• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Gastric Band PLEASE help me someone?

Kimberleyx

Hi guys im new to this and i dont know who else to talk to but im 19 years old and im serious about gastric band surgery i just weighed myself and im 16 stones and 7 pounds and ive had enough ive been dieting for 3 months & excersising and ive lost hardly anything about a pound!, all my friends are slim and just laugh at me when i try talk about it and im scared of going to talk to my gp incase she says im being rediculous and i cant have it but ive never wanted anything more in my whole entire life!
ive had a very troubled upbringing, my father was a paedophile and used to beat my mum but they had a divorce and the weight piled on from there and i had to leave school and go to a pupil referral unit and ive got great grades but im just deeply unhappy and i have dreams of being a holiday rep abroad but i dont want to go for it when i feel this fat and unhealthy can anyone please help me and let me know what i need to do to get my gp to help me? please share your stories of nhs gastric bands id love to know! thanks so much guys

kim xx

Hi kim im a bypasser but couldnt read and run. welcome to minis im sure some of the banders will be along soon to share their experiances.
Your starting point has to be your GP to refere you and get the funding but i personally think that by talking to him about how you feel in general and how your life experiances are effecting you may find that he is very understanding and helpful im more ways than you realise.
good luck on your journey and i hope you get to do your dream job .
take care hc

Hi thanks so much for the reply, ive had the same gp since i was a featus lol! she is my mothers gp and monitered my mum whilst she was pregnant with me :) so she knows alot about our troubled family as shes helped so much with councling and so on.. i just keep piling weight on and im eating so sensible and keeping to 1500 calories a day and drinking water nothing is working and i just want to sort this before it gets out of controll and i lose the best years of my life, im just more scared of her offering me a diet and turning me away because ive been dieting & exercising for years and its not happening i just keep gaining waeight i checked my bmi its 37!!! :(
im just so unhappy and i could never in a million years find £7,000 to go private

thanks for the support guys it means alot!

x

Hi kim it maybe that you need more support than just a diet keep a food diary and take that along with you too your appointment. it helps show how commited you are.
good luck hun i know where your coming from i have always been big and feel i have missed out on lots of things because of it.
hc

thanks again for the reply i know what your saying but my brother weighed 19 and a half stone and he managed to lose the weight all by himself hes now 11 stone (he is 6 ft 1 though) and he is a royal marine and my eldest sister she gained alot of weight and she is now a size 8 - 10 and they have been helping me for about a year now and nothing is working and im trying so hard!,, i havent got a food diary and i cant face another diet ive even considered killing myself over this, im not going to take my own life over it right now but ive been so low tht ive considered it so many times..
i have been doing alot of research and it says the nhs will only give them to patients with a bmi of over 40 or 30 - 40 with a condition that requires the surgery and waiting lists of upto 3 years :(!!
i just cant face another summer feeling like the fattest girl in the club and not enjoying shopping with my friends because size 18's are starting to get tight and im so miserable over it, im not a chocolate freak or into fast food im just trying so hard and nothings working

hey kim dont compare yourself to your brother and sister i have 3 sister none of whome have a weight problem. my mum used to have a 22 inch waist until she had me and i was her youngest then shot upto 18 stone and my dad was always tiny.
At least by seeing yr dr she can run teats as a atarting point and hopefully refer you on but you do ned to be honest about how it makes you feel. maybe print this thread out if you cant face saying it to her.

Well im going to talk to my eldest sister later and ask her to come with me to the doctors as im just rediculously nervous about all of this, i feel i can talk to my gp ive just never talked to her about my weight i remember being slimmer and being a 14 and thinking i was fat then and just deluding myself it was normal and slowly the weights kept creeping and im bitterly unhappy now i feel depressed actually and i just dont want to be another statistic and leave it too late but i want this band more than anything in the world! :(..
ill book an appointment tommorow and let you know how it goes if you like?
When you say referred what happens when they reffer me and who would i be referred to? sorry for all the questions just i dont know alot about the system before the op, thanks alot

Hi Kim,

I'm a pre-op bander, but am going privately rather than the NHS route, so cant help too much on speaking to a GP.

Hopelesscase is right, don't compare yourself to your siblings, our metabolisms are all different, both my parents and my siblings have never had a weight issue, and here I am!! Have you ever been tested for an underactive thyroid? That could be a start.

