• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol - has anyone?

Andrea73

Has anyone really went OFF alcohol since having their bypass or anyother surgery? I just really struggle to drink now. Even the one glass...... I think its because the alcohol affects me so quickly now and I can feel myself losing the control quicker.

I've got a few night outs coming up with lots of alcohol involved and I would really like to have a few. Oh I don't know maybe I should just accept that me and drink are over.:)

Would really like to hear from others and how you have dealt with nights out etc.

I was never a big drinker before the op but on a rare night out I enjoy a vodka or 3 since the op I have had a couple of glasses of wine but I did mix them with lemonade to start with, if you haven't had any since the op try a little at home first as you don't want to spoil your night out. I haven't tried the vodka yet but maybe soon as I have got a BBQ coming up, but I am also quite happy drinking lemon squash and you can always pretend you have alcohol in it lol

thats the funny things, I used to be able to drink ok although never loads. But recently I have went off it big style. I'm just back from a 2 week holiday abroad and just couldn't stomach drinking, not even a wee sangria.

Oops meant to say thats for your reply. I tried having a wee glass of pear cider tonight with ice but it went down the sink :(

Maybe give up on the alcohol and stick to the squash, it's nice and refreshing and cheaper than the booze lol x

I hope I havent gone off drinking alcohol.. Its too early to try yet but I like a drink and all my friends and family drink. There are some people who frown on it after bypass but I make no apology for liking a little tipple. Time will tell x

I have to ask this question?

If you went off chicken would you keep trying to eat it?

If you don't like it why have it? It does nothing nutritionally for you. You are obviously not enjoying it...

Just a thought. Me personally i've always been a take it or leave it kinda person and i've never needed to drink to make the best out of a good night out xx

Not going to nag here just to say, that from experience, you need to be very careful with drink. One drink post op will affect more than 10 will pre-op. It goes straight to your head and make you feel giddy and "not in control".

The other thing to be careful of is the sugar content in some drinks could make you drunk.

I am not going to say dont have it as I know sometimes it is nice to have a drink when others are but remember it will affect you differently now.

That said, maybe you should try a drink at home first and see how you get on.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have fun and enjoy yourself

I will try to find a drink I enjoy (in moderation) but if there are none I like then I wont drink, Simples. Yes it offers nothing nutritionally but I hate being around drunk people when I'm sober its not that I cant have a good time without drink. I dont even want to get drunk I would be too scared now but to be somewhere on the same wave length as the people around me, would be nice. At the end of the day I will adapt to whatever my body tells me.

I will try to find a drink I enjoy (in moderation) but if there are none I like then I wont drink, Simples. Yes it offers nothing nutritionally but I hate being around drunk people when I'm sober its not that I cant have a good time without drink. I dont even want to get drunk I would be too scared now but to be somewhere on the same wave length as the people around me, would be nice. At the end of the day I will adapt to whatever my body tells me.

I'm sorry i thought you said you weren't enjoying alcohol. I find your response a little bit disturbing.. The bit about not liking being sober when surrounded by drunks scares me, and having to be on the same wave length also...

Finally the adapting to whatever your body tells you? I thought you said your body wasn't liking it...

I'm sorry i thought you said you weren't enjoying alcohol. I find your response a little bit disturbing.. The bit about not liking being sober when surrounded by drunks scares me, and having to be on the same wave length also...

Finally the adapting to whatever your body tells you? I thought you said your body wasn't liking it...

I havent tried alcohol yet I'm only 4 weeks out. I think you have me mixed up with the lady who started the thread. Dont be scared by my comments Julie just speaking my mind thats how I felt pre bypass. Who knows how I will feel further along my path. One thing I know for sure is this bypass is my key to a better life and I'm grateful for it. There is no way I will be disrespecting it.

Sorry Mandy i was confusing you with Andrea...

Just do as EB says, be very careful when you go there because you will be surprised the difference in your body and tolerances xx

Oops Alcohol after a bypass is always such a questionable subject. I just raised the topic because I used to enjoy a good drink before the bypass, then after it I enjoyed a wee glass of wine or a wee cider with plenty of ice. Now though I am nearly 22 months post op and I just can't stomach any alcohol. I'm just wondering if this is my body telling me its crap, empty calories and you don't need it.

Mandy I totally agree with you as my family and friends all enjoy a drink or 12 and its quite a scary feeling being sober and having lots of drunk people around you.

I have tried several different types of drink in the house but to be honest it is doing nothing for me so I'm just gonna accept that I'm a cheap date now LOL

Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate everyones thoughts and views.
x

Back