• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Im a newbie.. Advice please! :)

lclucy89

Hi Everyone!

I have recently been researching WLS, I have been looking at the gastric balloon. My BMI is around 37 and no matter what diet I do or how much exercise I cannot get this weight off me!! :( At the age of 21 it really does control my life!

I would be paying for it myself so I have been looking at going abroad because it is cheaper. Has anyone had any experiences they can tell me about or just advice?

Thanks
Lucy :)

Hiya and welcome aboard xx Unfortunately I don't know of anyone who has had long term permanent succcess with a balloon.
If you are self funding , you might want to have a look at different procedures which seem a lot more successful, eg the sleeve or wrap which are newer and seem to be pretty good for loss as well as no need for adjustments and no malnourishment / malabsorbtion issues x

Hiya and welcome aboard xx Unfortunately I don't know of anyone who has had long term permanent succcess with a balloon.
If you are self funding , you might want to have a look at different procedures which seem a lot more successful, eg the sleeve or wrap which are newer and seem to be pretty good for loss as well as no need for adjustments and no malnourishment / malabsorbtion issues x

Thanks for the reply.. Can you get these done abroad..? I havent seen much info on those!

I did think about that, but as I am paying myself, I really cannot afford to have it over here.

I looked into the sleeve and wrap and I dont think I want to do something that is irreversible. So maybe the band?
xx

lclucy89 said:
I did think about that, but as I am paying myself, I really cannot afford to have it over here.

I looked into the sleeve and wrap and I dont think I want to do something that is irreversible. So maybe the band?
xx

Hi & welcome :)
I've opted to have the band it's reversible if not or you xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi & welcome :)
I've opted to have the band it's reversible if not or you xx

Have you had the op?? How are you getting on?

Where did you get it done?

Thanks

Hi Lucy

Please think very carefully about your choices. I understand the band to be reversible but would be concerned if I thought that someone was having a band fitted with a view to it being reversed ~ as short term fix.

I am not sure of your weight ratio as a BMI of 37 does not tell me a great deal ~ that is to say that under PCT guidelines (which are there for a reason!) would not consider surgery under BMI 35 per se and then at 35 – 40 only with co morbidities . . . please don’t think I am being patronising but if all you need to do is loose a few pound (or even a couple of stone) then surgery may not be for you. Also please take advice from your own GP on which surgery would be best for you (if any) . . . your decision should be based on reasoned advices and research and not what fits your pocket. xx

Yes I understand that, I did mention to my doctor that I was looking into surgery and he didnt really comment. He just told me what different surgeries were there.
Its not just the fact that it is reversiable, I am not interested in having it taken out. I just dont feel comfortable with the ideas of the bypass or wrap because of the surgical side.
xx

I have booked my surgery.

I fly over to Prague on Sunday 26th June, for the band to be fitted Monday 27th.

I am so excited, its going to be hard work, but I am determined.

like Neen, ive not heard of any long term success with the balloon.

I know in my heart of hearts, that if i had the opportunity to eat like i did pre-op, i would. I didnt want a surgery that was reversible.

I opted for a sleeve which was half way between surgeries for me, and im very happy. I can eat most things and its turned my eating habbits right around.

If your serious about surgery, do more research :) x

Hi lclucy89,
I have to self-fund. Glad to hear you have made your choice. Can you tell me what you are having done and why you chose to go abroad. Thx

lclucy89 said:

xx

Hi there! I can't afford it!! I'm not sure a lot of us can... But u have to think of the long term...
How much money have u spent on fad diets?
How much money will you save on your weekly shop?
How much money will you save on chocolate etc?

If youre anything like me you will save loads of money... You are investing in your HEALTH your HAPPINESS and your FUTURE!! I know it's a lot but it's worth it- I am 3 months in after a band I'm 25 and my life has just started! It's hard but worth it!! Xxx

lclucy89 said:
Have you had the op?? How are you getting on?

Where did you get it done?

Thanks

Hi Lucy
I have my band fit this Wednesday will
Keep ya posted :)
Xxx

lclucy89 said:
I have booked my surgery.

I fly over to Prague on Sunday 26th June, for the band to be fitted Monday 27th.

I am so excited, its going to be hard work, but I am determined.

Congrats :) we can follow each other as were so close on dates
Who will do your fills etc if you have it done abroad xx

Lilianna, I am having the band fitted, I chose to go abroad because it is cheaper! Its so much dearer over here!

Gail, You can fly back over there in a day to get it done, or they said they have a private nurse over here. Where are you getting yours done? xx

lclucy89 said:
Lilianna, I am having the band fitted, I chose to go abroad because it is cheaper! Its so much dearer over here!

Gail, You can fly back over there in a day to get it done, or they said they have a private nurse over here. Where are you getting yours done? xx

Wow a day that's fab!
I'm having mine done in Dolan park with the hospital group it's 3 hours from me I go in Wednesday and have my op Thursday am
I'm so scared
Xxx

Glad you've managed to make an appropriate choise for you Lucy. As other's have said I don't know of anyone who has had long ter success with the balloon. I do know that some surgeons use it to help severely obese people get down to a weight which makes surgery safer prior to doing another procedure like RNY, sleeve etc.

Hope all goes well.

Back