• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another Newbie from Gloucester who needs help please!

LeaSparkle

Hi everyone.

I am just starting out on the Gastric Band Path.

Usual story about yo-yo dieting and vlcd's!

I finally had enough last September and went to see my G.P.

Again usual story of breaking down and asking for a referral for a band.

I just received an appointment for Gloucester Royal Dietetics for 15th February. I am already feeling a bit defeated by how long I may have to wait even if I do get referred for a band. I also feel very aprehensive that I won't be referred for a band. I don't think I could cope with a refusal!

I would love some information from anyone who can tell me what to expect from this initial appointment? I am so scared!

Also any tips would be ace!

Please help me!

Sparks xxx

Hi,
Welcome to the site! You'll (hopefully) find all of the information you need to make an informed decision! I originally wanted a band but after doing a lot of research, and getting a LOT of valuable information off this website I am having a bypass. I'm sure you have done all of the research already so are fully-informed!! I'm still pre-op but will help answer any questions!!!

Good luck!!

xxxxxxxx

I'm just worried that maybe they'll be surprised that I want wls! Expecting them to drone on about dieting etc... maybe I'm just blinkered.

Thanks for replying so soon though!

It differs area to area. Have you checked out what the guidelines are for your PCT (Primary Care Trust)? Hope you don't mind me asking but what is your BMI? And do you have any co-morbidities (e.g. Diabetes etc). You don't have to tell me!! There may be people in the same area who can tell you roughly what the process is!!!!!

I'm at the Whittington Hospital, London and the first appointment is a group information session so I'm guessing the process is slightly different.

I am 5'7 and last time the doctor weighed me I was 110kg but I think I've put on since September. I'm playing heavily on the depression card, I also have arthritis. My family has a history of heart disease and cancer.

Haven't heard anything about PCT guidelines?

Based on the info above your BMI is about 38. I can't remember if arthritis counts as a co-morbidity.

I have borrowed this from another part of the site (Thanks Mini):

If you are new to seeking surgery on the NHS, there are a few bits of information that you might find useful.

Firstly, you need to know which PCT (Primary Care Trust) you come under. If you are not sure, call your GP's surgery and ask.

If you are in England, most of the PCT's are listed on the BOSPA website. http://www.bospa.org/information.aspx?page=46

Most PCT's follow NICE guidelines, which are as follows -

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/inde...folder&o=30362

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/inde...r=true&o=32418

BMI of 40 or above, or 35 - 40 with co-morbidities.

To calculate your BMI, you can visit the NHS Calculator. http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Health...ator.aspx?Tag=

If you think you qualify, the first place to start is to visit your GP and ask to be referred for funding. If you are unsure, you can contact your local PCT (google PCT and Name to find website) or local PALS office (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) and ask for clarification on your PCT's referral criteria. These contacts can also be used to clarify the referral process if your GP is unsure/unhelpful.

From there on, all PCTs operate differently. Some will require referral to a surgeon for assessment for suitability prior to funding application, some will require referral to a weight management service or bariatric co-ordinator, and some will require the GP to apply for funding first.

When funding is applied for, it will be considered by a panel as part of the PCT.

The process from GP to surgery varies hugely from one PCT to another, and the timescale can take anything from 2 months to 2 years, or longer.

You can read people's stories in the surgery diaries which form part of this section, but please try not to compare of be put off by those who have had lengthy battles or refusals for funding, as every case is treated differently. __________________

Ah HA! Just looking at comorbidities and arthritis is a comorbidity. You are a star Meggie!

Good, good!!! Then, in theory, you should be fine in terms of funding!!!

You will probably find all of the information you need on this website to make a fully-informed decision. Do you definitely want a band? What would you say are your biggest food issues? Are you a volume eater or, are you like me, and like your sweet things and coke??!

I like everything. I can diet easily but then binge. My weight really affects my moods and my moods affects my weight.

8 years ago I was a size 10. I barely ate a thing and exercised for about four hours a day.

Now I can barely go out through the front door. I'm so embarrassed - especially if I see anyone who has only known me as being thin. I feel that this is my only hope. I need to start living my life.

I love sweet stuff but only buy it if I NEED IT - we don't keep it in the house. I need help though. Don't know what I'm going to do if I get rejected for surgery? Rubbish!

The only reason I ask about the types of food you eat is the band and bypass suit different types of people! Personally I don't have the will-power to make the band work! Plus I love my sweet things and drinking coke, both of which you can do with the band!!! I originally wanted a band but now know the bypass is for me!!!

I think I want the band - I hope I can have the band. I think I would have the will power - it's definitely the amount that I eat that needs revision! What about you? What's your story? Really wish I had the cash to go privately but since I had my daughter I haven't worked. Luckily my husband is really supportive.

Well I asked my Doc for a referral on the 22nd of June, had my group appointment in August, had various hoops to jump through and now have my op on February the 19th. I was quite lucky as I managed to get some cancellations along the way!

Personally the things I eat are the problem rather than the amount. I can eat a lot but don't always!! Am currently in a weird happy/nervous/happy kinda mixed up state!!! Will be starting my pre-op diet next week!!!

Haha I was at that stage for a long time!!! The lovely people on this site helped me a lot!!! Feel free to ask as many questions as you like!! There are no stupid questions here!! However, I advise always looking at the search bit first to see if someone has already asked your question!!!

Back