• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice on Bread Please from Post-Oppers

BIG KIM

I am a *NEW* Man!
I am 11 Months Post Op, and have not had any bread since before my Pre-op diet. after my surgery my dietician advised me to avoid it as it dough's in the pouch. so for that I aint touched it.
Im able to eat more food now, even steak etc. so was wondering if any of you are at a similar stage to me, and have you been eating bread, and if so, how much and with what effects?

All advice given is appreciated in advance. :)

Ive had bread a couple of times and been ok, i bought a small loaf of Warburtons Seeded Batch and toasted one slice, first time i had beans on it and this morning i had one slice with scrambled egg. Hope this helps.

I've had bread too. The seeded batch is good and wholemeal is. If I use white I tend to get the danish loaf, which is lighter, and toast it.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have had toast, as the dietician said toast was ok. I meant just bread as in like having a sandwich etc.

I have been eating bread from 6 weeks post op on the advice of a Dr at my weight management clinic "To try it"
I can only manage 1 slice usually but I have just had a toasted teacake. I ate it slowly and stopped when I start to fee any restriction.
Just go slowly and don't try to eat the whole loaf lol

toasted I can eat bread with no problems.

In a sandwich, I cant usually manage both sides of the sandwich, but enjoy what I do have.

My favourite is to have some crusty baguette with the doughy inside ripped out as much as possible. It makes a lovely easy to go down sandwich like that, or with a bit of cheese, or to accompany soup.

I prob only have bread once or twice a week now, whereas pre-op I had bread every day without fail.

i only have3 probs with really fresh white bread, all other bread, rolls and wraps go down fine

I'm almost a year post op and I've been having bread since 3 months post op with no problems. I don't eat much of it as I'm a carb addict and try to limit the carbs I have but I don't have problems digesting it. I get very full eating fresh white whereas brown, granary or the soya and linseed bread seems to go down much easier so I tend to eat that rather than white, and I am used to eating the brown as a diabetic so have carried on with that.

Last edited:
Been eating bread since I moved onto solid foods. I've avoided white bread and usually have one slice of Burgens soya and linseed or something equally 'seedy'. No probems as long as I take my time.

I'm with Stella on this subject. I've had bread from about 3 months out, first onky toasted but after a while untoasted is OK but only in small amounts. I prefer te Burgen soya and linseed bread but only 1 slice if it isn't toasted. The Burgen is good in that it has more protein than the normal white or wholemeal. I also like a crusty baggette but can't manage a whole one. Just try some Kim and see how you go. What have you got to lose?

I can eat any type of bread, but the golden rule is I must always chew it properly or I suffer. Plain white bread is the worst if not chewed.

bread for me is hit and miss but defo agree on the warburtons seeded batch, especially the very small one. wraps and mini pittas and the occasional half a bagel seem to be easier to tolerate (eaten very slowly) as they don't tend to expand so much. i always leave some room when i've had a very small amount of bread... just in case

Oh Kim, i feel so blessed now.......

I can eat any bread, brown bread, white bread, crusty bread, wraps, pitta, naan bread the lot!

I have done since about 6 weeks post op and it's the only thing that doesn't bother me!

I have pretty much eaten bread from solid stage. At first it was taosted, but then onto butties. If there is salad on it - I can manage a full 2 slice butty (never white bread - ever) and if no salad and just meat, then I can do half then wait 15 mins and then have the other half.
I was never told to avoid it, was just told to be wary of white bread as its empty carbs.
It certainly fills me up and sits in my pouch for a while - which is the point isnt it?! x

If I can go down to one or two small slices of wholemeal a day I would be ecstatic!I eat way too much bread,hence the weight.

Ive not tried bread yet, Im a bit wary of having it as I was such a big bread eater. Im worried I will start and not stop! I might just try some brown bread toast in the next week or so and see how I get on with that :D XX

Back