• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I a good candidate for surgery

mumsie74

Good morning, I'm wondering if the you lovely folk here can let me know if you
Think I may have a chance of getting surgery. I'm now 5ft 4 and weight at start of this
Was 20st 13. I have been referred to the dietician by the doctor after asking to
Be referred for surgery. Doctor is behind me but explained I need to do weight. Management
Through a dietician for some months to show I'm commmited. I have lost 8llbs in a month which
Has been very difficult due to medication I take which causes weight gain and. have til 3rd dec to make that amount at least a stone.

I have been on orlistat since beginning of the year. Being overweight since a child
I'm now ready to make the change for good. Would I be given the choice of band or
Bypass?
I would love any advice you can give to help push this along faster.

Hi your story and weight are very similar to mine , my biggest tip would be never give up never cancel appt to dietician even if you think you have not lost as much as you like keep taking orlistat coz i was turned down once because i hadn't taken it enough. I'm now waiting for surgery date all funding etc agreed had pre op assessment on Monday this week :) so good luck with everything xx do you have diabetes or sleep apnoea asthma etc as these add to the cause of needing surgery x

Thanks for replies, I don't know anyone has been through this or as
Overweight as me so its nice to find people out there like me. I live in scotland
So will probably be in for a long weight due to the number of cases put forward each
Year for surgery are quite low. I do have other issues and family history of heart probs etc to help build my case for surgey,
So not too worried, I'm more worried about how long will they want me to lose weight
For before putting me on the waitlist and applying for funding etc. Its such a long process
I'm struggling with the weightloss myself but if I don't stick to this I know I won't
Get surgery and that's my only hope now.
Why is it such a battle to lose the weight and I only need to look at a biscuit and on the weight goes!! I'm so fed up of dragging around this extra weight.

i think ur are...ive a bmi of 44 but have no health problems at all as of yet and ive been referred for surgery,just waiting now xx

it isn't easy and every pct has different criteria so i don't know about scotland but someone on here will be able to help but i do know not to give up i was turned down more than once and here i am waiting (im)patiently xx

not sure about scotland but best of luck in your journey

Back