• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alternatives to Forceval?

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hi all
Right, since surgery I have had a rash on my arms. At first it was just a group of around five red dots on one arm but over time it has gotten worse. Now it is on both arms, it is on my hands and up my arms. It doesnt itch unless I get really hot and then it only barely itches. I am seeing my doctor about it on Monday morning but along with another issue which I asked about on here (twitchy lip) and people wondering if it could be a medication sensitivity I sat down with my medications to read what is in them. On my Forceval box it says it contains Amaranth (E123) and Ponceau 4R (E124) which may cause allergic reactions. So I just had a good look online and found them both on a list of colourings that are known to cause reactions in some people, notably people that are sensitive to aspirin, now when I became diabetic I heard that taking aspirin each day would be helpful to the blood and so I did but I got a bit of an itchy rash and so my doctor told me to not take it any more. So that is one thing. Also, the website I found says that those colourings can cause a skin rash if you are sensitive to it. So to me, it is pretty flipping obvious what needs to happen, I need to have my medicine changed from Forceval to something else. I am hoping that my GP agrees with this, even if it is just for a month or two to see if the rash vanishes when I do.
What I am wondering about is what else could they put me on if it is the Forceval that is causing the problem? Forceval is a high dose medication I believe and just swapping it out for regular multivits wont do it surely? So what else will I be able to take? My GP is a bit crap you see and if I can go armed with names of some alternatives then I can get things sorted.
Thanks in advance xx
Steph xx

Hi Steph,

sounds like you have done your homework on this hun and it does appear to be the forceval that is causing your probs.

Ive never had a prescribed multivit, I use centrum advance, but I think another common prescribed multivit is ketovite. Im afraid I have no idea whether that contains the same additive that is causing your rash.

My surgeon says it doesn't matter and that the OTC vitamins are just as good. I take those and my bloods show I am doing fine.

Hi

Was going to post this before when I saw your thread but didn't!!

I have an allergy to E124 - found out from sucking red throat and cough sweets - ended up having adrenalin in A&E and my rings cut off!!

I'd had problems with a red colouring as a child but seemed to grow out of it

Getting good at reading labels and it affects one brand of Cocodamol the chemist keep trying to give me!

Back to vitamins - I have Centrum now but Sanatogen is as good - I get Centrum on prescription but in some areas some people get the Santogen.

According to the dietician at my local support group Tescos A-Z are as good and often on offer

It must be a multivitamin and multimineral product so you get all you need

So it is very probable its E124 thats affected you - its been banned in the US cos it causes allergies!!

Good luck with your GP

Angela xx

Ketovite is the other high strength alternative. I am from the high strength camp myself, long term evidence shows we are at a high risk of deficiency and OTC multis just aren't strong enough in the long term. In the short term we all have reserves of vits and minerals to keep our levels up but 5, 10, 15 years out is when the problems start.

Ketovite from memory looks very different to Forceval, it isn't a massive red gelcap, I think its a smaller white tablet, so unlikely to contain the problem e numbers. Here is the Patient Information Leaflet Ketovite Tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - electronic Medicines Compendium (eMC)

Interestingly, while googling I came across Abidec and Dalivit, but I don't think they contain minerals. May be worth a more in depth google though.

Ketovite doesn't have the necessary vits and minerals that we need - according to my dietician - specific OTC vits and minerals are the only alternatives to Forceval if allergies is the problem

Ketovite only has Vit C B E K and folic acid - it needs to be taken with Ketovite liquid - bet thats vile!! lol

Hope this helps

Angela

Back