• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

after the nurse who lets me no if i can have this opp x

christine1957

hi i went to see the nurse at srh on tue 25th oct anyone no what happens now i was so nervous i did not ask what happens next, i saw the dieticion after the nurse, they said id get to see the surgeon in about 6 months. is this when they tell me if i can have the opp or not, because i have since been told that they will have a meeting and then i would get a letter saying if i can have it or not, so if any can tell me i would be very happy thanks chris

christine1957 said:
hi i went to see the nurse at srh on tue 25th oct anyone no what happens now i was so nervous i did not ask what happens next, i saw the dieticion after the nurse, they said id get to see the surgeon in about 6 months. is this when they tell me if i can have the opp or not, because i have since been told that they will have a meeting and then i would get a letter saying if i can have it or not, so if any can tell me i would be very happy thanks chris

Hi Christine. I too am at SRH. They told us at the seminar that we are accepted for surgery. All you have to do to stay accepted is do as they ask. When you saw the dietician and nurse you would have been given a target weight loss. As long as you lose what they ask you should be put on the actual list.
Hope this helps :)

i did not get a target weight loss as i had lost over a stone so just told me not to put weight on so i was pleased with that now it hard to keep it off lol x

From experience I would say lose a little more now and so if you put on over christmas, you will still be over the weight you were when you were last there :)

Hi the meeting your referring to is the MDT - nothing to worry about everyone is discussed here. All they do is review your file and have a chat to see if they are all in agreement of the surgery that you have choose is the right one for you.

Put it this way they lost my file so I wasn't even discussed till after I saw the surgeon lol.

You will get a letter confirming you have been discussed there will be a copy to yourself and your GP. Then you will go to see the surgeon who will discuss how you lost and kept the weight off. He will ask if you still want to go ahead with the surgery and if you fully understand it.

Then you will have your endo and if everything is ok you will be added to the list. Then all you have to do is wait for your op date. This is the hardest i found Xx

Hi Christine, i too am at SRH and saw the nurse and dietician in Febuary. i got an appointment within a few weeks to go and see the surgeon on 29th June, go prepared with a list of questions that you might have as from experience after waiting over an hour to see him i was in and out in less than 10 minutes and was in such a fluster i forgot to ask half of the things i wanted to know. prior to going in to see him i was weighed, once in there he basically said "oh good you have exceeded your weight loss target do you still want to go ahead with bypass?" i replied "yes" and he said fine and got up to leave. i managed to keep him there another few minutes to establish what happens next he basically told me that all i needed to do was keep that weight off and any more off would be great and i would get an appoint for endoscopy within 2-4 months. Got an appointment for 9 weeks later and had endoscopy on September 2nd. He told me that day that all was well with the endoscopy and i would be put on the list.
I called his secretary about 6 weeks later as i had not recieved written confirmation that i was on the list. She was lovely and very helpful, she told me i was put on the list and the waiting list has reduced from 6 months to less than 3 months. i recieved a call from her on 11.11.11 offering a date for surgery on 2.12.11 so i will have been on the list 10 weeks and it was exactly 3 months since endoscopy. now i have to wait for details of the pre diet coming in the post and she said to expect a phone call from a bariatric nurse to arrange for me to go in for a pre op assessment.
hope this helps hun xx

Back