• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Drinking Alcohol after Gastric bypass?

amysbypass

Does anyone know if it is ok to drink alcohol at 6 weeks post bypass?
if so, what can you drink and how much???
Thanks in advance people x

I was told to lay off the booze for 12 months after!!

Also, after that 12 months, you have to be real steady, obviosuly no fizzy drinks (Lager etc)

Does anyone know if it is ok to drink alcohol at 6 weeks post bypass?
if so, what can you drink and how much???
Thanks in advance people x

Hi there
I had my bypass done at Walsall and they said to avoid alcohol for 12 months post surgery. I dont drink so thats not a problem for me but I do have a friend who has had this done and she drinks but not sure how many weeks post op she started.
One thing to remember is that alcohol can be very acidic and can upset your new pouch.
Im sure there will be someone else along to give you some advice soon.........

Hi Amy

At 6 weeks post bypass its probably best to avoid alcohol all together, longer term you will be able to drink, though many bypassers find that the effects of alcohol are increased significantly, I.E you get drunk real quickly.
I do on occassions have a drink, but i'm really careful about how much i drink.

Hmm..my brochure says 12 weeks minimum - not a prob for me as I don't touch the stuff..but I would be very wary if I were you!

Thanks people! Just wanted to reassure you all that i had no plans to go on a bender! Lol! Just going out for a friends birthday and was planning on one maybe two at most very small drinks. I don't drink usually, last one was new years eve and even then only had a couple!

I would definately keep off it for now. It takes much longer for the internal wounds to heal and alcohol could irritate it. Do take care, and try and find something else to drink. I sometimes put red grape juice or britvic orange in a wine glass. It just feels nice to drink from a wine glass for a change. x x

Thanks people! Just wanted to reassure you all that i had no plans to go on a bender! Lol! Just going out for a friends birthday and was planning on one maybe two at most very small drinks. I don't drink usually, last one was new years eve and even then only had a couple!

Someone sent me this pic of you last time you had a drink :D

naked-drunk-woman.jpg

Last edited:
Back