• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Aftercare for you scar (open bypass)

ryanrara

RyanRARA
If you have had an open bypass, can you offer any advice on post op care for your scar. Short, medium and long term. What creams are recommended and why? Any helpful tips/hints?
I am 3 months post op today and the surgeon did a great job on my scar. Straight, neat and not messy. It's very dark at the moment but i believe it will fade in time. I currently don't apply any creams or anything though, just soap and water. And with my summer holidays planned, I want to start working on my scar - so please any advise greatfully appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Ryan,

There as much discussion about this very subject 2 years ago on the old Minis forum.

In terms of early post-op care, just clean water washing over it is suffice, as soaps/lotions can irritate the healing skin and interfere with the natural healing process. Pat dry with a clean towel.

For longer term care some people advocate the use of products such as 'Bio Oil' or even Emu oil (!) to help keep the scar tissue supple.

ive heard that bio oil works wonders x

I've been using bio oil on my keyhole scars since they healed, they are fading very nicely! Quite often Lloydspharmacy have half price deals on Bio Oil so look out for it! :)

i dont know if you have a shop called home bargains near you.. but i work in the milton keynes branch and we sell bio oil at half the price... ie 4.99 instead of 9.99 x

dermatology departments recommend vaseline on scars , also make sure they are well protected (SPF 50) in the sun

Kate xx

I've been using bio oil. My scar is HUGE ! It goes from just under my bust right down into the top of my belly button! I was gutted when I watched Fat Doctor the other week and saw scars for open bypass the third of the length of mine. It is still very dark though there are a couple of places where it has started to lighten.
I also get tightness and pain over and around each side of the scar. It's especially bad if I've been sitting for a while and I can't straighten up right away. Has anyone else had this ?

If you don't mind me asking why did you have to have open as opposed to laproscopic bypasses??
I've had a breast reduction and a stoma in place so I look like I've been mauled my a shark but have to say the Bio Oil did really help and after a few years they aren't as noticeable and I suppose I've came to accept them as part of me.
xx

My PCT only fund open. At every appointment I asked for keyhole lol . At my pre-op the anaesthetist told me to ask on the day. When I saw the surgeon I asked, even pointed out that as the one after me was a band they'd have to get the kit out anyway! Still ended up with a zipper up my middle though!

I've been using bio oil. My scar is HUGE ! It goes from just under my bust right down into the top of my belly button! I was gutted when I watched Fat Doctor the other week and saw scars for open bypass the third of the length of mine. It is still very dark though there are a couple of places where it has started to lighten.
I also get tightness and pain over and around each side of the scar. It's especially bad if I've been sitting for a while and I can't straighten up right away. Has anyone else had this ?

hahahahahahahahaha :8855::8855::8855:

hahahahahahahahaha :8855::8855::8855:

To be sure , you have a mean streak there Caron..... *

If you actually saw the blighter you'd probably need oxygen! I'm now thinking of having a nice tattoo round it, like an ivy or clematis perhaps ! My son has suggested this as probably the only way forward lol !

* only joking of course-xx

Last edited:
I went to a lectuer by a plastic surgeon from one of the London Burns units and he suggested... it's the massage itself that helps the collegen and fibres re lay themselves and prevent the build up of scar tissue and it should be done twice a day for the first 6 months. He said not to waste money on 'bio oil' as baby oil or vitamin E capsuals are just as effective at reducing scaring in the trials they had performed. They also suggested sun block on all scars for 2 years post op!
Like everything I suppose you will always get differing opinions and it's what works for you. I have to say I found the vitamin E capsules popped with a pin and used to massage worked very well for my post op scars in the past, and I have one hit to hip!

very useful advice.......making a mental note...will be seeing the plastics nurse on thursday will ask her opinion and share

Back