• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Choosing a surgeon and correct surgery

NewHorizons

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here and hoping you lovely people can help! I have quite a history with my weight but to keep it short, I had a gastric band back in 2004 in France. It failed in 2009 and had to get taken out. Since then I've been on the typical rollercoaster of yo-yo dieting, with my weight ranging vastly. I'm not at my heaviest - not helped at all the pandemic and a knee injury! After much thought, I have made the decision I need to revisit surgery, although I won't deny I'm very apprehensive about it. I had originally decided a Gastric Sleeve would be best. I had a virtual consultation a couple of months ago via Streamline and the chap I spoke to said because I've had a failed band, I would need to have a bypass, not a sleeve. He then recommended a mini-bypass. I have moved house in between so the surgery had to go on the back burner, but I'm now keen to get it done asap. But I just wanted to ask if any of you have had the sleeve after a failed band? To me a bypass is so drastic and I'm worried about malabsorption issues etc. Also, I would really appreciate your recommendations on surgeons. I'm in South Wales but am willing to travel almost anywhere in the UK to have the best surgeon. Any advice anyone could give me on the band to sleeve/bypass issue and surgeon recommendations would be so appreciated. Thank you x