• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

advice please xx

Tif

Hi Guys,

Ive decided to get a gastric ballon fitted . Im 16.5 5'6 with a BMI of 37 ish and im 30 yrs old
What are peoples experiences with this method?

Hi Tif :) I am not sure if any of the active posters are fitted with a balloon at the moment. Hope I am wrong on that but I can't put a name to one at the moment.

I think that one of the bypassers has had one in the past so hopefully someone will pop along to give you clearer details.

Is the temporary 6 months what attracted you?
Looking forward to hearing more about you , hopefully we can give you some support even with our differing operations xxx

Hi there hun

I have not had the balloon fitted, however one of my friends had it fitted to lose enough weight to have a bypass. She lost a phenominal amount of weight (6 stone in 6 months) however she really struggled at first with sickness. Nothing and I mean NOTHING she ate or drank would stay down and she survived on tiny amounts of water for about a week. Things soon settled though and she began to lose weight.
She was a lot bigger than you to begin with which is another reason why she lost so much weight.
Hope that helps

Sally

Hi hun,,,dont really know anything about the balloon just wanted to wish you well take care xx

My doc said it is only a temp thing as when its removed if you havent completely changed your eating habits you will regain the weight.It is usually used for someone with a lot to lose before band bypass or a serious op that is needed.Are you going through nhs or private?A band would suit you better if you graze all day or bypass if you eat large portions or love sweet stuff.

the balloon is a tempory thing (6 months max) and after its removal patients usually regain the weight that was lost, its no good for a permanant weight loss x

as above. I think thats why it's the cheapest option of all bariatric surgeries (if it can be called surgery of sorts)

Hi Tif

I had the balloon in 2009 ,not sure what you want to know but ask away i will answer what i can :D.

Some things for starters that might help.

You can only have the balloon for 6 months due to the stomach acid eroding the balloon.

From a personal point of view i found it better to have a local anesthetic to have the balloon inserted,which entails you lying on your side and a tube being inserted into your mouth and down into your stomach then saline is put into the balloon to
inflate it.
I was in hospital for 3 days but some people are out the same day depends on whether you are private and the p.c.t area you live in.

You will be sick for the first few days,sorry but you will,i think its your bodies defences trying to get rid of the intruder as to say :(

The diet is the same as any WLS,fluids to start with ,then sloppy foods and finally crisp and crunchy.
You arent restricted in what you eat after your stomach has settled down,by which i mean you could still eat the wrong foods eg,chips,pizza and mac donalds :p(not adviseable),as the whole point of having the balloon is to help you loose weight,it is a really good learning tool to help you eat smaller meals.

I lost just over 3st in 6 months some people have lost more,according to my nurse some people loose nothing and some people have to have it removed earlier due to personal reasons everyone is different.
I had the balloon to help me loose weight as i had a failed bypass due to a fatty liver,and i didnt want to go through that again :(.

Hope this helps anything else you want to know, like i said please ask

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Good luck hun xx

Hi Tif

I had the balloon in 2009 ,not sure what you want to know but ask away i will answer what i can :D.

Some things for starters that might help.

You can only have the balloon for 6 months due to the stomach acid eroding the balloon.

From a personal point of view i found it better to have a local anesthetic to have the balloon inserted,which entails you lying on your side and a tube being inserted into your mouth and down into your stomach then saline is put into the balloon to
inflate it.
I was in hospital for 3 days but some people are out the same day depends on whether you are private and the p.c.t area you live in.

You will be sick for the first few days,sorry but you will,i think its your bodies defences trying to get rid of the intruder as to say :(

The diet is the same as any WLS,fluids to start with ,then sloppy foods and finally crisp and crunchy.
You arent restricted in what you eat after you stomach has settled down,by which i mean you could still eat the wrong foods eg,chips,pizza and mac donalds :p(not adviseable),as the whole point of having the balloon is to help you loose weight,it is a really good learning tool to help you eat smaller meals.

I lost just over 3st in 6 months some people have lost more,according to my nurse some people loose nothing and some people have to have it removed earlier due to personal reasons everyone is different.
I had the balloon to help me loose weight as i had a failed bypass due to a fatty liver,and i didnt want to go through that again :(.

Hope this helps anything else you want to know, like i said please ask

Good Luck.

:) Well hello stranger nice to see you on here again, long time no speak !! your looking good in your piccy, how have you been ? im now awaiting my band out and a converstion to a bypass next month, i hope you are well Di xxx

:) Well hello stranger nice to see you on here again, long time no speak !! your looking good in your piccy, how have you been ? im now awaiting my band out and a converstion to a bypass next month, i hope you are well Di xxx

I am good thanx Liz ,cant believe your having a bypass now ,what you trying to do have the full quota like me ,bypass (well almost oopps),gastric balloon and gastric sleeve .
Good Luck and i will be popping back in to see how you are progressing .
Take care
xx

I am good thanx Liz ,cant believe your having a bypass now ,what you trying to do have the full quota like me ,bypass (well almost oopps),gastric balloon and gastric sleeve .
Good Luck and i will be popping back in to see how you are progressing .
Take care
xx

yeah bypass, fingers crossed 3rd time lucky for me and hoping this will be my last op, i need finality that banding has not offered me, im glad your ok Di its nice to hear from you again xxx

Back