• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice please

dani38

Hello I have just joined this site today. I havent had sugery but i have an appointment to discuss it with my gp this week. I have had a terrible relationship with food all my life. I think this stems from my mom putting me on a diet from the age of 10 (being 10 stone) I have being on and off diets since getting bigger and bigger.
I am considering a sleeve but am worried that my brain wont cope with the transision and it could end up being very dangerous. Any advice would be appreciated on peoples experiences and if they feel its the way to go.
regards

Hello and welcome.

In what way do you consider it being dangerous?

I'm a sleever and it's changed me mentally and physically :)

I think if you've taken the decision to talk to your gp then your brain is already making the transition. It's hard for us all to get our head round the fact that we cannot lose the weight on our own with traditional methods. Food has been our best friend for life, it's hard to think you'll never have a friend like that again, non judgemental and comforting but most of all accepting of us....

Surgery is not something that happens overnight, if you really really want this to happen then your head will work it's way round it.

This site will help you do that if you use it thoroughly and ask of it all you can need and more.....

Welcome and good luck, i look forward to watching your progress and wish you well with your gp xx

Excellent advice there given by Julie. Like she has just said, if you have already made that first step to dicuss things with your GP, then your brain is already slowly beginning to accept that you can't do this on your own. I would suggest that for many of us, actually admitting you are obese, and then realising that you are unable/always will be unable to lose weight for any length of time on your own, really are the hardest steps. My advice would be to read everything you can get your hands on about weight loss surgery: what surgeries are available, how they work, what input/commitment is going to be expected from you, aftercare, long-term nutritional supplements, exercise, pro's & cons of each surgery, long-term health implications/risks with or without surgery, etc etc. Then, frequent many of the weight loss forums, read about others peoples experiences good & bad, talk to people about how things were for them. After all this, you will be in a much better situation to make an informed descision about which would be the best way forward for you, If after all this you want to go ahead with it, then be prepared for a long-ish wait, esp. if you are looking to be funded by the NHS.

thank you all so much for your replies i was wondering if anyone knows the criteria for having the sleeve on the nhs. And by dangerous i was presuming that if i was to try and eat something i shouldn t wouldn t it be really bad 4 my stomach been a quarter of the size it is now ? Thanks again everyone. X

Hiya and welcome xxxx

I was in the same situation as you...ie the dieting at 10 only i was set on the diet by the school nurse!!!!! this I feel set me on a slippery slope!!!!

It does take a great deal of soul searching before coming to the decision of having WLS.
I spent the time after seeing my GP to thoroughly research all options of WLS with this you will be able to make an informed decision of what will be best for you xx xxxxx

good luck at the docs and keep us informed on your journey xxxxx

Back