• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol help needed

Toni Osborn

Hi ladies and gents,

I'm about 7 weeks post op and doing really well pretty much back on a more solidish diet. I was wondering at what point people tried alcohol again and what sort of drinks they can tolerate. I have a few events coming up and would like to be able to have a sociable drink or two?

Thanks in advance x

I was advised to not have any booze for at least 6 months and then still avoid as its empty calories and does no good, get drunk much quicker could lead to dumping but they knew a drink would be taken so said just be carefully so I had my first tipple at Christmas dinner a very small red wine(3 months post op) watered down lasted the whole night and was lovely but did make me feel light headed!

I was advised not to drink for a year, which I stuck to. Personally, I think 7 weeks post op is way too early. I'd ring the team at the hospital and ask their advice. As every provider has different guidelines.

Hi ladies and gents,

I'm about 7 weeks post op and doing really well pretty much back on a more solidish diet. I was wondering at what point people tried alcohol again and what sort of drinks they can tolerate. I have a few events coming up and would like to be able to have a sociable drink or two?

Thanks in advance x

I was told 12 weeks post op by my surgeon. I waited 12 weeks and tested the water (no pun intended ?). I'm now 8 months out and I can drink any alcohol I want. I never dump and never get 'easily' drunk. It exactly like it was pre-op. I only drink once a month at the most and don't ever drink in the house - only in social settings.

I'm three months post op and had a few white wine sodas while on holiday last week. I got drunk very easily if I had a completely empty stomach but after food I was fine.

Back