Also start writing down a list of all the diets you have tried, how long you have been on each of those diets and what the weight loss was.

Keep a diary - list your food intake and also write down how you are feeling during the day and why you are feeling that way.

THEN, take both the diet sheet and the diary to your doctor. The list of diets will show your doctor how desperate you have been to try and lose weight and the limited (if any) success you have had, the diary, will show (as previously mentioned) how committed you are, but also honey, it will show how deeply depressed you are, and that will work in your favour.

Now the last thing you need to do, is keep posting on here - we're all here to support you.

xx

First of all if your eating a sensible low cal diet then you are doing the right thing, what about increased exercise have you made a start at this even if it is just walking?

then there are things that affect your metabolism for instance have you had a Thyroid function test, i am not saying that is the problem but its a medical possability thats preventing you losing the weight.

Welcome to mini's Kim keep us informed on how you get on

hi and welcome i have a feeling your bmi might not be high enough for an nhs band but speak to your dr there are some good medicine routes to try bfor they refer you they can work well to get things moving x

Hi kim i would love to hear how you go on. Good ideas here and also good idea taking yr sister with you. different areas have different referal methods so its no good me saying whayt mine was as if she does decide to refere you it could be completly different.
take care
hc

Hi Kim, I feel for you I really do. I think your GP is definately the best person to speak to. It is such an emotional subject because it affects every part of our lives. The medical profession are very aware of weight management at the moment as it is so high profile in the press. Especially amongst the young. I wish you well. Definately take your sister with you, especially if you have a good relationship with her. It is very difficult for your slimmer friends to understand what you are feeling and I am sure they don't mean to take it lightly, they just have no idea of the pressure you feel. You take care chicken.

hi kim and firstly welcome to minis, as the others have said the 1st stop for nhs banding is with your gp, if your gp knows you well she will understand the resons to why you became overweight in the 1st place, your so young and trying to change your life now is a really good thing as i wish i had looked at surgery when i was younger, what area do you live in as the bmi guide lines aer different depending where you live, 37 is a low bmi for nhs banding but the gp could refere you on her discretion under you being depressed and how nhs banding could help with that.
good luck and let us know how you get on.

liz x

Hi Kim, I had to go private so I won't be much use to you re. the NHS route - I just wish you the best and hope to hear how you are getting on.

Best wishes to you.

Hiya! Im new to this site as well, so we are both newbies! I am 43 yrs of age and have a weight problem since i was 2oish. Unfotunately for 9 years i steadly gained a stone in weight a year and it was only the 9 years later that my doctors decided to test me for an underactive thyroid gland and discovered i have one and put me on fluexotine to balance it out. (do you feel tired a lot of the time?) Straight a way i stopped putting the weight on but have never lost it - please make sure your doctor tests you for this as it may help you stop gaining weight and also help you in your quest in losing weight also once your thyroid is balanced. Make you sure you do this first as because of mine being undetected for so long it also led me to having a B12 deficiency of which i have regular 10 weekly injections for which in turn led me to have peripheral nerve damage on one side of my body. Good luck - get tested!!

Kimberly, kimberly,Kimberly I just want to give you the biggest hug sweetheart and tell you all will be well.I really feel for you and having a daughter myself of 19 makes it even harder.Have you tried any prescription meds for weight loss from your gp??? It may be wise to ask her for them to help get some of the weight moving. You're so young and for you to get so down about your weight as got to give your gp a different view on wls for you. Speak to her with your sisters support and ask her about the meds as well.Good luck and keep posting then we can all support you sweetheart as some of us are on here till the early hours so don't feel alone xxxx Gaynor xxxx

Hiya Kim... If you go to your doctors and they say that your BMI isnt high enough to be considered for NHS banding, ask them to do a thyroid test, if this comes back all ok, ask your daughter if they will put you on a drug called orlistat, they say its an appetite suppresant and it is to start with but you soon gain your appetite back, but what it does do is give you a boost in energy, I have been on this drug myself and in 4 weeks i lost 3 stone in weight but then it all stopped, i am alot bigger than you though so it might work better for you.I wish you luck with your gp and can sense how desperate you are, hope it all goes well. Take Care X p.s i know exactly what you mean about your thin friends laugh at you when you try to talk about it, mine just say your lovely the way you are, its ok for them to say it when your feeling down on yourself. Make the appointment and go along with your sister X

Back