• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi everyone, newbie here

Potnoodle88

Hello everyone.

I'm 27 and have struggled with weight since my early teens. I have tried everything from weight watchers, slimming world, low carb, no carb. I even had diet pills from the doctor called Orlistat and nothing works for me.

I have a bmi of over 40 and accordingly to the NhS website this meets the criteria for WLS but I am nervous to speak to my doctor (new doctor as old doctors shut down)

If I explain my struggles to the doctor and say I want to be referred will they do this? Or will they make me jump through hoops? From what I have seen and heard I believe they have made it easier now to be referred.

Thanks in advance
Charlotte

Hi and Welcome!

My personal experience with my own GP was not very good, to be honest they just didn't want to know. I was told I'm not a priority case!

But I will qualify that with saying I may well have some sort of "difficult" or non-co-operative patient markers on my file. When I was first diagnosed diabetic I had issues with the drugs they gave me that weren't resolved until I kicked up a hell of a fuss refused to take the drugs they perscribed and made formal complaints. . . .

But yes to get NHS funding they will make you jump through hoops, you'll be expected to go on supervised weight loss programs and only when they've all failed will you get a referal

Mat

Hi and welcome. I went down the private route, but when I asked my doctor they were perfectly willing to refer me just on my say so, a quick weigh, and a discussion about why diets and pills weren't working. You have nothing to lose by asking.

Good luck! And welcome to the forum - this is a great place for advice and to ask those daft questions that buzz around your brain :) x

Welcome to the site, you are among friends here. All I would say is there is no harm talking to your GP, I was fortunate mine actually suggested it to me. Whats the worst that can happen ?

Hi charlotte I am NHS I was so terrified of asking my GP I burst into tears, she was so relieved I only wanted to be referred for wls she laughed at me lol do it!!! It can time I started a year ago next week and I'm two weeks post op best thing I've ever done ?

Ah wow thanks good to know. I duno what it is but I get so nervous at the doctors so the thought of bringing this up is terrifying. X

hello and a very warm welcome

Hey PotNoodle! My GP had no problems when i asked him to refer me. He was perfectly fine about it and within a month of him referring me i had my first appointment.

Good Luck, hope everything goes well. :)

Hi I think that finding the right gp key. I went to one who basically said I was wasting his time and that I should stop eating. I got sent to dietician whose idea of helping was sitting there going through a magazine.

I changed my gp and he was great so understanding. I had referral quick. Hospital was a nightmare sent to four different hospital before gp stepped in and took control making sure I wasn't messed around.

Finding a great gp is key and not being afraid to change to find one right for you.

Now been referred to Salford yeah and have funding yeah. Just waiting for first appointment :)

Hi Charlotte
I made appointment to see my GP and simply told him I wanted him to refer me for WLS, I had a bmi of 40 so told him I met the nice criteria I also explained that I had already been referred in past to weight watchers , gym and also dietician and had also tried orlistat from GP too. This is all history of previous attempts to lose weight and current bmi meant I had failed to maintain any previous losses, I had got to a point where I thought what have I got to loose, he referred me straight away I just made sure he knew I had thought long and hard about it before making decision to ask for referral, so my advice is go in there be assertive but knowledgeable they can't really refuse when you have fact on your side, best of luck Xx

Back