• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol??? yes/no???

barbara18

im not a regular drinker but i am an occasional drinker is it ever ok to drink alcohol after a bypass??? and if so can anyone recomend a non fizzy, low sugar drink what i could tollerate when the occasion arises. may thanks barbara x

I have a small half glass of wine every night - I sip it slowly and have never had any problems. While on holiday I had some cocktails and have even had a couple of sips of champagne. Just drink really slowly and be aware that alcohol gets into your system much quicker after a bypass.

we went out on saturday night and i was scared stiff to try anything so ended up with a tomato juice and a orange and water !!!!!

while in there we decided that im probably gonna have to stick to vodka and orange or malibu and pineapple juice or the good old wine.

how you feeling now, have you had any problems since they changed your medication

feeling alot better now thanks christine, so glad that i now know i can join in with special occasions, was dreading the thought of going on holiday and not being able to join in, how are you doing?? is your wounds healing ok after your unpleasant trip to the docs. many thanks for the advice. so i take a btl of blue wkd is out the window lol, i will just have to stick to wine, as im not a fan of spirit with a fruit juice mixer, had to be lemonade :(( lol. i like the idea of maybe a cocktail, saying that would there not be too much sugar in say a vodka orange and cranberry juice??? as i think that the only one i like many thanks barbara xx

I have the occasional cider (the kopperburg fruit ones) or southern comfort with lime and lemonade, but only ever 2 at the most and only a couple of times a year. I waited a year post op before having any though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I tend to have vodka and fresh orange or vodka and J20. I was trying to save money when i went out on Saturday so i was having a little diet coke but was swishing ice around like a mad woman to knock the fizz out of it. It was a bit frustrating and i hated diet coke before the op, so when flat it tasted even worse ! I do know many though that are quite happy to have the flattened cola.
When i can't face the acidity of fresh juices i tend to stick to wine.

is j2o a fresh fruit juice with no added sugars, as i like that drink but didnt dare buy it incase it was full of the 'bad' stuff lol, so i found myself ordering a sugar free orange and water, we only called in a cafe but i was looking forward to a refreshing drink slightly getting sick of the same drinks. thank you all so much for the advice xx

im not a fan of hot drinks so that is why im on the fruit juice all the time x

i drink voddy and still orange can do it with diet coke too x i can do most booze its the mixers thats the probs with the high sugars in them x

I avoided J20 for quite a while as i was worried to but i have a bypasser friend that drank it regularly, so i gave it a go and have been fine. I can tolerate drinks that have up to 11% sugars (when they are fruit sugars) and i think that J20 is about 10.5%
I always try anything for the first time at home, just incase it makes me dump, so i'd advise trying a small glass with some ice to dilute it a bit and see how you go before you drink it in a pub.
I can't get away with lager anymore but i seem very sensitive to fizz. I have friends who are a year post op that can do a light fizz but i get lots of discomfort.
I don't drink regularly either but when it was warm this weekend i really fancied a lager and blackcurrant ! I had to settle for a glass of rose wine instead.

I've tried most things. I quite like the pear cider with lots of ice and just now I'm having a nice glass of rose wine. lovely. Though beware it goes to your head quicker lol

I've tried most things. I quite like the pear cider with lots of ice and just now I'm having a nice glass of rose wine. lovely. Though beware it goes to your head quicker lol

if you were having a night out how many small drinks do you think you could tollerate x

Great thread Barbara this is all very interesting. I'm not a big drinker but it does bother me that I might not be able to join in on special occassions. Especially now I have seen a bit of sunshine it has got me thinking of summer bbqs etc.. :beer8:

well I'm having my glass of wine (one of those small bottles) and I can feel it going to my head already!! I'm not drunk or anything but can feel it. Now that I can feel the effects so early it really puts me off getting out of control. Its all down to trial and error though. I have had some nights out where things have spiralled very quickly and boy oh boy was I ill. :)

I spoke to my provider and they said alcohol won't do any damage but it can effect you quicker and it can make you dump so just go slowly and maybe water it down first and try it at home so you don't ruin a good night out xx

Try sipping a gin/vodka and low cal tonic (lots of tonic) over ice to help defizz it. I started to drink G&T few years back when other spirits/wine used to give me terrible heartburn, then gradually dropped the gin so its usually just tonic for me these days so I'm a cheap date now lol.

Back