their liver wasnt shrunk enough, be careful, good luck, i know its hard :) xxx

oh god this pre op diet is so hard, i am having my op on monday 21st and i have mostly been on liquid i have just caved and had about 10 mouth fulls of chicken chow mein :mad: is anybody having similar problems xx

Struggling with this also, I'm just not in the mood for milk so some days I just have 2 cup-a-soup and 2 slices of toast. I still feel like I'm loosing weight.
I'm being very good with food and not eating much at all, but I do wonder if this will be bad for me :confused:
My op is the 24TH May so from the 21ST it will be pure milk and nothing else.
I'm pretty sure I would have lost a stone or more since my last weigh in.

Fading Grace said:
Struggling with this also, I'm just not in the mood for milk so some days I just have 2 cup-a-soup and 2 slices of toast. I still feel like I'm loosing weight.
I'm being very good with food and not eating much at all, but I do wonder if this will be bad for me :confused:
My op is the 24TH May so from the 21ST it will be pure milk and nothing else.
I'm pretty sure I would have lost a stone or more since my last weigh in.

It's the low carb element that shrinks the liver. Low Cals are secondary. So best to stick to a prescribed pre op diet. It gets your head ready for what you have to stick to post op.

Good luck :)

I have to say I admire your honesty about slipping up, I think it is best to be completely honest with your self and those you ask advice from. I'm only on day 2 of my pre op (milk diet) and I'm already having rampant thoughts of favourite foods and different textures. I dread the next few days but I am told if I stick to it I will hit ketosis and then it will get easier. I'm going to try my hardest and aim to stick the diet completely but it's not easy, I think we just have to keep our eye on the prize so to speak.

I'm not sure which type of pre op diets you are on but the only suggestion I have is if you find you just have to eat then go for something high in protein or fibre very low in fat and carbs (I believe some pre op diets are that anyway). If your particular pre op diet isn't working for you then maybe you could talk to your dietician about changing it to a different type.

Good luck to you. You can do it, I can do it and we will do it.

Take care

Shelley x

Rachael,

Good luck with your surgery, mine is scheduled for Tuesday the 22nd (Verticle Sleeve). I have been struggling with my pre op diet (4 protein shakes, 3 lite yogurts, 1 cup of raw vegetables, 3 fiber supplements and up to 44ozs of free liquids. For me it's not that I'm hungry except for a little at bedtime, it's more in my mind... but I just imagine my goal and push through it. I motto I follow is its not about perfection its about progress. do your best

i only started my pre op diet PROPERLY, 4 days before my op. its so so hard to stick to but dont worry, you'll do it! xx

Pre op diet is not about weightloss,its about reducing the glycogens in your liver to make it soft and floppy enough to move out of the surgeons way.Dont cheat yourself out of surgery just because you couldnt do it now.If you think this is a tough diet wait till you have surgery,immediate post op was murder!

i only started mine properly on friday, this is my 3rd day and its soooo hard. my op is on thursday and i realllllly hope my livers shrunk enough x

hang on in there, you can do it xxx

big and bouncy is right it's about shrinking the liver and if you're only doing it for a few days correctly chances are it might fail to be done because they have to think of your safety and best thing for you and the problem is you don't know if it's shrunk enough till they open you up :) i hope it's all ok but do try to stick to pre op because really if you can't stick to that for a couple of weeks what are you going to do for a lifetime xx and pre op is nothing compared to immediate post op as big and bouncy says xx

i was one of them that got told my liver was too big,
try not to cheat, good luck :) xx

bettyboob said:
can any one show me what the pre op diet is please

Look through the site as there are tonnes of them. My hospital has 5 different ones alone lol

i only started mine properly on friday, this is my 3rd day and its soooo hard. my op is on thursday and i realllllly hope my livers shrunk enough x

Hopefully you are finding it easier now but I found the first 4 days pretty unbearable but I stuck to it and day 5 I felt like a different person. Mood lifted, more energy and hunger almost gone. That should happen for you too. Good luck with your op :) x

Back