• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tablets post op

Jen1961

Is on her way!
Hi guys... I am 2+ weeks post op now and I was wondering if any of you other post oppers take your tablets without crushing them without any problems. I only have to crush the one Simvastatin at night but it means I have to open a yoghurt to be able to tolerate it and was wondering if anyone else took tabs so early post op without crushing to no avail? :)

Oh God they taste discusting don't they. I have to admit I've not been taking mine. My surgeon told me that I could take my tablets whole after two weeks and I'm certainly looking forward to it. My fenofibrate one is an enormous capsule and I asked about that and he laughed and said yes it will be fine your pouch isn't that small. So Come Monday I'll be swallowing them whole.

Kate x

Thanks Kate, I think I might try taking it whole tonight.. it is only a small tablet anyway.

My 'Rule' sheet that I was given says 6 weeks but I am sure I can get away with a small tablet this soon. We shall see :)

i've been taking all mine whole since day of the op when they were given to me whole by the nursing staff on the ward, not been told anything otherwise and they've been going down fine, atm i'm taking centrum a-z, lanzoprazole, urdox (to stop gall stone formation) and paracetamol, although i have codeine just in case - isn't it odd how different hospitals work!

I was given liquid paracetamol which tastes rank. I just can't bare it so I have quit taking it for the last two days and I am getting along ok without it really. I am still uncomfortable around my liver port but its getting easier each day.

I might try tablet paracetamol if necessary if this tab tonight goes down alright :) thanks for your help guys x

I could tolerate tablets far better than the liquid or dissolve able ones from the start. Rank taste or smell was to much for my tim to consider or was it my head either way not nice. It would take ages to take the amount I needed each day so staggered them across the day I can now take them all at same time of day a little sip with each.
I was on my pain killers 2x paracetamol 1x ibruprofen, 1x meberverine, 1x Omeprazole, 2x thyroxin, 2x chewable calcium & 1 x multi vitamin & liquid glucosamine. Now I have to add iron into the mix & zinc tablets or zinc rich foods. Big tablets I have to cut/bite in two first but avoid buying those if I can my pouch objects to them or did haven't tried them lately.

I was given codeine tablets the day after my op in the hospital!

Hi Marie i hope you dont mind i sent you a friends request on here as i talk to you more... just seen your message here regarding codiene.... the hospital i had my op.. charing cross in hammersmith gave me codiene... but soluble... which i thought was pretty strange cosidering we cant have fizzy stuff... they were absolutley revolting... i would put two in water and leave them for about 6 hours, then try and swallow then as soon as they get inside you they would fizz up again.... my doc here gave me some capsules... but i havnt had to take any so all good... were you given soluble ones?
Rayne x

Update:

I managed fine with my simvastatin last night so decided to try two paracetamol this morning and am pleased to report all went down fine and no ill effects. Phew!

:)

Back