• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello, I'm new and looking forward to getting to know you lovely people x

JoanneHodgin

Hiya I'm Jo.

As you know I'm a newbie here.
I'm in the Preston (Lancashire) area.
I'm at the very 1st steps of this journey. Like many of you I've always been a big girl!
It's only recently that I have been motivated to do something about it.
I also have pcos an underactive thyroid.

My gp suggested that I tried Orlistat in January of this year.
Luckily I haven't experienced the horror stories that can be associated with it. I have managed to loose 2st slowly but surely by making changes to my diet.
Although my weight is coming down my motivation is dwindling.
I feel that my main issue is portion control and snacking when I'm bored. I feel weight loss surgery would be a great tool for me.
I'm worried that if I was to stop taking Orlistat that I would end up back at square 1.

At my last GP weigh in I requested to be referred for weight loss surgery.
Although my doctor has been very supportive so far and has been very happy with the weight loss I have achieved; I got the impression that he didn't think the risk of surgery was worth it. He said that if I continued the way I have been doing that I wouldn't need it.
I beg to differ!
I'm 131kg so still have a long way to go.

My GP did however refer me to a dietician.
I'm confused! Is this the 1st step on the road to weight loss surgery? Or has my doctor sent me down a different cul De sac to keep me quiet?

Thanks for listening to my ramblings!
I look forward to getting to know you; and listen to your advice x

Hi

Welcome!!

I tried oralistat without any real joy, I funded myself to get the band done as couldn't wait the length of referral time as was getting less mobile, more health problems etc!

I suggest you go back to your doc and be firm with them, explain battle everyday and you need to move to next step!! Not sure if dietician part of it, think it varies where u live but sooner you start then more options you will have !

Well done on your losses already!! Xxx

Hello Jo and welcome!
This is a great site. All the very best

Hi Jo, and welcome.
Yes the Dietitian will help, but it depends on where you live. You need to ask about the new rules, which started this April.
If you want NHS, then you have quite a few hoops to jump through, 12 weeks course etc.
Depending on your BMI, if its over 50 its now looking you get straight in within the 6 months, anything under between 12 / 18 Month.

Have a look on this site, under surgical funding you may find some answers there.

Hi Jo!

I also live near Preston. I saw my gp last Monday and she said she would refer me but wasn't sure how and would get back to me. Yesterday I was given a choose and book letter for a diatetics clinic.

Like you I'm not sure if this is the first step on the road I want to travel down or a cul de sac as my gp doesn't know what to do or perhaps a necessary pit stop while we tick the boxes the nhs need ticking!!

I am going to call the dept today and ask them as it will be difficult for me to get there and I dont want to go if it's a waste of time! Will let you know what they say!

Update - have called them - they say that it is the correct pathway and the dietician will assess you and decide if you are suitable for bariatric surgery?! We shall see, which hospital have you been referred to?

Last edited:
Hi Yvonne,
I think I replied to your "hello" thread x

I'd be really interested in any information you get regarding the referal. Thanks

Back