• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol

How are people with alcohol after their op ?

I was advised not to drink for at least a year post bypass. It doesn't bother me, as I don't drink that much anyway.

Had 1 sip of Bucks's Fizz about 8 weeks out, was plastered :eek: Yes really, one tiny sip :eek:. I don't drink normally and have no need to repeat the experience any time soon!

I do enjoy a drink so think I will miss that but at least ill be a cheap date for hubby. And I've just been given 12 bottles of my favourite wine - bummer

I've never been a 'drinker', but enjoy a glass or two of beer or wine when the time arises. Interesting reading.

I used to be able to drink all my friends under the table, drink an awful lot less now, tend to stick with wine n lemonade or vodka n diet coke, too much gets you drunk as a skunk have had a couple of the head spinnin round when i'v gone to bed. xx

Had 1 sip of Bucks's Fizz about 8 weeks out, was plastered :eek: Yes really, one tiny sip :eek:. I don't drink normally and have no need to repeat the experience any time soon!

I don't drink either, but this happened to me the other day. It was hubby's 40th birthday on Sunday (eek) and we had a champagne toast. I had 3 sips and was trollied. I don't even like champagne!

Drinking now is really a no no for me,I've had an odd glass and it hits you straight away!
I don't like the feeling so I rarely do it x

When I drink it just hits me at the same speed that it used to. But the next day I cand eat anything I can only drink fluids, and not being able to eat on a hangover is seriously hard going, I was out of action for a full day and it was taking all I had to stop my body wrenching. I must add though I'm not a regular drinker so maybe it's that, but I'm doubting drinking again. Xx

I too am a cheap date now. Hubby thinks it's hilarious as I used to be like chrisa and be able to drink most people under the table.

my surgeon said u can drink after 2-3 months , but best not to lots as its empty calories, ohh and i was warned how quickly i would get drunk :) and sober up as quickly hehe x

I've had a couple of glasses wine since my op. The only thing is you really have to do a test at home with a friend/partner as you can never be sure how you are going to react to it. I don't get drunk quickly whilst drinking but when I've stopped it hits me like a tons of bricks and I feel like I have to go to bed quite quickly. So I have to be careful with it. So yeah I'd recommend a home test first, the other thing to remember is of course the empty calories so If I have a glass I work it into my daily calorie allowance, also alcohol is always burnt off first by the body before anything else. So burning fat takes a back seat until the alcohol is out of your system. So it's like anything post op, moderation is the key - obviously if you have the ok from your team too :)

Great reading all experiences - I'm not an alchi just enjoy social drinking and as with others can drink with the best of em - will take heed and eventually try in comfort of my own home first - brought up in a pub so its all normal to me but more important to get my life back first and get healthy thinner and confidence back ?

Back